How do you . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you . . . .

. . . . use starch? I didn't know about using starch on my very first project (and it looks rough LOL) but I want to see if it will make a difference for me on my second project. Starch isn't something I ever used even in ironing clothing so I'm clueless.

Do you starch and press your fabric before you cut OR after you get it pieced in a block? Both? How hot do you set your iron? Steam or dry?

Since it's most easily available to me, I just bought some Sta-Flo and a spray bottle, mixed it 50/50 and I'm ready to go . . . but I just need to know which direction to go with it LOL Is a 50/50 mix too strong? How stiff should my fabric wind up? Although, I did notice Niagra had a lovely smelling non-aerosol product on the shelves that I may just have to try.

One more question: Am I asking too many questions? You all are such a helpful bunch and I certainly appreciate the advice I've gotten thus far.
    Renee

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle ~ Plato:)

Re: How do you . . . .

I starch and iron the fabric before cutting. As to the ratio of starch to water, it's kind of up to you. Some use it full strength, some 50/50. I use my Rowenta on the hottest setting, but when using my vintage Sunbeam I set it one notch below. It gets hotter and the highest setting is too hot.

Comment

I use Best Press, lightly mist, let it set about ten seconds, and press.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I use Best Press, let my blocks dry completely after pressing before moving them. Then they keep their shape and don't get wonky, even with bias edges.

Comment

Niagra non aerosol is my favorite also. Inexpensive compared to some, but still cheaper to mix your own. I starch after cutting, especially if a bias cut was made, and once my block is finished. No steam and a cotton setting on my iron.
          sigpic

Comment

I use Best Press as well.
            Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I use a 50/50 mix and spray the backside of fabric. I found it's best to let the fabric absorb the starch and then I will press. Usually I'll lightly roll and fold the fabric and stick it in a grocery bag because I probably won't get back to it right away and I don't want it to dry all the way, but if it does, I use some steam and it's all right. That's my optimum situation and it doesn't always get done.

I like the Best Press, but it's hard to find around here and shipping is costly, so I mix my own.

I like the starched fabric when I cut. Seems to help me get a straighter cut.

Comment

I make my own from a recipe I got here on the forum. spray wait a min or 2. then press and let cool before moving
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

There was a lady that lived next door when I was in my teens (many years ago) that sprayed hers, then put them in the freezer. Why I don't know. Didn't ask. Wasn't on my radar screen at that age.
                  Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

I now use staflo with a 50/50 mix. I starch before cutting. I do let it sit a few minutes before pressing. Used to use Best Press, but its a little expensive and I like the results with the staflo just a little better. I do put some lavender essential oil in for a nice scent.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
                      There was a lady that lived next door when I was in my teens (many years ago) that sprayed hers, then put them in the freezer. Why I don't know. Didn't ask. Wasn't on my radar screen at that age.
                      My mom would put her starched clothes in a plastic bag in the refrigerator until she was ready to iron. I think it was to let the starch set and also to prevent mildew.

Comment

Never can be too many questions. You never know who else needs to know the answer. Newbie here.
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I use Best Press also, but have never let it sit before I press. I will have to try that because sometimes I feel like the best press doesn't work too well.
                          Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
                            I remember my Mom starching my Dad's shirts and then rolling them up, putting them in a plastic bag and placed them in the refrigerator overnight. I have no idea why, either.
                            Cheryl

Comment

Renee you are too funny. The only starch my mom ever used when I was growing up was from an aerosol can. I have seen jugs of starch at the store but have no idea how to use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X