X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joan@DebtofGratitude
    replied
    Re: How much do you charge for quilts?

"You would never want to pay me what it costs in labor and materials" is my standard answer. If anyone looks quizzically after that answer, I say something like "A pretty basic queen size quilt with quality materials would START at $500 if I charge $10 an hour for my time. And I think my skills and time are worth more than $10 an hour, don't you agree?"

I have made two quilts for good friends that asked and that offered to pay for the materials. One gave me an extra $100 for my time (Ha, but again, people just don't get it) and one didn't. All the rest of my quilts have been pure gifts, time and material.

By the way, I have three quilts (from lap size to twin size) that I made as "learners" but that turned out pretty darn good. My cousin wanted to sell them at her antique store/flea market, so I priced them at the rate of $10 per hour for labor and 2X cost of materials. None of them have sold and they've been there since September in a really nice shop. I think most uneducated quilt consumers see a quilt and a price tag over $100 and they balk.

I guess they haven't noticed that even the "expensive" quilts they see in catalogs like Pottery Barn are junk (in my opinion) compared to handmade.

Me? I'm happy to keep sewing and keep giving them as gifts for my own pleasure.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl
    replied

I don't sew or quilt for profit...because there is none. If you get a quilt or something handmade by me its because it was a gift. I can not put a price on my work and I won't not worth it. I tried many years ago when a lady wanted me to make her a dress she was very large bigger then the pattern, so I had to start out altering which I hate. she was in a wheel chair and had bad legs and needed to cover the bandages and look somewhat dignified in the chair. I took my time worked it real nice it was very pretty... but the arms were not big enough for her arms. never mind I measured twice and could have put both my legs in this arm hole. So rip it a part and buy the last 2 yards of fabric out of my pocket to make it. all my profit went into the extra fabric and the extra time. That is when I said NO MORE. I sew for my family and gifts , end of discussion. I so agree with hating alterations I would rather can the project and start fresh then rip and alter.

Leave a comment:

• redcaboose1717
    replied

I feel the same way about sewing garments for people. My favorite phrase is " You can't afford to hire me." There's only been a couple of times this didn't work, but hey, I made mega bucks.
    Most people think that because you sew, you also will alter clothing....not....I dislike ripping out anything...... The only thing I ever altered was a jacket my mom loved that was given to her by my grandma......and I always told my mom that I didn't want her to leave me anything ....but that Jacket. When she died, my younger sister SOLD it at an auction she had ...selling my mom's things, without telling my older sister or myself. We found out the day of the auction ( it was in the paper ) ......
    My sister's DH was the executor of her will.....and well, no matter how honest HE was, you can imagine how it really went...( my sister and I have never seen anything from that estate.....period.)
    That's why I had a trust fund drawn up.....Trust funds can't be changed......you can't contest them like you can a will. So, you might say " Why didn't we contest it ? " There wasn't that much to worry about.....under $100,000.00......although the bad thing is that my older sis could have used her share due to fact she has mounting medical bills......

Leave a comment:

• GinnyKNC
    replied

I hate when people ask me that question. I can't finish my to do list as it is far less think about making them to sell. I've sold one only because a good friend asked me to make it for her husbands bday. I would never lock myself into a price or even give a range because it all depends on the cost of fabric, the pattern and how long it takes to make it. Someday I hope to get my to do list done so I can think about it.

Leave a comment:

• buckeyequilter
    replied

I have posted on FB, more than once, that I do not do custom quilts. I will make them and if it's for sale I will let them know.

When I am making them for my immediate family, no cost to them, I will ask them what their favorite color is or maybe the young ones have something they like. Sometimes they will send me a picture of a quilt they've found and ask me if I could try to make that.

Right now I'm working with a niece...she saw the "puff quilt" that Jenny may do a tutorial on and fell in love with it. She doesn't want so much green. So I have her looking on-line at flannel, told her to look on quilting sites, find a fabric she likes and we'll work from there....and that's about as custom as it gets for me.

Leave a comment:

• JaneTerese
    replied

People really have no idea. I've had friends look at pictures of the quilts I have given as gifts and they always say, "You could sell these!" in a very supportive and excited way, really. Their next question is usually, "What would you charge for a quilt you made yourself?" I tell them that until I get more efficient with my skill, I couldn't charge because it takes so long for me to make a quilt, no one could afford it! There may come a day when I'd like to sell quilts. Then I think an hourly rate + supplies cost is fair. $20-$30/hr seems good, plus costs. Of course, in good faith, the quilter should know what they are doing so no time is wasted.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

Totally depends upon what kind of quilt we are talking about, what you want it made from and what size.

Leave a comment:

• Vita
    replied

You could just give them a ballpark idea. Maybe they really have no clue. I don't really know what the costs would be either as I've only made one, for myself and I didn't keep track of costs or my time.
    But a good way to answer this is something like the following example...
    crib $100-$200.
    Twin - $150 - $250
    Full.. $200 - $300
    etc…whatever you think is a fairly accurate range.
    and just state that these are a general range and super simple or super intricate designs may go outside of those ranges.

Leave a comment:

• buckeyequilter
    replied

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
    More than you can afford - is the answer that comes to mind. Most people are smart enough not to lead with that question.
    I thought that too

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

More than you can afford - is the answer that comes to mind. Most people are smart enough not to lead with that question.

Leave a comment:

• LynneLeavell
    replied

If the person is not a family member or true friend, I tell them I charge $20.00 an hour plus the cost of the fabric, batting and quilting. If it is a family member or true friend and I have made the quilt before then I will give them a set amount. But if it is a new pattern or paper piecing I will give them a ball park and usually go to the high side.

Leave a comment:

• CountryHut
    replied

I would not either . .

I don't give a price on custom order handbags either -- unless it's one that I have made in the pass
    -- I only give them a ballpark price
    however with that said - there are times I go a bit overboard - like with a decorative stitch on the shoulder straps
    but I would not charge them for that - cuz that was my decision - but would make notation on their invoice
    and mark it as --- NC/Gift- decorative stitch/shoulder strap (or wherever I done the stitching)

Leave a comment:

• buckeyequilter
    started a topic How much do you charge for quilts?

How much do you charge for quilts?

That was a question PM'd to me on Facebook this morning. My first thought was 'excuse me'...then I PM'd her back with 'it depends on my costs for fabric and supplies and the time I spend on the quilt'. I really felt like telling her - I'm not WalMart and it sure won't be 59.95. I will not lock myself into a price for anyone!
    Last edited by buckeyequilter; January 21, 2014, 06:31 AM.
Working...
X