How Organized Do You Get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Organized Do You Get?

I have produce delivered to my house each week and it comes in a great cardboard box with a flip-top lid. The company can't reuse the boxes for hygeine reasons. I've started using them as project boxes. I put the name of the project on the front, tuck everything for that project into the box, and put it on a shelf. I have several of these, now, waiting for me to get to them.

Last night I was playing in the Farmer's Wife box and decided it was time to organize better. I went through my stash and cut 6 1/2xWoF pieces of the fabrics I want to use in the quilt, stacked these neatly together, and put them in the box. On top of that pile I put the "larger than scraps" pieces of fabric. In the corner are the two charm packs (Perennial and Notting Hill) that I'm using. And then there's a large zippered bag for all the smaller scraps. Yes, I'm a bit OCD, but it's a comfort to me, knowing everything I need is in one spot for this particular project.

So I'm wondering: how organized are you?
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Re: How Organized Do You Get?

Not as much as I would like to be.

Where DH works, they encourage employees to use/repurpose the cardboard boxes that printer paper comes in. They hold 10 reams of paper and have a nice lid. I have several and I write on the outside like, Asian prints, Thimbleberries, Christmas, Batiks, etc.

I also reuse those nice, clear bags with zippers on them that sheets and drapes come in. My oldest has asked me to hem his drapes and I noticed these nice bags - make great project bags. Asked him if I could have all the bags. What I don't understand is why they are so nice. Who actually puts the drapes or sheets back into these bags? Somebody had to take the time to put these zippers in! ?
    Vonnie

Comment

I love those bags. I do use some to store blankets, and or sheets and such, but the rest are in my sewing room. I have some yarn in a couple of them right now.

I think I need to tell everyone around me to save them for me. I would like some of the smaller ones too.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I use ziploc bags for project bags either gallon or 2 gallon size depending on the project.
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I use Ziploc bags too, but for larger things I use the dollar store "tupperware" containers that stack together on a shelf.
          My sewing room used to be the guest room, so I also hang the large 2.5 gallon ziplocs with a pants hanger (with the two clips) if it's going to be stored for a while. I do this with some UFOs too.

Anything to keep the cat from sitting on it!

Comment

Projects are either in baggies or in plastic totes with lids...fabric is neatly on shelves where I can "shop" my stash easily and batting is hidden in the closet....I ruler fold all my fabric as soon as it comes in the door and put it away; sometimes I might sit and drool over it for a little while!

Comment

thanks to so many of you,, I now am getting lots of work done... the accumulated fabric of amost 40 yrs,, is now out where I can see it all the time... I find something quick and easy, then "shop the shelves" and make it.. mostly for charity.. I don't do "award winning".. but I do make "start to finish" and I finish it all... then send it out.. while I work it doesn't look all that organized..LOL.. but whatever I make I use it all up from the choice.. even use it in the backing.. so nice to be whittling down this stuff,, now if only the yarn would use up that fast.. I made 100 crochet squares and it hasn't even made a dent!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
              Attached Files
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I have some projects in plastic containers from the dollar store, and some others in 2 gallon sized Ziploc bags. I find the Ziploc bags fit in my rolling sewing machine case, which makes it easy when I go on sewing days or retreats.

I do wish my fabric that is not project related would be better organized, but when I try to organize it I run out of steam and patience.
                Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

I'm quite organized, but you have to be when you sew in a small space. Right now things need to be tidied up, but income tax papers rule right now. The office for our company is in one end of the sewing room. I guess many would call me borderline OCD when it comes to organization. I even alphabetize the spices in our cabinets.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                    I even alphabetize the spices in our cabinets.
                    I was going to make a comment, but now I'm laughing too hard! Maybe someday I'll organize my spices too........

Comment

I think I'm doing pretty good. I bought plastic shoe boxes from Wallys for a $1 each for my scraps. Baskets for precuts, comic cards for yardage. It's the other small stuff that ends up on my tables. Sewing feet, bobbins, thread etc. I can't seem to put all that stuff back!
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

....I guess many would call me borderline OCD when it comes to organization. I even alphabetize the spices in our cabinets.
                        I don't think that's borderline....lol!
                        Mary
                        SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I WANT to be you! I used to be, but life took over, and it's hard enough to find a matching pair of shoes.
                          My friends call me Peggy
                          The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

I just did that about two days ago! I even made a print out so I could tape it on the door so I wouldn't buy the same one again!

I can post it so you can copy it. lol
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a 3-ring notebook that I keep for quilting which helps me to see where projects are at and what I have to work on/with.

I keep each quilt project in a 2.5 gallon ziplock bag. Each one is labeled with what the project is, the fabric and amount of fabric.

Because my sewing area is in the living room, it is picked up each night. Never know when one may have company drop by.

I use to be one that had all the spices alphabetized and all the cans in the pantry organized, then children came along and it has became disorganized. Some areas I have kept very organized and others have not stayed so organized.

Comment

Working...
                              X