Favorite machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite machine

I am new to the quilting world. Have had the same machine (Singer Touch Tronic) for about 25 years. Never have had a problem with it but would like to update. Any suggestions for a new machine? Don't want to spend my life savings!

Re: Favorite machine

I would suggest that you attend a quilt expo if possible. That is a great place to try out all the different types of machines. They usually have some great specials as well. I was personally shocked by how much I fell in love with Pfaff and their IDT system. It's like the smoothest stitching! The IDT™ System guarantees the optimal feed you expect on all kinds of fabrics. Everything stays in place. Lightweight and silky fabrics don’t pucker; stripes and plaids match perfectly; curved seams are easy, with very little pinning required. The Original IDT™ System is exceptional for grasping and feeding small fabric pieces, with maximum precision and professional results. Your PFAFF® sewing machine effortlessly moves from a single layer to multiple layers and even sews over bulky seams with no hesitation.
    Have a Sewonderful Day,
    Mary T.

Comment

Mary's idea about the quilt expo is great. If you don't have one nearby, then go to every dealer in your area & start trying out different machines. I find that the way a dealer treats you when you're "just looking" is a good guide about how they will treat you when you buy the machine & need it serviced. If they are patient & not pressuring you that's a plus. Also, if you have a quilt store nearby that you like ask them for an opinion. I have a Singer featherweight & an old, old Janome Travelmate & that's how I found the mechanical genius who keeps them purring....
      There are several threads here about various brands that you could check out too
      May the road rise up to meet you...
      May the wind be always at your back...
      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I agree with everyone. Try out all the available machines and make a list of the features that are important to you. I have a Pfaff and absolutely love it. The IDT system is awesome. You may find that a different brand suits your needs better. Good luck with your search. Buying a new machine can be confusing but it is so much fun when you finally get one home.
        Ann

Comment

Agreeing to try out as many machines as you. The list of wants can be important. It helps you to determine what you want and can help a dealer help you find a machine that fits what you are wanting to do. A few features that I really like are needle down, automatic thread cutter, adjustable speed control. As I research for a new machine, there were features that I didn't know about as I learned about them, I had to decide how important they were while I was looking.

Comment

Also.... Do your research..... Read tons of reviews on the machines that appeal to you... I agree that figuring out what features you really want, is important..... When I bought my first machine in many years, I had no idea about anything.... I mean anything. I bought a Jem Gold (DD has it now)..... It was a pretty basic machine.

My deal breaker are needle up/down... A great feature for quilters....needle threader, and variable speed control....I think an automatic thread cutter would be awesome, and I love the Quick Set Bobbin feature ..... You don't have to pull up your thread... Just drop the bobbin, pull the thread through a shorty guide, and sew...

Yes... Go try out as many as you can..... Your dealer, and his/her attitude means everything... See A Small Rant...

Good lick in your search for just the right machine.... Just take your time, and get the machine that guts both your budget and your needs....do NOT allow anyone to pressure you into buying.... Walk away from anyone who tries.... And tell them why you are leaving.... It might give that person food for thought, and help him ir her become a better sales person.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I agree with the above - figure out what you want out of a machine first! Read up on a few machines in your price range, then visit the dealers and see what they have and how they treat you. Then test drive the machines. Read the reviews online again.

Wait for a sale. Often, dealers have a sale during an expo or just after the expo. Check craigslist (I bought my Pfaff there).

Comment

I would add one thing, don't trade your old machine in. For that old of a machine you won't get much out of it and it is nice to have that second machine.
                Be blessed,
                Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Comment

Thank you everyone! I'm going to start shopping around soon!!!

Comment

Weight is a factor also - if you're going to retreats or classes. I'm glad I have my heavy, solid Janome Memory Craft but I also really needed a lighter weight one so for Christmas I picked out a $400.00 Janome 2030DC - it is missing a couple features but the light weight - 12 pounds -makes up for it. Also, I picked out a couple machines and then read the reviews of them on Amazon. And then I had a price guide when I went to the shop. Have fun shopping and I hope you just LOVE your machine for years to come.

Comment

excellent advice... ALWAYS buy from someone who treats you well!
                      Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                      Mary's idea about the quilt expo is great. If you don't have one nearby, then go to every dealer in your area & start trying out different machines. I find that the way a dealer treats you when you're "just looking" is a good guide about how they will treat you when you buy the machine & need it serviced. If they are patient & not pressuring you that's a plus. Also, if you have a quilt store nearby that you like ask them for an opinion. I have a Singer featherweight & an old, old Janome Travelmate & that's how I found the mechanical genius who keeps them purring....
                      There are several threads here about various brands that you could check out too
                      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                      X