Ready to take the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to take the plunge!

Ok......now that I have made 6 baby quilts, a toddler/child size quilt, 2 lap quilts, 2 wall hangings, and several assorted tablerunners, I think I am ready to make a large quilt. My DS will be getting married in November this year and I would like to make them a nice quilt as one of their wedding gifts. I don't know what pattern I will use, or what fabrics. I have been looking at M* jelly rolls to see what fabric I like....but nothing hits me. Nothing too dark or heavy or pink (she dislikes pink!) ...My future DIL loves aquas and teals and greens. Something fresh and light, I'm guessing. Not too modern, probably a tried and true old design with more modern fabrics. It sounds like a lot.......but any ideas, fabric lines or block design?
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
    :D

Re: Ready to take the plunge!

I'm trying to figure out the same thing for an engagement quilt for one of my DGD's and her fiancé. Since this DGD is the 4th one to get engaged it was no surprise to them that I would make them a bed size quilt. They got engaged end of Dec. but they were way ahead of me because they have already picked out the colors they like. My chore, like yours, is to find a pattern that I feel fits them. Good Luck in your quest and Good Luck to the happy couple. May in Jersey

Comment

Log Cabin or one of the 10,000 variations on that. There is so much that can be done with this block. It can be either classic or contemporary and you get the fun of not only designing the block color and strip widths but also the block arrangement. Not a difficult block either. My first quilt was a big LC in a "raising the barn" arrangement. I love it. Laying under it right now as a matter of fact.
      Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Take a look at the PALAZZO line.by Greta Lynn, by Benartex in the M*Quilt Shop.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...zzo-charm-pack

The colors in this might be just what you are looking for. As for me, I put it on my wish list, because I fell in love at first glance.
        sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I did a Dresden plate as my daughter's I wedding quilt with more traditional/vintage looking fabrics but the Dresden pattern really looks nice with modern fabrics too. Just a thought.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Sheri View Post
            Take a look at the PALAZZO line.by Greta Lynn, by Benartex in the M*Quilt Shop.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...zzo-charm-pack

The colors in this might be just what you are looking for. As for me, I put it on my wish list, because I fell in love at first glance.
            Oh my.... I LOVE this line! Thank you Sheri! :-)

Comment

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ona-layer-cake

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ons-layer-cake

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...zoe-layer-cake

And here's the prettiest: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...quoise-yardage
              Vonnie

Comment

Without checking the fabrics... I'm guessing the young gals still love the turq. and browns,, as well as turq, with shades of orange right now... and of course the turq. with pearl or slate grey is good... Jenny's newest churndash is a great idea.. or any of her square in square designs... for me.. it's always.. Summer in the Park... just sharing this because my DD is always into the latest colorways.. she and her "group of 10 youngish gals,, keep me in the loop"..as I'm always making stuff for gifts at DD's request!
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I just ordered the op art in a charm pack. But I have to agree with you on the last one being the prettiest. OMG I love that line. Its on my wish list. Jelly roll is unavailable right now. Beautiful.
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                  Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I think I love the Zoe the best, it doesn't have so much black in it....I don't think she will like one with a lot of dark in it. I wish I could find something in a soft aqua print. Thanks everyone. Looking at all the jelly rolls....they all start looking alike after awhile!

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie

Comment

Well, here's something I tried with scraps coming from M*; you might consider doing a sampler quilt with blocks you feel comfrtable with!
                      applique.jpg
                      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

As soon as I seen the colors your soon to be DIL likes I thought of my dear friends soon to be DIL that I am doing a signature wedding quilt for in September. Those are her colors and she refers to them as Peacock colors.

Here are some fabrics we looked at for her quilt. They are all batiks because that is the direction we decided to go with her color choices. In hers we will use a solid peacock blue fabric for the signatures and use the batiks to frame each block.

5"CHARM PEACOCK BLUE COLLECTION - Product Details

2 1/2" TIDAL POOL BATIK STRIPS - Product Details

IN LAGOON QUILT FABRIC BATIK SCRAP BAG - Product Details

10" SQUARE BALI BLUEGRASS COLLECTION - Product Details

FAT QUARTER CARIBBEAN BALI BLENDERS MEDLEY - Product Details

FAT QUARTER SEASIDE BALI BLENDERS MEDLEY - Product Details
                        Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I just saw this line of fabric and remembered you mentioned blues and greens. I think I might have to use this line in something myself. It just looks so serene and earthy./
                          Attached Files

Comment

I just saw this line of fabric and remembered you mentioned blues and greens. I think I might have to use this line in something myself. It just looks so serene and earthy./

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ready to take the plunge!-blues-greens.jpg

OMG...I love those and I think she will too!

Julie

Comment

When I'm making a quilt for someone else I have them look at pictures of several patterns and choose one they like. I made a Log Cabin for a DIL who hated it. She said it was too old fashioned. Since then I have them pick the pattern, and even the fabric if they would like to do so. With the time and money I put into a quilt I want it to be used, not something for the dog to sleep on as the DIL's was.

Comment

Working...
                              X