Favorite block to make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite block to make

I love learning how to make new blocks. I like the challenge...when I'm not being lazy But, I do have a favorite block. The one I come back to when I need a quick sewing/quilting fix, when I'm having a creative block, when I'd rather concentrate on the show I'm watching on netflix, or when I just need a no-brainer block to unwind from the workweek. My favorite is the Dresden Plate. I have a big bag full of DPs! Scrappy ones, kaleidoscope ones, two color, three color, four color, etc. I love watching them bloom as I sew each petal. They make me happy

What is YOUR favorite block to make?

Re: Favorite block to make

I don't have a fave yet. After 15 quilts I'm still trying new ones. So many blocks so little time. Sigh.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I guess I'd need to qualify my answer...

Favorite block as in "I've made the most of them/use it the most often" is Log Cabin.

Favorite block as in "Block I have made that I am most proud of" would be the 6" carpenter's wheel which was part of the Underground Railroad Sampler bed runner we made. It took 72 individual pieces to make that one 6" block.
      Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Still learning so I have not found a favorite yet. When I want to quilt but not think, I either do a jelly roll or make a quilt out of 5" squares that I've already planned and laid out. I did have a lot of fun with the five and dime I did because I used all kinds of decorative stitches on my new machine to put the squares on the squares.

Comment

I bore easily so like making new blocks not repeating old ones.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I love Log Cabin blocks. You can make them rustic or elegant....just love them!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love the Churn Dash block, also known as Hole in the Barn Door. I'm a pinwheel fan, too.
              Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

When I made my king quilt, I used 76 blocks, each of them different. I really liked doing that because I had fun selecting the next block to make and then making it only once. What is going to eat my lunch when I get to making it the Bali Wedding Star quilt, which is a double wedding ring with a star in it, all paper pieced. I guess I don't have a go-to block but it would be something with HSTs in it, like maybe a star.

Ryan, I can't believe you made that 6 inch block with 72 pieces in it. If you like doing that sort of thing, make a Dear Jane sampler quilt which is a bunch of 5 inch blocks pieced.
                Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Originally posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
                  Favorite block as in "Block I have made that I am most proud of" would be the 6" carpenter's wheel which was part of the Underground Railroad Sampler bed runner we made. It took 72 individual pieces to make that one 6" block.
                  Edit: Never mind. I found the picture. It is awesome!

Ryan, I looked for a picture but couldn't find one. Do you have one? I'd love to see it. I might have seen it once before, but can't remember it.
                  Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I am a new quilter, so no favs yet. However, I really did enjoy the double hour glass, but then I like the D9P, oh, but the tube quilting by the 3 dudes............sigh.....I like everyone I have made.
                    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                    :D

Comment

i like the log cabin because you can make so many different designs out of one block.
                      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I love making pinwheels !!!
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Originally posted by madampolo View Post
                          Ryan, I looked for a picture but couldn't find one. Do you have one? I'd love to see it. I might have seen it once before, but can't remember it.
                          Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

My favs would be Dresden and log cabin. They both turn out great and are fun to put together.

Comment

I like pinwheels and stars, but love making all different kinds of blocks!
                              April

Comment

Working...
                              X