My wrong perceptions of quilting history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wrong perceptions of quilting history

I've always thought that quilts, as we think of them today, were an American tradition and specifically a women's craft. I guess I first saw them in Conestoga wagons in western movies and TV shows.

In the last six months since I started quilting, I have, of course, found that quilting is a worldwide craft but the style can vary from country to country and even region to region in the same country. And that men do have a small part in the history particularly in the UK.

An hour or so I came across an Australian quilting tradition that despite my age I had never heard of and which was a craft specifically practiced by men although "Of course the men didn't call them quilts" - they were called "Wagga Rugs or Woggas or Woggers or Waggas". Fascinating.

National Quilt Register: Wagga Rugs
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Re: My wrong perceptions of quilting history

Intriguing......I will have to come back to this later to read!
    ~Kathy~

Comment

I purchased a copy of the February/March issue of The Quilter Magazine today and there is a picture of a whole cloth quilt dated pre-1635 made in Europe. They call it the Mayflower Quilt but no facts authenticate it actually did arrive on the Mayflower. This quilt is to die for...just stunning! Check out pages 30-31 of the magazine. The quilt is owned by the Lovely Lane Museum located in Baltimore, Maryland.

Isn't the craftsmanship from Europe awesome especially when you think they created these masterpieces before our modern day conveniences?

Comment

When I was little, if I was sick, my granny (from Ireland) would cover me with her winter quilt. It was soft and very heavy. It was made from several worn blankets tied together.
        My friends call me Peggy
        The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Working...
        X