How much would you pay for a class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would you pay for a class?

We have a family owned fabric chain here (on three islands) and I got my monthly email from them this morning. Since each store teaches something, I check out Maui. They are offering classes on microwave bowls, fabric boxes, fabric bowls, a couple of other things. All include the kit for $20 each.

Since we all share tutorials here and know how easy these are, would you pay $20? What is your limit on a class?
    🌺 Lorie

Re: How much would you pay for a class?

It depends on how long the class is. I'm willing to pay $40-50. for an all-day class. A 4-hour class, maybe $25. Sometimes there is an extra fee to the instructor for supplies. Usually you need to have your own fabric & supplies. If a special ruler or template is required, that's extra $, too. I know some of the classes at the Rocky Mtn. Quilt Festival were $100. for all day. These were taught by national, well-known experts. One of my friends took a LA class from Irene Blum; she felt it was well worth the $ & said she learned a lot. I paid $90. for my beginner's quilting class, which met for ~2 hrs. each wk. for 8 sessions. JCY

Comment

If it was something I wanted to make, I would pay $20 for a class with the kit included!!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I haven't taken a quilting class in quite awhile, but I see from the emails I get from the LQS they all seem to charge $40 - $45 for a half day class & up to $75 for all day classes. Guess everything is more expensive here in Los Angeles.
        That being said, I think if it was something I really wanted to learn I'd pay what they ask,,,
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I would pay $20 for a classes, especially if it included the materials! That's quite a good price.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

$20 for a class including supplies is a great price. How long are the classes?
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

The most I've paid (well it was a present from Monkeyman) was $100 for a two day, all day class for a paperpiecing class for the Feathered Star by Quiltworx. It was work every penny! Even having to drive 30 miles to get to it and it was still worth it!

Around here, I have never seen a class for just $20 that includes all your supplies.
              Last edited by bubba; February 3, 2014, 08:34 AM.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I would pay $20 for a class with the supplies included.
                Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I'd pay that in a heartbeat. That's the cheapest price for any class that I've seen. And materials included? Wow! Make sure you take photos of what you make. Wish I were there, I'd go with ya!

Hugs,
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                  http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                  http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I'd pay $20 for a class with materials furnished.
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I think $20 for a two-hour class WITHOUT materials is reasonable, especially if it's a one-time-only class, as opposed to an 8-week course. Not that I could afford it, but I don't think it's too much to ask. It's only $10/hour if it's a two-hour class; what is the going rate for zumba classes at the gym, or ceramics classes at your local senior center? Remember that the fewer students a class has, the more time you're going to get one-on-one with the instructor, so that's also something to consider.

Comment

Our guild frequently has day long classes that usually run in the $35 to $40 price range but that doesn't include materials or usually the pattern. I have been very pleased with the ones I have taken and thought the pricing reasonable.
                        They also had one for $90 that I did not think reasonable and didn't take but the class was filled none the less.

Comment

I went to a three day seminar with Eleanor Burns, it was $400, but it was three full days, we got all the materials for three different lap quilt tops, lunch and use of our very own BabyLock high end machines, every day a different kind of machine. Plus we got an autographed copy of EB's hardback book. I thought it was quite a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                            I went to a three day seminar with Eleanor Burns, it was $400, but it was three full days, we got all the materials for three different lap quilt tops, lunch and use of our very own BabyLock high end machines, every day a different kind of machine. Plus we got an autographed copy of EB's hardback book. I thought it was quite a good deal.
                            It would be a miracle if we ever had something like that over here! Sounds like it was way worth it.

Well I made a mistake. I went back to the ad and it was $25 to make a microwave bowl. I think that's a little high for a simple craft project that's all over the internet.
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'd take the class for $25 in a heartbeat. You can learn so much from an experienced teacher. I'm sure you'd learn lots more than just about the subject you're paying for. I always get little tips and tricks from the classes I take.

I've paid $125 for a two-day class from a great teacher and it was worth every penny. I'm hoping she comes back.

It's also fun to be with other women learning the same things. Just the experience is worth the money. I say go for it!
                              Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Working...
                              X