If you ........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ........

..... ever hear me say I'm going to make another Big Star Quilt - shoot me!!!!!

Re: If you ........

Why, Sweetie?....what happened?
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I have one on my "to do" list. Please tell us why you won't make another.
      :icon_wave: Linda
      "Home is where they love you"

Comment

I have finished putting blocks together for my big star but still trying to decide about borders. What happened?
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Mine when okay and came together quickly.
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I said that after my first Cal King quilt.....I'm now working on my third one!
            sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

I am curious. Are you just tired of your current project or is there something about the Big Star pattern that is particularly problematic? Enquiring minds want to know!

sigpic
              Marci

Comment

Originally posted by ozziepuppy View Post
                I am curious. Are you just tired of your current project or is there something about the Big Star pattern that is particularly problematic? Enquiring minds want to know!
                Me too - I've always wanted to do one but if it is difficult I better wait a few years.

Comment

Where do I start. Followed Jenny's tutorial even buying the same fabric - first the patterned layer cake squares were off and so didn't match the solid squares (had to cut my own 10" squares), so many bias edges against straight edges, so many seams to match. so many points to come together and it's SO BIG which meant a lot of crawling around on the floor. Sorry to be such a misery because in the end I think it will look ok. One good thing that came out of it - I complained to Kansas Troubles about the layer cake but not expecting much to be done. They knew they had had problems with the layer cake cuts and agreed to send me some fabric - as you can see I'm in the UK but they very generously sent me a pile of the same line with which I'll be able to make another quilt but NOT The Big Star. It's probably just me so don't let me put you off having a go - remember, a good workman never blames his tools!!

Thanks all you lovely people - who else would understand my frustration.

Comment

I haven't made a 'Big Star' quilt, but a couple of table toppers. Jenny leaves out two critical steps, in my opinion.
                    For me, 'squaring up' and starching the heck out of each HST was critical for sharp points!
                    Now I haven't been sewing for a gazillion years like her....
                    But if you're a newbie, I would consider adding these two steps, for a pleasing outcome.
                    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Well it was very nice of Kansas Troubles to make good on their product. You don't always see that kind of customer service.
                      On another note, have you tried starching the heck on the HST when you press them? That's what I do, it seems to cut down on the stretching.
                      Oops, New York Sue said it first lol
                      May the road rise up to meet you...
                      May the wind be always at your back...
                      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I'll do that if you will do the same for me if I start another Falling Charms quilt. It's a pretty pattern but it nearly bored me out of my mind sewing and trimming it. Barb
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I am curious too ...WHY wouldn't you make another one ????? I want to make one, but being a newbie "quilter" ( not NEW to sewing though, been sewing for 34 years ) I am curious as to why you don't want to make another big star quilt ? The instructions Jenny did with the tutorial looked pretty easy.....but then too, I thought that about the disappearing Pinwheel....( which I had trouble with) .....So I am thinking that maybe I should wait a little longer to try the Big Star, now that you have mentioned this.
                          Right now, I am waiting on fabric for the Dresden I want to make ( thanks Marilyn ( Auntiemerm ) for giving me info on how many charm packs to order.....how nice of you to do that ! )
                          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I personally LOVE the Big Star pattern. I am also new to quilting, and my first BIG quilt was this pattern in a King Size. Preceded by a couple of baby quilts. I used the trails end layer cake and cut my own light fabrics. I didn't know about starching the HST's or about squaring them before I made my blocks. . . I tried squaring my blocks down to the size of the smallest block and lost most of my seam allowance on most of my blocks. But I loved how it came together, mistakes and all, and my next one was a Mini Big Star out of Charm squares and it turned out great. I think I will be able to eventually (as time allows) do a King Sized quilt out of Mini Big Stars in the seascapes fabric. I think the big star pattern is so appealing that even with mistakes it looks good. Just my little opinion.
                            sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Thanks for all your interesting and encouraging comments. Don't get me wrong I really like the Big Star quilt - clever design, great look and, apparently, easy to put together so maybe it was me just not having the experience and being very critical about how it was coming together. Just MIGHT have a go at a table topper and.... take my time! Cheers everybody

Comment

Working...
                              X