Sewing machine recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing machine recommendations

I'm looking to buy a new sewing machine in the next couple weeks. If you had a budget of $800 what machine would you get? Thanks for your help. I've been doing my research but I'm still at a total loss as to which one I should buy.

Re: Sewing machine recommendations

Go by what dealer/shop you are most comfortable with. Test machines first using fabrics that you use the most.

Ask what their education/owner class policies are. Ask about how they honor warranties. Do they service machines in house or send them out? Do they have techs on staff or techs that just visit the shop on a rotating basis?

Do they sell used machines? What is their trade in policy? What is their used machine warranty/guarantee?

There are really excellent choices of machines on the market today, and VERY very frequently the difference between long term happy satisfied machine ownership is NOT the brand you decide on but the dealer you buy from.
    Cathryn

Comment

I would not want the embroidery function, so I would try to find a used mechanical Bernina in good condition. But that's just me. I know most people like the embroidery these days.

sigpic
      Marci

Comment

Like buying a car, I'd sit down and make a list of everything I'd want on a machine. At the time I bought mine, I did not know about automatic thread cutters, but that would be near the top of my list along w/needle up/down.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I don't know what machine you're coming from, or what you're looking for, but I have a Brother PC420, and I love it. It was under $400, and does everything the $900 viking at Joann's does.
          My friends call me Peggy
          The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

My opinion only...but you can't go wrong with a Janome...I've tried many other brands in the past and I always go back to Janome...
            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Do NOT be in a rush to buy one. It is better to figure out what you want, need, like than to deal with buyers remorse.

Write down what you want in your machine and what your main function of the machine will be - quilting, garment sewing, embroidery . Some of my must have were true adjustable speed, easy to use buttonhole, easy to learn how to use, a needle up/down feature, a dealer that would help and stand behind the product. Go try out the various machines that you are interested in, read reviews from various sources. Talk to the sales people are they friendly, knowledgeable, what kind of machine do they have and why.

I have sewn on a Kennmore for years and grew up sewing on a Singer. But I was ready to be able to do more when quilting. After many months of research, I just bought a new Baby Lock Symphony. The main reason for buying new was for the warranty. Originally, I was looking at a Baby Lock Melody but liked the some of the features of the Symphony better like the computer screen - I thought it would help the children to be able to figure out stitches better and a few other items. So it was more than I had originally budgeted for but I got a good deal and I use it everyday.

I don't know where you live, but the Missouri Sewing Machine Company in the Kansas City area sells both Janome and Baby Lock.

Comment

My advise to you is know what you want on a machine before you go to buy. I agree that there are many good machine brands out there. My mistake was I didn't know what I needed or wanted in a machine. All I knew was that I wanted to learn to quilt. I went to the local Husqvarna/Viking dealer that has since gone out of business. They showed me all their machines,sewing and or quilting. I couldn't afford a "quilting" machine so I bought a sewing machine and the extra feet that I would need. Now that I am quilting I realize that a different machine is what I really needed. I like my machine, it sews wonderfully but it's just not what I need. I think Vikings are too pricey. My next choice would be a brother. You get a lot for a little price. Whatever you buy make sure of your dealer. Since mine went out of business I have to drive 75 miles to a Husqvarna dealer.........

Comment

Working...
                X