For those who worry about what to charge for quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who worry about what to charge for quilts

A lady wanted to purchase a beautiful hand crocheted dress and spotted a crafter who did absolutely amazing work, but she charged a good price too. The lady thought that her price was way too high so she approached the crocheter and in quite a brusk fashion stated "I want to buy a dress from you, but I think you charge too much." The crafter was a little taken aback but replied "Ok, how much do you think i should charge?" The lady replied “I think you should charge “X” much, because the yarn will cost this much, and ribbons this much, and buttons this much. I even factored in the price of scissors." The final price the lady had calculated was a lot cheaper than the crafters original price, but she said "Ok, deal. You will get your dress in a week". The customer is very pleased with herself and can’t resist telling all her friends what a fabulous deal she has negotiated and how smart she is, and that in a week she will have her gorgeous crocheted dress.

A week later her parcel arrives in a lovely packaged box. She opens it and inside is yarn, ribbons, buttons and even scissors. Angrily she contacts the crafter asking “How could you do this to me? I asked you for a dress and you sent me a box of yarn, ribbon, buttons and scissors?!" The crafter quietly replies "My dear, you got exactly what you paid for, if you think there is something missing, you need to pay for it."

Moral of the story, when you buy handmade you are not just buying the materials. You are buying the crafter's, time, effort, love and dedication that goes into making your items. xxx
    Blog
    http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: For those who worry about what to charge for quilts

Yay to that ballsy lady.
    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
    Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

Haha...........love this and how true!
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

couldn't have said it better!
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

That is so priceless

Comment

What a perfect analogy!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

So very true, we underestimate ourselves.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

The way I diswade from making anything for pay for others is... I ask them this...How much do you want for an hourly wage.. ok,,,, it takes about 12 to 15 hrs . to make this baby sweater... sound fair??? LOL
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Priceless, thanks for sharing

Comment

Thanks for sharing, such a quick witted comeback

Comment

I LOVE IT!!
                      "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                      :D

Comment

So glad you shared this with us.
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

So true. People don't understand the time, effort and love that goes into making things by hand. Those are the same purple that wouldn't appreciate them either. Thanks for sharing
                          Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

I agree, this is so true!! I've never tried to sell one of my quilts for just this reason. I'm sure all of you have non-quilting friends who tell you that your quilts are so beautiful you should sell them at the craft fair or church boutique. They have no idea what it takes to make one quilt let alone enough to fill a booth. Or what you would have to charge for them...That's why I just give mine to family & friends who I know will appreciate the love & effort that goes into a quilt.
                            Of course the kids love them to rags,, at least my boys did. They dragged theirs around until the poor things disintegrated.
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

The most I have ever received for a quilt was a hug and a kiss! And I let him (my son) see a quilt with similar fabric that was a very simple design that was going for a $1000 on etsy. When they know what others would have to pay for it, they treat it nicer.

Thanks for the story. I imagine that lady would not have batted an eye at paying $1000 for a designer handbag to go along with that crocheted dress.

We make designer quilts! Right? Even if we follow a pattern, we make it our own by fabric choice, quilting choice, etc...
                              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                              X