From Happiness to Heartbrake in 60 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Happiness to Heartbrake in 60 minutes

I was so elated about a recent ebay win-a Janome 1600 P-DB mechanical straight stitch only machine, to be used mainly for quilting--I got it for an amazing price. It was a "pick up" only transaction-the owner lives about 2 hours from me-so we made arrangements to meet 1/2 way today to trade $ for machine. The owner is a lovely lady, serious quilter etc. I looked at the machine-it was great. Her husband loaded it into the back of my car(1998 Buick Century)-on the floor-it had a vinyl cover on it-all was well.

On the way home, there was one slightly quick stop I had to make to avoid running a red light-but nothing super drastic. When I got home and went to grab the machine off the floor of the car-I noticed a few machine parts---panic set in-I think when I stopped quickly at the light, the machine may have fallen against the seat and the impact caused the damage. I got inside and took off the cover and worst case scenario---the thread tension disc has come apart-the threaded spindle for the knob is broken off. I did retrieve all the pieces, have them in a ziplock baggie-but have a sick feeling about the possibility of repair. I am so disappointed about so many things--it's a Sunday so I must wait until later in the week to have it checked out--had planned on playing around on it today--and worry I just wasted the money on a machine I cannot use.

Have any of you had a similar issue with damage to that part of your machine and is if fixable????

will try to post photosIMG_0053.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0057.jpg
    Last edited by bellasnanny247; January 26, 2014, 12:03 PM.

Lisa

Re: From Happiness to Heartbrake in 60 minutes

I think that is probably a fairly easy fix. That spindle probably just screws intp the machine. Your service guy can probably repair it in no time.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Sorry it was injured but thinking it will be an easy fix.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

I have a Juki that I broke the spindle on. It was part of a cover. I ordered a new one, and it was just a couple of screws to put the new cover with the new spindle on. Maybe that will be an easy fix for you.

I had a little tension thingy break on my tension mechanism. I saw that I can buy a replacement, but it looked pretty complicated to take that tension thing apart, so I am living with out my broken piece. You may just be able to put that back together yourself. I hope you got the manual with the machine. If not, you can likely find it on line.
        Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I did get the manual-but it's a user manual-no information on mechanical specifics-and I've already been online hunting for information--fingers crossed those of you who've responded are right about it being an easy fix! I do know that at my local shop-one repair person it out of town for 2 weeks-so hoping it won't delay the work that needs to be done.

I noticed after posting that I mispelled heartbreak in the thread title-but perhaps it was subconsciously done since it was my "braking" in the car that caused the issue-LOL!!!

Lisa

Comment

It looks like an easy fix and you have all the parts. Sorry this happened to you. I had a similar thing happen once while traveling home from my DD's and machine tipped over and dislodged the bobbin winder. Turned out to be minor repair. Don't worry, I'm sure it's a quick fix.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the mishap. After reading this post I'll have to re-think the way I've been transporting my Featherweight.

Comment

You should be able to fix that tension knob. My husband took Matilda's off and reassembled it and it works good as new!!! They are made to be taken apart, so surely they can go right back together!!
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Look on a site for adjusting longarm tension mechanisms, they tell you how to take them off and reinstall them, mainly because the tension spring sometimes breaks and it is an easy fix to replace it.

Comment

I also think it is an easy fix as better machines like Janome are very repairable.

Comment

Thanks everyone-not sure if you can see in the photo of the parts--but those 2 pieces in the foreground-rounded on one side,flat on the other--it's the spindle the tension knob screws onto- part of it is still on the machine...they actually broke off the tension unit-the metal broke clean through--so will need an entire thread tension unit-and had no luck finding one online-must be something only dealers can order.

AAAGGGGHHHHHHH......

Lisa

Comment

Oh, that is an awful thing to have happen to your new machine. And it's made worse by your repair man being unavailable for two weeks. I know it doesn't help much, but I really am sorry to hear this happened.
                        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Just back from dropping off the machine at the shop-am still recovering from price he quoted. The basic service to tune up(which is required before any repair to be done) is $199.00--then add the price for the part, which is most likely to cost at least $50. He assured me that for what I paid and the repair work to be done,I'm still in a nice spot-since he told me the machine typically sells used for $700-$800. Interestingly enough-when I mentioned possibly trading it in for a new Viking Sapphire 970-he told me the Janome is a much better made machine, all metal and stitches faster--he convinced me that for quilting I am better off just getting the Janome fixed(even though the Sapphire claims to be a great quilting machine).

10 days I must wait until I get it back....

Lisa

Comment

I am surprised at the tune up price. The price to tune up my machine was around $80.

sigpic
                            Marci

Comment

Working...
                            X