Craftsy machine quilting courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craftsy machine quilting courses

OK, I am about to take one of these home machine quilting classs and want to know if you have a favorite. I am thinking about the one with Ann Peterson( I think that is her name). There is also a class by Wendy Butler Burns and some with Leah Day. I want a class that is pretty basic and easy to follow along with; someone who gets to the point and doesn't yammer alot with nonessential BS. Anyone who has taken any of these classes, please give me your honest opinions, as I want to get one this weekend. I am not doing so well just on my own and have five baby quilts that I need to finish on my home machine. I would like to learn some new things; not just straightline quilting. (I hate stitch in the ditch because I can't seem to stay in the ditch.) I am sure I will still have to practice, practice, practice, but I am hoping one of these online classes will get me a good start. Anyone?
    :icon_wave: Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

Re: Craftsy machine quilting courses

Ann Peterson is great. I love her gentle style and clear instructions. She is so calm and direct. I recommend any class that she teaches. I don't know about the others.

sigpic
    Marci

Comment

I agree with ozziepuppy. I'm currently enjoying Ann's class on crafty and very much like her style of teaching.

Comment

I never paid for online classes. However, I did watch LOTS of youtube videos on the subject. You may be able to get by with just that. I have taken two classes taught in person by a teacher, machine quilting and advanced machine quilting and I like that. I don't know how I would like it via computer though.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I love Leah day. Check her YouTube first to see if you like her. Ann as we'll is fantastic. It's a win with either one
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Crafsty classes are on sale until Sunday I think? I was looking at them too.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Ann Petersen is great. She's calm, doesn't talk constantly and easy to follow. Leah Day is also great. She also has a freebie Free Motion Quilting project going on right now with a lesson each Monday. I'll see if I can find it and post the link. It's very basic for doing 4-patch blocks and learning a new technique on each block. You don't have to purchase the cheeter block. You could follow the lessons on your own sandwich. The Free Motion Quilting Project

Edit: Here's the link for the Building Blocks Quilt Along
              The Free Motion Quilting Project: Building Blocks Quilt Along
              Last edited by Sharyn J; January 18, 2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I think one of Ann Peterson's is on sale at Craftsy now. She has two classes on Craftsy. I will also check out the freebies and see. Thanks for the info. I would take one in person if I could find a class close to me. That is not an option at the moment.
                :icon_wave: Linda
                "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Leah Day also has Free Motions Fillers Vol. 1 on sale 50% right now. Not sure when sale ends.
                  Learn 50 Free Motion Quilting Designs in Free Motion Fillers, Vol. 1

Comment

I highly recommend Ann Petersen's Quilting Big Projects on a small Machine.

A lot of times, you can go to their website - not the Craftsy website - but the instructors website, and they will have a link back to Craftsy with a discount.
                    Vonnie

Comment

I agree with the other suggestions but I also learned a lot from another you tube video. Search for "quilt expressions" and watch the "what to quilt on your quilt". I found her very interesting and informative.
                      Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I love Craftsy and have taken almost all the quilting classes. I think Ann Petersen's Beyond Basic Machine Quilting helped me the most and I advanced my skill tremendously after completing her project. There is a 50% off sale on SELECT classes so I'm not sure if her's is one of them. If not, if you scroll down the side panel of my blog there is a link banner for 50% off her class specifically, if that helps!
                        Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts

Craftsy is guaranteed so if you are not happy with a class they will refund your money. The free classes are awesome too but maybe too basic for you. I think their classes are totally worth the money!

Comment

I'm doing Leah Day's free motion quilt project. You pay for the pattern and she guides you through fmq'ing a whole quilt a block at a time.

Comment

I love Leah day. The one that I bought was one that she took you through a bunch of different techniques that you could practice and practice. Loved it!!

Comment

I have all three of those classes. I highly recommend Ann Pertersen's and Leah Day classes.

Leah's class does more detail in the very basics of machine quilting. She shows you what stitches to start with, how to make them, how to set up your machine for fmqing. Ann's class shows you how to manage a large quilt.

The Wendy Butler Burns one wasn't very helpful to me.
                              Gayle

Comment

Working...
                              X