X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SallyO'Sews
    replied
    Re: Cleaning cutting board

Go online: good products. Not sure about the prices vs. everyone else. I like the Alvin brand.
    Rotary Cutting Mat Boards | Fabric Cutting Mats for Sewing & Quilting
    Let us know how you do and what works for you!
    Last edited by SallyO'Sews; July 11, 2014, 09:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lilyjo
    replied

Originally posted by qcquilter View Post
    I have a green Olfa 24x36 rotary mat and am having problems with my blades dulling pretty quickly. I read somewhere that you can soak the board in a vinegar and water solution to remove thread residue which might be causing the problem. Has anyone tried this? I have 3 different Olfa rotary cutters and they all have the same issue. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Many thanks for this tip. I thought my blade was at fault and changed it for a new one, even thought the first one hadn't been in long. Then I tried cleaning my mat with washing up liquid and a scouring sponge. I couldn't believe how filthy it was, the rinse water was brown! I put the old blade back in my cutter and it works a treat again. Brilliant

Leave a comment:

• Grandma G
    replied

Originally posted by estrogen View Post
    I have a June Tailor mat I bought at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon.....so far so good. It doesn't seem as thick as the Olfa mat which I accidently ironed on and it warped. I am going to try the tip of putting it on plywood with glass on top and leaving it out in the sun. Hope it works
    Please be careful doing that. I had a dear friend whose condo burned to the ground when her neighbor's 2nd floor deck caught fire. They shared a common wall between their condos. The fire department concluded that the sun beating down through the glass table for so many hours caused the decking (which was several years old) underneath the table to smolder and then catch on fire. It happened during the day when everyone was at work. She lost everything.

Leave a comment:

• Sharyn J
    replied

This may sound wierd, but I actually grabbed a little square of rubberized shelf material, scrunched it up in my hand and rubbed over the mat. It took a little work rubbing back & forth over the cuts, but it did a pretty good job of removing the embeded lint. The rubber seemed to stick to the fibers and lift them off the board or roll the bits into tiny pieces, which were easy to swipe off. Once done, I wiped a wet sponge over the surface and dried.

Leave a comment:

• estrogen
    replied

I have a June Tailor mat I bought at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon.....so far so good. It doesn't seem as thick as the Olfa mat which I accidently ironed on and it warped. I am going to try the tip of putting it on plywood with glass on top and leaving it out in the sun. Hope it works

Leave a comment:

• qcquilter
    replied

If I end up replacing this mat, is there someone out there who has a different brand they would recommend?

Leave a comment:

• yeeehawterri
    replied

I bought a new Olfa mat after my 2 DGS got ahold of it and colored all over it with crayons, markers, etc. The old mat was still going strong after 3 years of consistent use. My new mat started the skipping about a month or so after getting it. At first I thought it was the blades, then my rotary cutter, but its the mat. I'm wondering if Olfa has changed how the mats are made.

Leave a comment:

• MRoy
    replied

Cheri, have you checked the blade for a nick or burr? If it's skipping at regular intervals the problem might be the blade and not the mat.

Leave a comment:

• qcquilter
    replied

I let the mat air dry. Unfortunately, the vinegar and water soaking, etc. did not work for me. I bought a green ScotchBrite scubbie and used that. It's almost like sanding it down but it seems to have removed the scratches.I concentrated on rubbing a litle harder where there were noticeable scratches. Be careful not to rub too hard over the entire mat or you might wear down the lines on your mat. It left a lot of residue so if you do this be sure to clean the mat when you are done. I haven't tried cutting on the mat since I did this but I am hoping it worked. Gonna try it out today.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
    I saw a post here somewhere, that if you scrub the mat with one of those green plastic pot scrubbers it gets all the teeny tiny bits of fabric out of the tiny grooves the cutter makes. I tried it & it worked for me.
    That's the one I did to Quiltfreestyle...and it helped but still, the blade skips every couple inches and I know it isn't the blade as the blade and cutter are brand new. Did you use hot or cold water and how did you dry it?

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/qui...t-healing.html

Here's another thread where we were talking about cleaning mats.

Leave a comment:

• qcquilter
    replied

Well, I followed your advice and just finished washing my mat in the tub with the vinegar and soap solution. It is air drying in my bathroom as we speak. I will let you know how this worked. Thanks for your quick responses. Hopefully, this will save my blades.

Leave a comment:

• Auntpiggylpn
    replied

Olfa Products Fabric Cutting Quilt Tools Fabric Cutting Mats Rotating Quilting Mats - Tips& Tricks

Leave a comment:

• Quiltfreestyle
    replied

I saw a post here somewhere, that if you scrub the mat with one of those green plastic pot scrubbers it gets all the teeny tiny bits of fabric out of the tiny grooves the cutter makes. I tried it & it worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

I think I am having the same problem. I just bought a new cutter and the blade is already skipping. I wash the matte with the warm soapy water and let it dry, and that helps, but there is still something off with the matte. It is only about 2 years old and I dont' use it more than usual. I even bought a blade sharpener...and still the blade skips when I roll it any length.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X