Design wall question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design wall question

I don't currently have a design wall. I use my king sized bed to lay the blocks out on but of course can't leave them there. I have room in my new sewing room to create a design wall but how do you put your blocks on it? Pins? Thanks. Silly question but being new to this I have wondered.
    Ann

Re: Design wall question

Design walls are usually made of flannel that grab the fabric or blocks to hold them in place. you can buy them ready made (Fons &Porter has one) but I'm sure if you googled it or looked on You Tube you would find directions for making one. I used to lay out quilt blocks on my bed as you do. You will find a design wall much better to work with....and you don't have to move anything to go to bed!

Comment

I attached batting Warm & Natural to a very large shade and the my husband made a shelf that we installed the shade up into. It works great. I can pull the shade down when I'm working on a quilt or even roll the shade up when I want! I use a spray adhesive to attach the batting to the shade. The quilt blocks stick very well to the batting....no pins needed

Fannie

Live each day as if it were your last!

Comment

I used poly batting and it sticks really well. But be careful of fans and windows, which I have to use because the room gets hot (it's in a loft). I will stick a pin sometimes (not woven through) if I want to keep the room cool.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I put flannel on a rolling blind I picked up at Ikea. They have excellent prices on those shades there! Used spray adhesive. My husband mounted the roller to a board which he added brackets to which hang off one of my shelves in my room, so it can easily be rolled up out of the way.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have the Fons & Porter design wall and really like it. There is a picture of it in my album named sewing area. I bought it with a 40 percent off coupon and used command hooks to hang it. The flannel side holds the fabric in place and a 2" grid pattern show through to keep blocks lined up.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I was using a flanel backed cheapo table cloth, which worked well. Kids gave me the fons porter for a gift, but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

9 quilt design-wall ideas
                ​Robyn

Comment

I put flannel on a sheet of insulation board. The flannel holds my squares, but you can also put pins into the board if you need to. I stash the board behind the door in our guest bedroom when it's not in use.

Comment

I started with backing taped to the wall and pinned everything. Then I got a great deal on the Fons & Porter design wall. I use Command Hooks to attach it to the wall.

Comment

I tried flannel at first, but my blocks never stuck to it very well, and once you start sewing them together into rows they're too heavy to stay up. When my batting preferences changed from W&N to Quilter's Dream, I stuck a queen-sized chunk of W&N on my wall with tacks. Blocks and rows now stick with no pins and no problems.

Comment

I used to do the same thing...but got so tired of constantly going back and forth between my bedroom or the living room floor! My husband won't let me do to much to my room that stays permanently so I just got an expansion rod and mounted it in front of the closet in my sewing room...right there on the moulding/door jam area. Then I got a fleece blanket I had gotten at the thrift store to use as batting (those thin blankets like you get to tie two together) and I hung it over the rod and secured it with some clamps. Now that blanket hangs down really nice and I have the closet doors as the "back" and I press blocks etc onto the blanket. Works great! Plus I can push it back to get into the closet if I need to. Some heavier things I have had to use a pin to keep it hanging, but mostly, just press the piece onto the blanket and I am good to go!

Last night was put up the whole quilt top.... I am working on a garden theme quilt...have the top done, but needed to see it to make the sides and everything match so I just clamped the top up there with the clamps holding the blanket and it was perfect! So nice to just turn my head and look and know what I need to do!

It is also good cause I dont' have an empty wall that I could use anyway. And..it can come down anytime. I would like to get a white blanket instead of this blue just so the colors can show properly if I am matching colors, but for now..it works great.
                        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I put up cork tiles and covered them in flannel. Fabric sticks, or I can use pins.

Comment

I bought a couple of flannel-backed tablecloths and use them with good results. I roll them up and store them in the bedroom and take one out when I'm working on it. I can roll it out on the bed or on the floor, or take it with me to my quilting circle. It's a great way to work on and store multiple projects.

Comment

Working...
                            X