Where do you get patterns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get patterns?

Where do you get your patterns? Do you buy them individually, get them from books, get them free from tutorials or do you see something and just "wing" it?

Joanne
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: Where do you get patterns?

All of the above.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Since 99% of what I've learned comes from Jenny's You-Tube tutorials, mostly I do the blocks she teaches. That said, I also have looked at pictures and figured out how to do them. I also play around and spend time drawing things so I can figure out what/how many to cut. Love to look at a finished quilt and think, "Oooh, I see what she did there!" and try it out myself.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
        All of the above.
        That's a Ditto for me.

Comment

When I grow up I want to be able to do "all of the above" but even watching the tutorials throws me. I can understand through the tuts how to construct the blocks but when it comes to putting things together, having that "complete" picture, I'm not there yet. So far only complete instructions make sense to me. I am sure I can do the blocks. Just don't know what to do after that (i.e., figuring out borders, measurements, sashing, etc.).
          Hugs,
          Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I don't use books all that much. I watch a ton of YouTube and of course have used Jenny's tutorials. I also buy individual patterns. I've made simple, very simple, things on my own by drawing it out on graph paper.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
              All of the above.
              Ditto, but I tend to print off free ones on line the most.....
              Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I love quilt books - I'm a quilt book junkie. Also a quilt class junkie! I take as many classes as I can around here and at quilt shows. I get lots of ideas from them. At quilt shows I take lots of pictures. I get so many ideas of patterns and colors from the quilts I see there. Quilt shops usually have lots of samples, too.

I never follow a pattern exactly. I want my quilts to be completely different than anything I've already seen. I also like quilt magazines and thankfully can get them free from my quilt guilds. Even old ones have lots of great ideas in them.

I have an easier time with written instructions than from tutorials. Look at thrift shops for quilt books. I often find them at Goodwill. Have fun looking for new ideas! That's one of the funnest parts of quilting for me and it gets easier the more quilts I see.
                Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                  Where do you get your patterns? Do you buy them individually, get them from books, get them free from tutorials or do you see something and just "wing" it?

Joanne

A little bit of all
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

A bit of all for me too. I love classes, but nothing close by so I have to do all online.
                    Karen
                    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I mostly try to stay with free patterns. If I see a pattern I really like and cannot figure it out, I'll buy it.
                      Cil
                      A quilt is a blanket of love
                      http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                      http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I never buy patterns. If I don't get them out of quilting magazines I .... have a laptop and I will google images of what I want, then when I find the right image I right click on it and save it in my documents or desktop. From there you can blow it up the the size you want,(use the up key on the computer) and very, very, lightly trace it off your computer screen with tracing paper. I have done this for years and anything I can't blow up big enough I use my projector. The key is tracing it very lightly not to mess up your screen. I never have but know people who have. This is great for applique. I hope this helps you.
                        Hugs
                        Rhonds

Comment

I've bought E.B.'s QIAD Log Cabin and QIAD Underground Railroad Sampler books. A friend gave me another quilting book that I can't remember the name of but I have not made any quilts from it.

Most of the quilts I make are from free online patterns. Summer love, Bento Box, No-Triangle Zig-zag, Double Hourglass, Irish Chain, etc.
                          Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I have either used Jenny's tutorials or made my own patterns. The only 4 pattern magazines that I have bought are the 4 that Jenny did. I do so much better with a visual step by step demonstration than trying to read the pattern instructions.

Comment

I love pinterest for patterns and my good friend gives me the American Patchwork and Quilting magazine, I have more ideas than I will ever have time for..lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X