Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did You Learn to Quilt & Why Do You Love It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Did You Learn to Quilt & Why Do You Love It?

How impressive that you are self taught! People always look at me strange when I tell them I learned to knit on youtube...but it's true. Technology has really made things so much easier to learn.

I love the fabrics too.....I spend hours browsing through all the different options and have dozens of quilts planned!

Thanks for sharing Starlover!

Originally posted by starlover View Post
    I've always loved to make things. Learned to crochet when I was in elementary school, and taught myself how to sew by making barbie clothes, believe it or not. It stuck and I ended up making my own wedding gown.
    When my firstborn was a toddler, I decided to make a quilt for her. My Grandma had been quilting already, and that's all it took to get the idea in my head. I bought a how to book and used that to learn what to do. It was a log cabin with purples, pinks, and greens. It's been over 15 years, and I'm still not that great at the quilting part. Piecing is the part I love.
    A big part of what keeps me creating is the fabrics. Seeing pretty ones get my mind into planning gear, whether I'll end up making it or not.
    My pottery blog
    http://dirtygirlpottery.wordpress.com/

My pottery shop
    http://dirtygirlpottery.bigcartel.com/

Comment

I think the difference between wanting to do something and having to do something is pretty powerful!
      I showed my Mom one of Jennys tutorials and she was all excited, this was right after she confessed to never liking to sew I think its all about why you are doing it!

I bet your Mom's quilts mean a lot to you! I think that is something important to me...that people in my family will be sitting under one of my quilts long after I'm gone. Kinda romantic in a way....a way that I can bring them comfort even when I'm not there.

Thanks for sharing Kateskloset!

Originally posted by Kateskloset View Post
      I, too, have always loved to make things. I have been sewing, knitting, crocheting etc, since I was a small child. I had a little singer sewing machine with a hand crank and an electrical adapter when I was 8. I made my doll clothes. For 20 years or so, I had a made and sold hand smocked and appliqued children's clothes at craft fairs. I absolutely LOVED it...then through a move, and the market changed, and it was time to get out. I still knit baby hats and smock a few little things for our local consignment store, but not very much. I have quilted off and on for several years...I never really liked it. My mom quilted...by hand. She has made some gorgeous quilts, I have a few of them. But something in me changed the first time that I watched one of Jenny's tutorials. I had to do this!! My son is getting married this year and I thought with babies coming in the near future...it would be good to practice and make some baby quilts. Well....8 tablerunners, 6 baby quilts, 2 lap quilts later, I guess you can say I am hooked. And for the first time in years it is so enjoyable to go into my sewing room and make something I want to make...not something I have to make!
      My pottery blog

My pottery shop

Comment

Hi Kgrammiecaz!

I loved hearing how your started quilting. I'm a potter and quilting is a new hobby to me but that is how I got into clay. 7 years ago a friend begged me to go to a pottery class with her and I did it just to be nice. She dropped out and I never stopped...I was addicted and now I have my own home studio and sell my work. Funny how we get lead to our passions isn't it?

And I fear that I am now addicted to quilting too

Thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
        I became interested in quilts a long long time ago. About 6 years ago I went to a class with a friend to make a beginner quilt. I had such fun. Well, my friend moved away (did not finish her quilt even yet), I finished mine, but life moved on and I did nothing with my little bit of talent.

Fast forward to the end of 2012 and I needed a new craft to keep me busy. My baby (25) moved to California at that time and I was very much missing her. So, I googled and googled, and found Missouri Star youtube and Craftsy classes. So, a new quilter was made.

And now, I love it. I have become a fabricholic although I do not have near the stash of many on the forum. My budget is screaming at me, but I just cannot stop.

So, that said - be careful and be warned. This site is totally addicting. Thanks for asking.
        My pottery blog

My pottery shop

Comment

I love your user name Grace38

Isn't it cool how people sharing their love of something can re-ignited that love in us? I'm glad you are loving sewing/quilting.

Originally posted by Grace38 View Post
          As Lot of you know I do alterations and had no desire to quilt as I do enough sewing but I received an e-mail from m* . The tut was on the Christmas runner with the star in the middle and I have been hooked ever since. I just love seeing Jenny's tuts and I have learned a lot. Thank you m*

Grace
          My pottery blog

My pottery shop

Comment

I started quilting to look for something to do with all of this freakin time I had with my children all of a sudden grown and out of sports. Cross country track and volleyball devoured a lot of hours over the last 10 years and all of a sudden I was sitting there twiddling my thumbs.

I took a photography class at the local community college and learned how to better use my camera. I took a pottery class.....and loved it...but it wasn't a feasible option in my home. If I ever have an out building...I will get a wheel....I loved it! Then I took a quilting class at my LQS and I was hooked!

Quilting for me is therapy, when I go in to work on something all is lost. I become completely relaxed. When something stresses me I move on to something else until I become clear. I love everything about it! Dang you could put me on a bill board and I could be the poster child for it! When I am sewing I am meditating, reflective and forward thinking. I love to see the appreciation for the craft when I give something to someone. My DH is jealous of my craft...so I have taken up a hand project to work on when he is sitting around watching tv. I keep sending him ideas for a craft for himself. I really think he would be less uptight if he could find a release for it. I yearn to quilt on days I can't....it's one if the best things to happen to me. Ya I buy a lot if fabric...but I always finish a project so far...so I feel justified in my purchases. Embroidery is my newest passion...loving that too! So you could say....quilting makes me a better person!!
            Mary
            SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I grew up with my granny quilting. I remember whenever we would go to her little house she would have to roll up her quilts on the big wooden frame she had. She quilted for other people as well as her own quilts. Many many moons ago, something in me clicked and I wanted to make a quilted wall hanging. I did that, and didn't do any thing else for years. Then when my GD was born, I wanted to make her a quilt. I never read anything or took a lesson. I made the top and tied it. (my mom had shown me how to do that a loooong time ago) Then when my 2nd DGD was going to be born, I hand quilted her a whole cloth quilt. (didn't know there was actually a name for what I was doing) That year I decided I was going to make my mom and all 4 sisters queen size quilts for Christmas. All hand quilted. I made quilts here and there, off and on.
              But after my grand son was injured I didn't have the time, or even thought about quilting. My grand kids were my #1 priority.
              Then in September of 2011, my mom passed away. Sometime, not to long after that my BFF was going to be a great grandma for the first time. Well I had to make a quilt for that. While I was doing that, I had an epiphany. It was placed on my heart, that I should make quilts for the PICU that my grand son had spent so much time in. Some time after that, God lead me here, and I mentioned how I wanted to make 20 quilts for the hospital, and Jean asked if she could help. It is all kind of a blur after that. To date, since Nov 2012, with huge amounts of help from the wonderful folks here, we have made and donated 173 quilts. We are currently working on quilts to deliver in June. That is my lengthy story
              Last edited by auntiemern; January 25, 2014, 01:38 PM.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

I learned to sew when I was about eight years old. I had a little chain stitch Singer. I sewed clothes ever since..even two prom dresses. My mother and mother-in-law both quilted,but I didn't start until 8 or 10 years ago. And only got really addicted about 3 yrs ago.Now I've made 5 big quilts..working on 6th, and several smaller ones. I love working with colors and the challenge of new patterns.
                sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

I've always been a crafter, in one way or another. My grandmothers and great-grandmas were all involved in sewing, crochet, knitting. I learned to crochet when I was about 9yrs. Grandma owned a little store with an apartment behind the store. My sister & I would spend the weekend (a nice break for my mom) at the store with Grandma. She would let us help her stock the candy in the store......oh, so much fun. Then, when we got on her nerves, she would take us back to the apartment and sit us down with a linen handkerchief and crochet thead and teach us to make fancy edges. In those days, all the ladies had beautiful crocheted handerchiefs. My sis & I would watch tv, crochet and keep Smokey (the dog) company, while Grandma happily went back to the storefront in peace!

My mom liked to sew, but mostly tops, shorts, and doll clothes. She was really the master at doll clothes. I really don't know how she had the patience, but I helped sometimes. Later, in high school, I learned to sew garments in Home Ec class. That's where I learned most of my sewing, which I continued on into my married years. During the early married years, we were broke, so I sewed clothing, home decor, drapes, made my own afghans and any other crafty thing that I could make and save some money. I taught myself to knit, dye fabric, make candles, etc. etc.

Fast forward about 30 yrs. when the kids were all gone. I got a advertisement packet in the mail with some neat quilting patterns. Since I had been sewing my whole life, I figured, how hard can than be? I tried the pattern, but knew nothing of seam allowance or matching seams for quilting. First project.......Disaster! Then I noticed a small quilt shop in my neighborhood, stopped in, greeted so warmly by the owner and I started on my path with quilting. I've never had any regrets. In those days, there weren't many with personal home computers, no internet or Youtube, so you bought some books, took a class once in awhile and practiced! It has become such a rewarding hobby!

Finding this MSQ* forum has been such a great help in sharing ideas, problems, support and generally enjoying our quilting passion.

Comment

Way back in the 1970's, I was watching the PBS station when Kaye Woods came on with her strip piecing quilting. I said, "I can do that!". I started making quilts then. Back then, there weren't videos and an internet. When that did come about, I watched everything I could. I quilt because I love the creativity of making the tops. I don't much like putting them together.
                    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

How did I learn to quilt.. self taught by watching Jenny's tutorials. Her four part baby quilt tutorial got me started. I was in the habit of buying fat quarter bundles because they were pretty, always intending to 'someday' learn to quilt. I had the idea of taking classes, learning the 'right' way and all that.

Yeah, no. I was cleaning out a closet, found a bunch of fat quarters - I had a fabric stash before I knew the meaning of the term - and told myself to do something with them. I started googling and found Jenny. She made it look so easy!!

I made a twin size quilt out of 6 1/2" blocks sewn together. Nothing fancy or difficult. Did it on my old Kenmore. Had no clue what a walking foot was. Used the cheap polyester batting. Looking at that quilt now I can see my newbie mistakes but I don't care. I use it every night when I sit and watch TV or while reading.

I just had a ton of fun sewing that quilt. My son liked it, wanted his own. We picked out fabric, he made up a design - again simple blocks just put into a pattern he liked - and off I went, quilt number two. After that I ended up in quilt shop that sold Brother machines and found one I liked, so I bought it. And man oh man... the things I learned with this machine. Walking foot, quarter inch foot, fancy stitches. I found that I also loved making purses. I normally abhor having to carry one, but if I made it.. I loved using it.

I can't tell you why I love quilting. I just do.

Comment

I started sewing when I was about 8 taught by my mother and grandmother. I then took Home Economics in High School and really enjoyed sewing including our senior project which was to make a formal gown with covered shoes to match. My mother also taught me to crochet and needlepoint. I was married (the first time) in 1969 and my first Christmas present from my husband was a Singer Touch and Sew. I used that sewing machine until 2005 when it finally died and I purchased a Viking Huskystar C10. (Not my best decision.) I sewed primarily clothing for myself and my children. For fun I would needlepoint. Then life got in the way with boys participating in competitive spring board diving and my daughter competing in Hunter/Jumper and I didn't do any of that for a long time. I retired in 2012 and decided to take up needlepoint again. I soon discovered that the yarn was difficult to find making even small projects a challenge. I watched one of Jenny's videos and decided "I could do that I always enjoyed sewing". That started the obsession. My first discovery was that the Viking was not going to handle what I wanted to do. After researching and trying out machines (and getting over the sticker shock) I purchased a Pfaff Creative Sensation. Then I wanted to take classes and the CS was too heavy for me to carry around so I bought a Passport 2.0. I am now considering a Babylock serger, but still giving that some thought.

I love the creative aspect of quilting and also enjoy making purses and totes and other small items. I am starting to try some "made in the hoop" projects and have done quite a bit of embroidery. My husband, whose first love is woodworking, is very supportive and buys almost as much fabric as I do. He is the one who works with 6D to convert embroidery and Electric Quilt to design quilts. It has been a fun ride so far and I look forward to many quilts in the future.
                        Ann

Comment

So glad you've joined us, Carrie!

I started quilting rather by accident; when my DH's aunt died the family gave me 5 quilt tops that she had pieced but not sandwiched or quilted. Stumbled onto M*'s YouTube videos while trying to figure out how to finish them, and I've been hooked ever since. I had been sewing for decades, but never thought I would enjoy cutting out all those little pieces. Then I watched Jenny, discovered rotary cutters and pre-cuts, and realized that I could do this!

I work 40 hours a week in an office. I discovered a couple of years ago that creating pretty things is very therapeutic for me. I also find that when I want to be alone (which is difficult for me) I can sit down at my machine, and I hardly even notice the rest of the world, even the dear ones inhabiting my living room!

I also love fabrics and looking at all the pretty things the members of this forum create!

Comment

My mother sewed most of our clothes growing up, I remember she had an old Singer with the knee peddle. I learned to sew in Home Ec and enjoyed it, but didn't keep with it. Later I did hand sewing projects and crochet.
                            When my husband and I moved back to Washington, my MIL showed me her quilts and fabric stash and taught me the basics. I started out drawing patterns on fabric, cutting them with scissors, hand piecing and hand quilting.

I finally got a rotary cutter and an antique Singer handcrank. I love sewing on my handcrank, I like the sound it makes and the I feel so peaceful creating my projects.
                            Now I have several antique machines and I love being in my quilt room, exploring my creativity!
                            April

Comment

Growing up we lived in the same small town in Mississipps as my maternal grandparents. My grandmother loved any kind of handwork and sewing. When I was 3 she would cut out doll clothes and taught me how to do a running stitch to sew them together. When I was 5 I sat in her lap and she taught me to use her old treadle Singer sewing machine, but she had to use the treadle because I wasn't tall enough. Fast forward until I had my first child, a daughter, and I bought a Singer Golden Touch and Sew machine and made lots of her clothes. Then I found Heirloom Sewing & Machine Embroidery | Martha Pullen and fell in love with heirloom sewing which I did for many years until we moved to Colorado almost 7 years ago. I had a sewing friend, and we would have all night sewathons doing heirloom clothes. No one here in this part of Colorado puts heirloom type clothing on their children, so I had to find some sewers and what they made. This led me to quilting and I became friends with women who loved to quilt. I watched Eleanor Burns on tv and bought lots of her books and taught myself to quilt. The first quilt I made tuned out great. Every square had machine embroidery, and I used McTavishing for the quilting. It's rather elegant. My DH bought me a longarm and then for Christmas one year gave me Prostitcher, a computerized quilting system that has a small computer that sits on the quilting maching, and does the quilting for me. I get a lot of empowerment from taking shapeless fabric and turning it into a work of art. Well, not all of them turn out to be pretty art, but I enjoy it. I just finished treatment for breast cancer and am cancer free and decided to make quilts to donate to the Cancer Center here. That's my story.

Comment

Working...
                              X