Lesson Learned - Store Locator - CALL before I go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson Learned - Store Locator - CALL before I go

Frustration! I was on the road and decided to check out some shops I got from the Moda locator.

1. The one in Joliet, IL I called to get directions ... left a voice mail twice ... no return call.
    2. Went to the one in Morris, IL. They did have Moda bolts but had no pre-cuts at all! Had a great selection but very limited on the collections I was looking for (Kansas Troubles Icicle Kisses, Pheasant Hill, Favorites or Favorites II.) Inquired about the Favorites II ... got the impression they didn't plan on getting any.
    3. Called a third shop in Tinley Park. No answer or voice mail but decided to stop by since it was just a block off my route. Their sign was up at the parking lot entry but the shop at that address was empty!
    4. The last one on the route was a mile off my route. Learned my lesson and called and got their operating hours. When I walked in there was no Moda to be seen. They said they stopped selling Moda "a while back." (2012)

So now I'm planning a route back to North Carolina. So now I have to call each shop along the road to see if they are still open, what their hours are and see if they are still selling Moda. Additionally now I'm wondering how many are open and carry what I'm looking for ... but aren't on that locator list.

Anyone else have this type of problem? Wonder if the other fabric manufacturers are more up-to-date with their locator........

Re: Lesson Learned - Store Locator - CALL before I go

How coukd any quilt shop stop selling Moda???

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Judy....fabric.com has two of the three you're looking for (Pheasant Hill was not there). You might just try looking on line to order it....
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
        ^That is what I was thinking?!

I know times have been tough for quilt shops as costs increase and we're at least a generation or two removed from those who might have learned sewing/quilting as a necessity rather than a leisure-time hobby. I hope maybe more of my peers and even those younger than me will pick up the torch.

Sad to hear that you are having so much trouble finding an operational, fully stocked quilt shop.
        Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Look for an email address. A lot of time that is what I do, I contact them by email with the fabric info all spelled out for them.

I don't think Marshalls Dry Goods has Moda but is well worth the stopping by to stock up on other fabrics. They are located in Batesville, Arkansas.
          Vonnie

Comment

Do you have the quilt shop locator book, Quilter's Travel Companion? You still need to call places to ensure they're open, but it's a great resource. I've used it several times when traveling.

Comment

We have lost several quilt shops around here. And the nearest sewing machine store is 2 hours away. I've learned just to either call or email before I go to any store anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                I was looking for ...Pheasant Hill...
                When I got home from work I started working on some curtains to compliment the civil war bed runner we made. As I started ironing I looked at the selvage and noticed it said "Moda Pheasant Hill". I remembered you mentioned it in this thread and thought, "She has great taste!"

I made some very simple valances out of this one: Pheasant Hill - Mustard Seed Yardage - Kansas Troubles - Moda Fabrics

I know quilting cotton is not the ideal curtain fabric but it'll be fine for a while. My wife will get bored and want me to change them long before the sunlight damages them. I threw them together by cutting big rectangles, turning the edges under and sewing a strip of mid-weight interfacing to the back to keep the top "up" and to create the rod pocket. Not my greatest project but they were quick, cheap, and no one sees my bedroom but the wife and I anyway.

Beautiful fabric line and it looks like M* and my LQS both carry it.

Comment

Oh, Judy, I wish I had known when you were coming through and I would have tried to meet up with you! Unfortunately, our local shops here in Tinley Park have closed; the last one due to retirement last year. There are so few LQS left close by so I end up ordering online. Can't say that I mind too much doing my shopping in slippers. The one shop near Joliet (Cresthill) is a pretty big store and dealer, and also my dealer for repairs. Personally, I don't think you missed much. They aren't the friendliest folks in the world and the prices are high. The help is snooty and I try to avoid the place as much as possible.

I buy a lot of Moda from fabrics.com and etsy shops. I've always had good luck but I miss seeing and feeling the fabrics!

Comment

Quilters Loft 188 N Main St # B, Mooresville, NC 28115
                    (704) 662-8660
                    this store was still open in July when I was there. lovely people!
                    think they have Moda

and yes I have driven to shops that arent there. My husband makes me call first, even if we have been there before.

Michelle

Comment

I truly appreciate all the suggestions.

Have to look at getting the Quilter's Travel Companion. I love getting to look around the shops and finding some "go with" fabric by another designer or manufacturer.

SharynJ - need to pm you ... I'm up here near Midway Airport quite often.

Murn74/Michelle - Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately that adds 1 1/2 hrs to this trip ... but I'll plan my next trip that way.
                      And Mr.HandsomeRyan - You have good taste too! And if they were "cheap" to make I'll have to check out your LQS!

Comment

My guess is he meant "cheap" in relation to the cost of drapery fabric & lining!
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                          I don't know about Moda, but when I was looking for accent fabric for the snips & snails from Robert Kaufman at my LQS, she said she doesn't carry them anymore because of too many rules put in place by the manufacturer. Its a shame, because I really like RK fabrics. Could be that's what happened with that store & Moda.
                          When I made the leap to learn quilting in Aug / Sep, when I first started looking around for fabric and quilting resources here I went looking for 3 stores and found only one still in business. I wish I had called first too, but its only 10 miles from one end of town to the other so its not like I was driving all day and many miles out of my way.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                            My guess is he meant "cheap" in relation to the cost of drapery fabric & lining!
                            ^This.

Nothing is inexpensive in Maryland.

Comment

Originally posted by RoseMA View Post
                              ... she said she doesn't carry them anymore because of too many rules put in place by the manufacturer. Its a shame, because I really like RK fabrics. Could be that's what happened with that store & Moda.
                              Actually the lady said that she sold Moda early on - then "everyone else" started carrying their lines - so she stopped. Now it appears the competition that caused her to decide to drop Moda is out of business. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X