Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you recommend the Crazy Quilt templates? Why or why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you recommend the Crazy Quilt templates? Why or why not?

Just wondering if anyone has used the Crazy Quilt templates and if you would recommend them. I am on the fence about ordering them. I really love the method and look of crazy quilts, but wondering about the need for the templates. Thanks for any information or suggestions!

sigpic
    Marci

Re: Do you recommend the Crazy Quilt templates? Why or why not?

I bought them along time ago, but haven't used them yet. I think the good thing about them is that you can use it for a fussy cut.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think you can do a crazy quilt without a template to cut your center piece. Just cut a 5 sided piece of fabric and go from there.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

It's a set, right? I think the convenience of being able to have that center different sizes would be helpful. Otherwise, I agree with Karen, you can make your own. I prefer Templates, especially from M* as they are quality. They make it easier for rotary cutting IMO.

Comment

I made a crazy quilt after watching Jenny's video. I made me a 5 sided template out of some card stock weight paper I had at home....so you don't have to buy a template. Here's the quilt I made.

Carolynquilt2.jpg Carolynquilt4.jpg
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I have the templates but have not used them yet. I have done crazy quilt without but its nice to have see thru template to fussy cut the center, and sometimes I get lost going around and screw it up with the templates not.
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

I wasn't sure about buying the EZ Simply Crazy template (is that the one you mean?) so I downloaded a photo of one from eBay and enlarged it, printed it out and cut a cardboard template. It worked well for me so I don't think I would go to the expense of purchasing one unless I was going to use it a lot, on the other hand perhaps I might, I love my rulers and templates, makes me feel 'professional'.......even if I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
                I made a crazy quilt after watching Jenny's video. I made me a 5 sided template out of some card stock weight paper I had at home....so you don't have to buy a template. Here's the quilt I made.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67898[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]67899[/ATTACH]
                That is a very pretty quilt!

sigpic
                Marci

Comment

Thanks ozziepuppy.......it was fun to make!
                  "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                  Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

My mom and grandmother used to make crazy quilts eons ago and never used a template. I was surprised to see the crazy quilt templates as I was "window shopping" but I guess if there's a need, there's a market.

Comment

I love crazy quilts, any form. I did however make a doll quilt and decided I'd like all the blocks to match. I didn't know you could buy templates, and made my own. Easy for such a small project. Anyway, if the templates are for each piece, you could use it to make each block the same. A little bit of order to the crazy pattern. If it's just for the center pieces, I'm not sure I'd bother spending money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                        I love crazy quilts, any form. I did however make a doll quilt and decided I'd like all the blocks to match. I didn't know you could buy templates, and made my own. Easy for such a small project. Anyway, if the templates are for each piece, you could use it to make each block the same. A little bit of order to the crazy pattern. If it's just for the center pieces, I'm not sure I'd bother spending money on it.
                        It is just for the center pieces, but there are different sizes of center pieces.

sigpic
                        Marci

Comment

I LOVE your blocks.... So pretty...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I just looked at my crazy quilt templates. They are a 5 piece set all are different shapes. Its not just the center in 5 sizes. Mine will give you a square block when finished , not one hat you go round and round like a beehive. if that makes sense. Mine are from *quilting with Shar* more like these. Magpie Quilts: April 2012
                            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                            Sigmund Freud

Comment

I think if you have big prints you want to highlight these are great for that big middle center.
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X