Time flies in the M* Quilt Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time flies in the M* Quilt Store

If you have no where to be, how long do you usually spend in a quilt store? I allowed myself 2 1/2 hours to shop and look at quilt fabrics at the M*. I found this was not nearly enough time to get through my 4 typed pages of things I was going to buy/look at. I ended up being there for three hours but didn't get through my list. Which was fine because I got enough stuff to do or finish eleven quilts/projects. The employees were wonderful and extremely helpful. Debbie, Cindy and the others helped me find fabric, make color choices and answer lots of questions.

Other fun things going on at the store was they have gotten in lots of new fabric and Jenny was working on a tutorial - can't wait to see the video. As I was shopping five ladies from my town walked in as they were having a girls day out and decided to come to the M*. It was an awesome day at the store

Re: Time flies in the M* Quilt Store

I am so jealous. Although if i lived close enough to go, my budget would be shot for months. Glad you found plenty of things you like and had a good time
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

You are SO lucky!

When I go to the Fabric Shack, I usually spend 2-3 hours there.... If I have no where else to be....

You sound as if you had a wonderful time..... Did you watch Jenny make the tutorial?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

So glad for you! Okay, okay, just a teensy bit jealous, too...

My kids do their best to avoid going into a fabric store with me, as they know it will take for-EV-er. And then one day last summer my DD#10 (age 16) and I were choosing fabrics for a quilt I'm going to make for her to take to college. After 2 hours wandering back and forth through the aisles, we had made some nice choices, and as we left the store she looked at me and said, "NOW I get why it takes you so long in there every time."

I felt as though my entire life had been validated, lol!

Comment

Imagine, being there for 5-6 days. I know I went waaaay over budget that week, lol. All ready saving for Oct. Hope we will see you there then.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

My budget is shot for several months. But I should have enough to keep me busy for several months. I did splurge and get the Oliso iron because I need something that will really get the seams flat.

This was the first time that I got to go without children and not have to run in grab the three things I needed and run out. This is only the fourth time that I have gotten to go. I am looking forward to the time when the children will enjoy going to the quilt store with me. They do really good for about an hour and then they are done. I usually order on-line as it is cheaper than spending the gas to get there. I am afraid if it was any closer, I would be there all the time.

I didn't get to see Jenny in action as I was trying to get my shopping done and also had to run to the Sew Seasonal Store as well.

I would really like to go in October, I will just have to see what is going on in our life then. I don't even want to think about how much money I would spend if I spent 5-6 days there. I am trying to only get fabric as I have an idea for a quilt since I am limited on space. The thing is Jenny keeps coming out with such awesome quilt tutorials that my list just keeps growing. I could have spent hours just looking through all the new fabric and dreaming of ideas.

Comment

Sounds like the PERFECT winter day to me!

Comment

Oh, so jealous but happy for you. Sounds like you had a wonderful time there. I hope to someday make the trip. Not sure how long it takes from Long Island, NY. Got to see what other things might be in the area that may interest dh.
                Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                  If you have no where to be, how long do you usually spend in a quilt store? I allowed myself 2 1/2 hours to shop and look at quilt fabrics at the M*. I found this was not nearly enough time to get through my 4 typed pages of things I was going to buy/look at. I ended up being there for three hours but didn't get through my list. Which was fine because I got enough stuff to do or finish eleven quilts/projects. The employees were wonderful and extremely helpful. Debbie, Cindy and the others helped me find fabric, make color choices and answer lots of questions.

Other fun things going on at the store was they have gotten in lots of new fabric and Jenny was working on a tutorial - can't wait to see the video. As I was shopping five ladies from my town walked in as they were having a girls day out and decided to come to the M*. It was an awesome day at the store
                  Four typed pages! Eleven projects! That's quite a shopping trip. Maybe it's a good thing you saved some of your list for another visit.

Comment

My hubby is usually with me. He worries about me driving with the meds that I take. When we get into the shop, he very seriously goes to the manager and shows her that he has a new bottle of nitro pills so he is ready for any new fabrics that take his breath away (yeah sure). Then when he has reached the limit of his tolerance, he stands on the other side of the store and raises his voice and says, "Honey, I found the spandex!" It usually causes the regulars to snort, and the others give him this STRANGE look. sigh....I don't complain because he rarely questions what I buy...but he does find some strange things sometimes!
                    Last edited by IBake; January 28, 2014, 08:53 PM.
                    Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

Lucky Ducky! How far did you have to travel to get to this wonderful shop? Hoping to get there next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by meemeecyn View Post
                        Lucky Ducky! How far did you have to travel to get to this wonderful shop? Hoping to get there next fall.
                        It is about a two hour trip. And today was beautiful outside so I enjoyed the drive. The temperature outside was a different story, it was very cold today - very thankful for a car that has heat.

Comment

Happy for you that you live that close. But I am extremely jealous . Glad you got to enjoy yourself.
                          ~ Tracy

Comment

So happy to hear that you had a fun visit!!

For everyone out there who can come to Hamilton, please don't forget to stop by the Retreat Center (just a few steps away from the shops!) and say hello!!

We've started something new for 2014: make a purchase (any amount!) at the store and you can come to the Retreat Center and spend the day sewing, crafting, creating or just hanging out and relaxing! All we ask is that you call ahead (888 571-1122) to double-check that we don't have a class or group scheduled to be in the center on the day you will be in town.

COME ON OVER! I'd love to see you.
                            Jean
                            Coordinator, Missouri Star Quilt Company Retreat Center
                            Last edited by jlmascasa; January 29, 2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IBake View Post
                              My hubby is usually with me. He worries about me driving with the meds that I take. When we get into the shop, he very seriously goes to the manager and shows her that he has a new bottle of nitro pills so he is ready for any new fabrics that take his breath away (yeah sure). Then when he has reached the limit of his tolerance, he stands on the other side of the store and raises his voice and says, "Honey, I found the spandex!" It usually causes the regulars to snort, and the others give him this STRANGE look. sigh....I don't complain because he rarely questions what I buy...but he does find some strange things sometimes!
                              That is so sweet of him to take such good care of you like that. My DBF hates the big chain fabric stores but will go with me to a quilt shop or quilt show in a heartbeat. He usually looks at the fabric with me but will branch off if something catches his eye. He believes there is no such thing as buying too much fabric because he has seen what I do with what I buy. We are blessed that they have such interest in what we enjoy.
                              Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
                              "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

Working...
                              X