How Long ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long ?

This might be a crazy question, but how long does it take most of you "experienced " quilters to make a quilt top ?
    I think I have also asked this second question, but do you tend to have more than one quilt going at a time ? My DH thinks I am "nuts" for wanting to start another quilt at the same time....his reasoning ? "Are you sure you are going to finish the first one you started ?" Well, of course I think I am going to finish the first one....( I didn't tell him that a couple of friends of mine who quilt have unfinished quilts that are several years old....( LOL ...) and I don't think I will mention that ( ??? )
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Re: How Long ?

I would say it depends on the size of the quilt, the pattern, and how much time you have to devote to it. Also on how fast you sew. If I have an entire day, with no kids to watch, I can get a simple baby quilt completed in a day. Usually no more than a couple for any of the baby quilts I have finished this year. Don't worry about what 'experienced' quilters do. Do it at your own pace, in your own time. We all have different time lines.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

I think a lot of how long does it take depends upon what the pattern is and the size of the quilt. When I just do a basic sew 4 pack of 5 inch charms or a 10 inch layer cake, I can easily have the top done from planning to sewn in a day. But when it is more complicated pattern, it could take a while. There are a couple of quilts that I want to make knowing that it will take me several months or years to complete.

As far as having more than one quilt going at a time, I have a couple going on right now. Some of that is due to waiting for fabric or a tool. Usually if I am to the point of handwork, I will start another project. I have spent the last couple of days finishing up some quilts. I know some ladies who have a quilt they are working and also keep some sort of handwork that they can have when they are waiting somewhere or watching TV to work on.

There is no right or wrong way as far as how long it takes to complete a project or how many you have in progress.

Comment

Well, my first quilt took 3 months. I am happy to say I have improved on my time. I don't have interruptions when making quilts, so that means I can get one done in fewer days. From start to finish (doing throws) I've timed myself at 36 hrs. The only reason I know it by hours is because I am needing to figure out hourly rates so that I can sell them.
        But the main thing with making quilts is to enjoy the process. That's part of the fun.
        :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

I'm going with the others... depends on the pattern and size of quilt I am making. I set aside an hour or two each day to sew and that is about it as far as keeping track of how long it takes me to make a quilt.. from start to finish.

I'll average about 4 to 6 months to make a double bed size quilt... Never get in a hurry... this is a hobby and not a race. Relax and enjoy the process. (I esp love the part of gathering fabric!!!)
          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
          :icon_wave:

Comment

I've got a bunch of quilts in the making. The Farmer's Wife quilt is over a year old and I've got only half of the blocks done. I put it aside when I got bored of the colors. I've got a t-shirt quilt ready to be sashed, but I'm waiting on the okay by DD. I just finished the blocks from the Sugar Block Club and the other BOM class I took; I need to buy material to sash them. So that's four that I can remember off the top of my head.

At first I was bound and determined to have just ONE project going at a time. I was amused that so many people had a bunch of quilts going on at one time, and I really didn't understand why they operated that way. It didn't take long for me to see what happens.... I soon found myself wanting to try another pattern or fabric before I had finished with the first. It's like potato chips, you can't have just one. For me, it's easy to deal with. I have one project I work on at home, one that I take to my quilting circle, one that I work on at the church group.

It doesn't take me long to make a quilt when I've got everything I need. If it is an easy pattern, it can be done in a day.

Comment

I agree with what everyone else is saying, Jacqueline! Sometimes regardless of the level or experience, I will speak for myself. I will admit I can overwhelm myself quite easily getting too many UFOs going at the same time. I see a new design/pattern I want to try, or I an imaginative image will pop in my head and I go to my sewing room to try and create what I envision.
              Dear husbands may not always understand a quilter's ingenuity and process; yes, many would think, start a project and complete the project. One at a time.....that's not been me over the past several years. Baby showers pop up, weddings of close people come into play, and gifts for the family members we love so much? I give what I create to those instances because I care and I want that gift to be something special.
              I don't always get the uninterrupted time I would like, nor have the tools of the trade that would make it faster for me. So, I do what I can and work on what makes me happy for the amount of time it takes!!!!
              Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I make many quilt tops in one day. El Burns quilt in a day really do work. Right now I have 2 tops done ready to quilt and I am working on a baby top and a wall quilt top. The longest I have taken to make a quilt top probably 6 months. Sometimes I get bored doing the same thing and take a break for something else.
                Have a Sewonderful Day,
                Mary T.

Comment

I " " (ditto) everyone else. I track my hours on each quilt I work on and 36 hours is approximately a good time for something not fancy, however, it takes longer to finish a larger, more complex pieced project. I do very well until I get to the quilting part. I usually finish the top, prepare the backing and put together with the appropriate backing and then put in the quilting room with other projects waiting to be finished.

I do confess however, that I sometimes get bored working with a particularly complex block and put it aside for awhile, but that's the project I pick up again before the next one.

Comment

I agree with the others. Depends on the pattern and size of the quilt of course. And, don't let the titles of the pattern fool you either. Quick and easy? HA! 1- Minute Block? HA! Usually not for me as I seem to turn a fold wrong or sew a wrong seam and out comes my friend, the Ripper!
                    I also tend to add extra time to my projects simply by looking at the directions and think it will be too complicated so put that particular step off and when I finally do sit down and do it, well, turns out it is simpler than I thought.
                    Sometimes I take longer to choose the fabrics than it does to make the top.
                    Just enjoy what you are doing and have fun.
                    There are no 'rules' except the ones you change and make to your liking.
                    As for having more than one project going at one time - don't worry, your DH won't ever understand that.

Hugs,
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Mine also depend on size and difficulty of the quilt. I've finished some in a week, and others took months. I do like to have two quilts going at the same time. Tend to get bored with the same blocks over and over again, so it helps having two projects to switch between.

Comment

I like to have a second [or third] quilt cut out so that I can use some of the fabric as "starters and enders". It is surprising how often I have to stop and iron a step when chain piecing and I love to use that stop to put through a next project piece instead of just wasting the thread.
                        Our guild is having a UFO finish challenge this year and it made me cut out a bunch of things and I did not like having 10 projects started. I am whittling it down little by little and working on #6 so the pressure is lessening. Two or three at once is enough for me.

Comment

There are too many things in everyday life to be stressed with! I intend patchwork and quilting to help me AGAINST stress. So, I purposely take my time and enjoy every step. Of course, in my case it is a hobby and not a paying job. I always have a few projects going on at the same time, so that depending on the means and the mood, I may choose to do some cutting, or piecing, or machine quilting, or hand quilting, or appliquéing... I don't think of my UFO's as UFO's, for none of them has been forgotten and packed away: every now and then (a few days, a couple of weeks) I work a little in any of them, so I am slowly coming closer to the FINISH. Once in a while, though, I may need to speed a little for a specific deadline (a birthday present, for example) but they usually are small projects so that the pressure is controllable.

Comment

I have done some in a few hours and others have taken months...depends on the difficulty factor and time management on my part.....have completed a quilt from start to finish in a day but not very often! LOL

Comment

The time it takes depends on how complicated the piecing is. And yes, I have more than one quilt top in the works at a time.
                              Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
                              X