Kitty Quilt with Catnip in the batting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitty Quilt with Catnip in the batting?

I know cats don't need any motivation to sit on top of a quilt....but a friend of mine has a cat I would like to stitch a small quilt for and I thought it might be fun to sprinkle some catnip into in the quilt sandwich batting to make sure the cat LOVES it.
    Has anyone ever done this? I'm pretty sure it would still wash okay as I have had cats in the past drop catnip toys in their water dishes and they come out okay with no staining.

What do you think?
    Sondra J. :icon_wave:

Re: Kitty Quilt with Catnip in the batting?

I think that's a fun idea! What if you did a little pocket so you could insert a little bag of the catnip. Then it could be replaced.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Neat idea!

I don't know about cats, but a dog would chew on it to get to whatever smell was in there that they wanted.
      Vonnie

Comment

I believe a cat would tear the quilt apart to get the catnip.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

With something like this, I think I'd call my vet and ask their opinion.

Comment

I think you are going to make one cat mighty happy!

Our cat (he is no longer with us) had a little fabric mat that had an opening so we could freshen up the catnip. He LOVED! that thing! He never destroyed it, he rolled all around on it.
            Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
              I think you are going to make one cat mighty happy!

Our cat (he is no longer with us) had a little fabric mat that had an opening so we could freshen up the catnip. He LOVED! that thing! He never destroyed it, he rolled all around on it.
              That's what I was thinking. I never had a cat tear something up except the cat post and the door jam they think is a post. lol

I have two and I think I will try this out. Thanks for the idea!
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think the pocket is a wonderful idea! I would worry about the catnip going thru the washer. I use my flannel scraps to make catnip toys for our cats and for friends also. The cats lick and suck on them until they are hard, crusty and disgusting. I just throw them away instead of washing. I wouldn't want a quilt with catnip in the batting to become a disposable item.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

If you decide to try it please let us know how it works out. By the way, where does one buy catnip? Do they have it loose in bags at the pet stores? I haven't looked into it but I think our little girl might really enjoy some. I've absolutely fallen in love with the Bengal stray we've adopted. She is so sweet and full of personality. She's become my little buddy while I'm home. I'm really going to miss her when I head to the Netherlands. I got my daughter to promise me that she'll give her lots of love and attention while I'm gone. I took that cat in so my daughter would have company, but as usual, the animals all fall for me. I dote on them and talk baby talk to them and give them hugs, pets and kisses constantly. I've truly spoiled her rotten to the core. It's been so nice having a kitty again. I didn't realize how much I've missed having a cat all these years. I was thinking I'd make her some really small pillows and fill them with catnip so she can play with them. I'm also hoping to make time to make her a little quilt before I leave. What she really likes is the old afghans we inherited from Joe's grandmother.
                  Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; January 23, 2014, 10:25 AM.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

You can buy catnip almost anyplace - Walmart, grocery stores, pet stores.
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

You can grow it your self too. I bought some seeds at a county fair but I have seen them in nursery's.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

You have to be careful using catnip with the cats. My sister gave her cat too much catnip and she (the cat) lost all use of her back legs for a couple of hours. Vet said the cat was "drunk" or "high" on the catnip. Cat was ok, but was scary while we did not know what was wrong.
                        :icon_wave:Lisa

Comment

Yeah, I think it depends on the cat. I had a friend stay with me once, she kept giving my cat catnip, which was like giving him speed. Just winds him up like a top. I asked her why she kept giving him catnip, and she said she was trying to calm him down. Turns out HER cat has an opposite reaction to catnip - it relaxed and mellowed him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                            I believe a cat would tear the quilt apart to get the catnip.
                            Don't think it would last long with catnip in it. Every cat I've had would tear it to shreds!

Comment

Working...
                            X