My quilting resolution....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My quilting resolution....

I never make New Year resolutions...because they expire by about day 3 of the new year.

This year I have decided I want to get my quilting under control. First thing I'm doing is quilting the tops I have ready...so far doing good with that. Then I will move on to the projects that are about 1/2 finished and try to quilt them before I move on. Then next I am going to get the quilts made for my grandchildren. And finally move on to the projects that I have the supplies for but have never started on.

I am trying to control the fabric I purchase but I won't cut myself off from buying it.

We'll see how well my plans go...especially when the weather gets nice.

Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Re: My quilting resolution....

Good luck with your resolutions, Shirley! They are good ones! I should adopt them, also! I have a shirt with that saying on it, it is so true! Metaphor for life!

Comment

Sounds like a plan! I don't have too many UFO's, but I do have many, many projects that are ready to go. I have tried to keep from adding to the USO' (unstarted objects) pile, but it is SOOO hard. The temptation is just too much to bear at times.
      Donna

Comment

I am trying to do that also...so tough for me. I love starting a new project, testing out the block to see if I can make and like how it looks. Then, I do not want to go back to that one that is dragging on and on.
        I am starting a Quilt Group at our local library and since I was the one to start it up, everyone assumes that I am going to teach a quilting class. So, I guess I am going to teach some of the members how to quilt. I should be able to do that but it is not what I had in mind at first. HA, just wanted to meet some new people and get together to share our hobby. We will see how this works out. Will let you all know. Brenda

Comment

I am "cleaning up" my UFO's and stash as well. I have projects going in 3 rooms so that I have to look at them and not forget them. This is sometimes a good thing for me, if I get bored or frustrated with a project, I can pick up something else to work on, then return to the first with a clear frame of mind. I have completed several tops that were started a while ago, and have made a lot of space on my project shelf. I promised myself I would only purchase backing and batting but have broken that so many times it's obscene. When I think about what I would do with all of the bare shelves once they're completed, I know that they will get filled up again with more future projects. Isn't it a blessing to have just that as a worry?

Comment

Shirley I am trying to do the same thing, but honestly, first I HAVE to clean and organize LOL. It looks like a tornado hit my sewing room
            Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyLiz View Post
              Shirley I am trying to do the same thing, but honestly, first I HAVE to clean and organize LOL. It looks like a tornado hit my sewing room
              No one would even want to see my room LOL....mine looks like an F10 went through it! But I will get to that when I get some of the projects out of the way. I only work in my sewing room until about 8 p.m. Might work out there longer when the days get longer. I have an Irish Chain that I'm working on, in the house. I can then work until I need sleep or when I don't want to trudge out in the could to go to my sewing room.

Comment

Good Luck! I'm glad you have a plan. My biggest issue is I get the quilt top done but then getting it quilted is another story. So I have ten quilts waiting to be quilted. Last night I sat down and looked at my list and decided which ones I wanted done now and which ones can wait. I did find one that I think I will hand tie instead of sending it to the quilt lady.

Comment

Mine is to at least just finish the tops. I told myself I can't start anything new until I finished three of the tops. Working on the third one now!!!! Waiting to go to Sew Expo to get the thread I need for the quilting, but they will get done!

I have even been good at not buying new fabric! Thank goodness the DD from the past week have not appealed to me at all.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

This sounds like a very sensible plan, Shirley. I feel the same way, yet I bought the DD this morning. It's hard when you're an addict! My name is Susie and I'm a fabricholic....sorry I couldn't resist!!
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I'm trying to do the same thing but it's killing me! I want to clean my sewing room and finish my UFO's. I joined the UFO group but I also joined the "I want to make" group so I'm trying to do both. It's working because I am getting my UFO's worked on but still get to play with something new. I'm going to be taking a break soon though because I am getting bookcases for my sewing room so I will be cleaning up the mess. I also have a pegboard to put up and my hubby and I made a thread holder. I can't wait to get it all sorted out because I work so much better in a clean and organized space. Then look out...there will be no stopping me!
                      Cil
                      A quilt is a blanket of love
                      http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                      http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I agree about the resolution as far as the fabric !!! I am a new quilter, and according to my DH I have enough fabric to sell it BACK to Jo-Ann's or MSQC....his favorite saying when I come home from Jo-Ann's " Did you leave enough for everyone else that was there ? " ( Cute....)
                        I just found a BIG box of fabric I didn't know I had a week or two ago......so, did that keep me out of the fabric stores ? No...of course not.
                        All kidding aside, I need to curb this spending habit ....I really do, it's just that it so much fun buying fabric ! I found some steam locomotive fabric here at MSQC....and I really, really want that ....!!
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Originally posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
                          I agree about the resolution as far as the fabric !!! I am a new quilter, and according to my DH I have enough fabric to sell it BACK to Jo-Ann's or MSQC....his favorite saying when I come home from Jo-Ann's " Did you leave enough for everyone else that was there ? " ( Cute....)
                          I just found a BIG box of fabric I didn't know I had a week or two ago......so, did that keep me out of the fabric stores ? No...of course not.
                          All kidding aside, I need to curb this spending habit ....I really do, it's just that it so much fun buying fabric ! I found some steam locomotive fabric here at MSQC....and I really, really want that ....!!
                          I think what helped me curb my spending was when I realized I was buying so much fabric and it was just sitting there because I was too busy shopping to actually get my quilts finished. When I go to the LQS now...I get what I need and then may look around a bit and buy some stuff.....but no more just stopping in to see what's new. When I look at the DD now (unless it is totally spectacular) I think "what will I make with that"...if nothing comes to mind in a couple of minutes I close it.

But that's just the way I've been doing it and I could fall off the wagon anytime LOL. DH still wants to go to Bluffton this week-end, there's a quilt shop and a gun/antique shop, so of course I can't come home empty handed. The only thing DH has said recently is you do get a ridiculous amount of packages...I just think he's jealous.

Comment

Working...
                          X