Tag Blanket Toys with scraps/leftovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tag Blanket Toys with scraps/leftovers?

First I guess I should explain what "tag blankets" are for those who may not know: Tag blankets are small (usually 12 to 18" squares of fabric with ribbon loops like clothing tags sewn into the front or more commonly edges. They are for babies to play with or chew on while in the car seat or stroller. You can buy them commercially but they are really easy to make. We have started making them with the scraps/leftovers from the baby quilts we have been making for friends and family. It doesn't really cost much and is a nice little addition. We buy "washable ribbon" at Joann's and use the texured (I call it "nippled" but that may not be the appropriate name?) minky fabric to back them.

Here is one we just threw together for the friends who are getting the http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...aby-quilt.html .

IMPORTANT: Make sure you double/triple/quadruple sew in the tags as they could be a choking hazard if they come off. We sew the tags to the front piece, then sew the front and back together inside out, then sew around the entire edge after it is turned right side out so there are 3 separate lines of stitching holding the tags.

Here are the ribbon loops being pinned to the front ready for the first line of stitches.

Here is the "front" of the finished toy. A decorative zig-zag is used because I'm not very precise. Both mom and dad went to University of Tennessee (Go Vols!) that is why the orange and white was chosen.

Here is the back showing the nippled minky fabric.

This is the only pic I have of the tag blanket we made to go with the http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...uble+hourglass

Does anyone else make these or anything else with the little scraps and leftovers to give as an additional gift with a quilt?
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: Tag Blanket Toys with scraps/leftovers?

These are wonderful. A friend of mine used to make these in block form with the tags sticking out.

Comment

All of my grandkids got these when they were born and seemed to like them, esp. when they were tired. I've have seen them in all kinds of shapes and sizes. I found a football shaped one for my newest grandson. They are really cute. Guess I'll try to make a few and see how they turn out. Thank you for posting. Are you a Daddy yet?
      :icon_wave: Linda
      "Home is where they love you"

Comment

My daughter and I make them with every baby quilt we give as a gift. We have also made several for her kids. We use a variety of colors of ribbons, variety of widths and textures too. My grandkids love them. Nice to have more than one, my youngest granddaughter would not go to sleep without hers, so we had to have more than one so it could get washed now and then. LOL
        :icon_wave:Lisa

Comment

You made me laugh with your "nippled" minky fabric, let's call it textured.
          ♥♥♥ JAM ♥♥♥

Comment

Yes these are vey easy to make, and the babies love them.
            Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

Originally posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
              First I guess I should explain what "tag blankets" are for those who may not know: Tag blankets are small (usually 12 to 18" squares of fabric with ribbon loops like clothing tags sewn into the front or more commonly edges. They are for babies to play with or chew on while in the car seat or stroller. You can buy them commercially but they are really easy to make. We have started making them with the scraps/leftovers from the baby quilts we have been making for friends and family. It doesn't really cost much and is a nice little addition. We buy "washable ribbon" at Joann's and use the texured (I call it "nippled" but that may not be the appropriate name?) minky fabric to back them.

Here is one we just threw together for the friends who are getting the http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...aby-quilt.html .

IMPORTANT: Make sure you double/triple/quadruple sew in the tags as they could be a choking hazard if they come off. We sew the tags to the front piece, then sew the front and back together inside out, then sew around the entire edge after it is turned right side out so there are 3 separate lines of stitching holding the tags.

Here are the ribbon loops being pinned to the front ready for the first line of stitches.

Here is the "front" of the finished toy. A decorative zig-zag is used because I'm not very precise. Both mom and dad went to University of Tennessee (Go Vols!) that is why the orange and white was chosen.

Here is the back showing the nippled minky fabric.

This is the only pic I have of the tag blanket we made to go with the http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...uble+hourglass

Does anyone else make these or anything else with the little scraps and leftovers to give as an additional gift with a quilt?
              I was wondering where you disappeared to! Why does that adorable and what looks like finished Tag Blanket need binding (binding pending)? Late night partying with the hubs so I am not with it today.
              Hugs,
              Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I haven't made one yet but plan to do a few with odds and ends of fabric in different textures and colors. I still need to get the ribbon. Thanks for the tip on triple sewing the tags.

Comment

wonderful gift,,
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lindagie View Post
                    Are you a Daddy yet?
                    Not yet. She had a few stronger contractions yesterday evening but they tapered off.

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                    I was wondering where you disappeared to! Why does that adorable and what looks like finished Tag Blanket need binding (binding pending)? Late night partying with the hubs so I am not with it today.
                    I was homeless and living in hotels because of a major ice storm.

These do not require binding because they are sewn inside out and flipped right side out so all the unfinished seams end up on the inside.
                    • You just cut the two squares (front and back) and put them faces together
                    • Sew around the entire edges leaving only a small (maybe 2-3 inch) unsewn part along the middle of one side.
                    • Turn the entire thing right side out through the opening you left.
                    • Sew the opening closed by hand or with a straight stitch near the edge of both fabrics.
                    • You can sort of see in the first picture how the ribbons need to be positioned in all of this. The "loops" should be facing the center of the block and you should leave longer "tails" sticking out so the second and third rows of stitching will catch them.
                    Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I have been making tote bags to give with baby quilts with leftover fabric.
                      Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Great idea, thanks !!
                        I'm going to be a Nanny again soon so ill make a couple for the new boy/girl that's coming.
                        May the road rise up to meet you...
                        May the wind be always at your back...
                        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                        X