comparison machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comparison machines

I am looking to get a new machine in March (birthday present). I have an $89 Brother now. It works fine but there are some features I really want. I am looking at 2 Brother machines. One or the other has features I want.

PC420PRW and SE400:
    Thread cutter
    Threader
    Start/Stop
    Speed control
    Needle up/down
    Free arm
    Drop feed dogs

The pc420 has:
    294 stitches
    11 presser feet
    Hard case
    2 LED lights
    Metal frame
    850 spm
    Knee lifter (love this)
    7.5 harp
    Presser foot adjustment
    Custom stitches

The SE400 has:
    Embroidery (love this)
    67 stitches
    Computer usb
    710 spm
    1 light
    Plastic frame
    5.5 harp
    7 presser feet
    5 fonts
    Soft case

They are under $400.

So both are loaded with features in my price range. No going over that. I want to hear from people who have these and want to know what it is you wish they had or what you don't like about them. There are over 300 reviews that give these 4.5 out of 5 stars so I know the good points. What do you wish they had that they don't?

If anyone knows of another machine in this price range with these features, I'm willing to check it out.

Thanks,
    Joanne
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: comparison machines

I have had my PC420 for about a year. I love it! I only wish it had a larger throat space, but really for that price I don't think you can find something with a larger throat space. Other than that, I have no complaints and highly recommend it.
    Lori

Comment

I don't have either machine, but if I were buying, as a quilter, I'd go with the 420.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Like Karen i don't heve either but i do hav other brothers.... here is my 2 cents.....1. the bigger the throat space the better....2. In reality you will probably only use on an everyday/weekly basis 5-10 stitches, and some of them are just different length-width of a straight or zigzag stitch. 3. the stitch per minute you will not notice the speed difference until you don't have it..understand? The lights are important!!! You have to be able to see what/where your sewing. Now what i have said applies to any machine. The metal frame will help weigh down your machine so that when you are sewing at a fast speed it will not jump all over the table.
        Last edited by kelliedi; January 31, 2014, 09:11 PM.
        :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

There is a 3 lb difference between the two. I'm torn between them because the knee lift is sweet but so is being able to do some embroidery. I like the 7.5 harp. Mine has that now.
          Hugs,
          Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I have to say I would go with the PC 420. I have probably had the little Brother you have, and just bought one for my youngest GD to learn on. I think you will be happier with this than the others. Believe me when I say, the embroidery feature sounds great, but it will be very shortly that you will be wanting a larger hoop capability.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

Judging what you've written about each machine, I'd go with the 420 easily. Bigger harp, more presser feet, LED lights, metal frame are all great selling points to me.

Can you test drive them? See which sews a better stitch.

Comment

I have the PC420, and I love it. I just discovered the overcast binding stitch. It's great for finishing seams on pillowcases and snap bags.
                My friends call me Peggy
                The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Joanne, last year I started learning to quilt. I started with the SE400 which I allready owned. First let me say that it is a wonderful entry level embroidery machine. It works well for general sewing also. When it comes to quilting, other than sewing your basic pieces together, it has problems. If you feel you may want to try FMQ in the future, this machine will cause you many headaches. It simply is not intended for this type of sewing. Harp area is less than four inches and lighting is not so good. Also the embroidery area is only 4"x4". Not really big enough to be seen on a quilt. Since starting to quilt my SE400 has spent more time in the shop than on my table. I have spent the last two weeks comparing many, many machines. I too like Brother and that is the only repair shop within 2 hours driving time, something you need to consider when purchasing a machine. At this point I would do as others have said and go with the PC420. I took mine in again yesterday(Forgot to mention the tension is always messing up when quilting). While there I looked at the Brother Simplicity line. One is priced @ $449, nice harp area, comes with extension table, middle of the road machine. You might consider this line also. I brought home the new Laura Ashley Innovis. It is still setting on the sewing table waiting on me to finish the housework so I can come play with it! Just a one more thing you might want to consider, always purchase from a dealer if possible. You will not get the same machine, customer service or warranty service when purchased from the big box stores.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X