Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is your sewing room in your house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is your sewing room in your house?

Where is your sewing room in your house? Do you have a room to yourself, or are you occupying space that "used to be" another room.

I am hold up on the dinning room table, and spread out. We never eat in the dinning room, and I am really considering just getting rid of the table and chairs and making it my sewing room. The rest of the family has given their blessing.. I just have been hesitant.

So.... where do you sew, and how far have you spread out??

Spyder/Nancy
    Johnson's Caramel popcorn for everyone (Ocean City, NJ)
    UNBELIEVABLE stuff that is. They ship anywhere. If you like caramel corn.... it is SOOO worth it.

Re: Where is your sewing room in your house?

Our sewing room is in our semi-finished basement. Really dark down there and not ideal but it isn't in the way. That room also houses my bicycle collection (7ish bicycles + tools and extra parts)
    Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I have taken over the lounge room and thankfully we also have a family room where the TV etc is. However, since I started quilting in July, my equipment level has really grown - tables, storage cabinets, rulers etc. etc.

I have been 'told' I must vacate because the family wants the lounge room back (and so do I, for that matter). There's a spare small bedroom I'm going to use but there's no way I can fit everything in there so we are at a stalemate at the moment.

I keep sewing things for them so that they feel guilty when they pressure me to move!
      ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

Mine is approximately 11'x11' and it used to be the spare bedroom. We hardly ever have guests so I claimed it. We have a 26' trailer so that is where the guests can spread out for the night.
        Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
        Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

Mine is our very small 2nd bedroom that we've made into a computer/sewing room. Its small, kind of cramped...but its my little get-a-way and I love it!
          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

We don't have any spare rooms, so I use a small desk I had as a teenager for my sewing machine and then I put a cutting mat on the kitchen table when I need to cut. I'm just a beginner so I don't have much stuff yet, but we don't have anywhere I could put stuff anyway, so I'll have to keep it small. :-)

Comment

My husband and I turned our attached garage into a sewing room for me. He has a 3 bay garage so we really didn't need one on the house. We done all the work ourselves (except mudding and sanding the sheet rock) saved us tons of money. The only thing I wish I had done was put more outlets and better lighting in it. But I love it. I have pictures in "my sewing room album." I wish my mom was still living so she could see it.I think about this every time I am in there.

Comment

Our only son moved out this summer and I am taking over his room. Most of my stuff is in there now, but it is not organized. I will be finishing painting this weekend, I hope.
                Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Mine is upstairs in the bonus room. 10x10, no closet. I LOVE my Woman's Cave!

All the kids have now moved out, and my grandson will be in Kindergarten in 2015, so I am seriously considering taking his playroom when he starts school. He still has his own bedroom here, I will never take that. (I take care of him now when my daughter is in school and working, that's why he has a playroom and a bedroom here).
                  Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Genny View Post
                    Mine is our very small 2nd bedroom that we've made into a computer/sewing room. Its small, kind of cramped...but its my little get-a-way and I love it!
                    That's nice to be tucked away in a quiet spot. I'm out in the middle of the house and I never get any privacy. LOL

Comment

Sewing Loft area about 12 x 14 - Holds my 56" square cutting table (was a pub height table about on a virtual yard sale for $30 delivered), a desk with hutch where my main sewing machine sits on, a large foldout ironing cabinet from Joann's, and a media cabinet that holds my FQs and 1 yard or less boards. The handy thing is that one side has a long stair railing - great for holding my pillowcase cuts before sewing. If we extend our lease, I need Don to put up a design wall for me. Something he is not aware of! lol
                      sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

My sewing room is in the backyard...really!
                        100_0445-web small.jpg
                        *~* Myrna *~*
                        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

We have a story and a half house....the "half" used to be the "black hole" (i.e. storage....where if anything went it was rarely seen again!) I cleaned up there a couple of years ago and my husband put in a full floor (used to be just part of a floor), walls, and decent lighting. It has 2 dormer windows and with a couple of really good lights near the machine, the lighting is decent. I still have some storage there, but have been inventive....storage boxes hold my "design board" (I have 2 of these). Old bookshelves are part of storage as well as some plastic drawers. An old table serves as the cutting area and an old drafting board of my daughters that dates back to her college was padded and turned into an ironing board (it sits on old stereo speakers). My machine sits on an old sewing table that a sewing machine used to swing out of. It is pretty much a mish mash of all sorts of things, but it works pretty well. At least I can leave things out and no one cares a flip. My husband calls it my "woman cave."
                          Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

I finally got a space to myself when my youngest daughter moved out. I took the upstairs loft. In the beginning it was perfect. I have 2 6ft tables in a Lusing shape. One I raised the table top using sheet insulation from Home Depot. Now 4 ft of the table is flush with my sewing machine. This is wonderful for large quilts. In the corner of the L is my Mac computer. Then in the other leg of the L is a medium cutting mat, then on the end is a pressing board ( made from Jenny's tut). The set up works great for me. Along the rail of the loft I can set up my ironing board for big projects. At the top of the stairs I put one of those organizers that has cubbies and you can buy the canvas bins, I left out the bins and store my fabric on comic boards. Works great and looks pretty. I also have two of the 3 drawer Sterilite rolling drawers for scraps. Slides right under the tables. Sounds great huh??? Well I've outgrown it LOL. My niece gave me a beautiful cutting table. It has 2 leaves you can open up with a matt. I had to set this up in the spare upstairs bedroom. The bed is filled with bags/boxes of sewing items. And of course I needed a printer/scanner for that big old Mac LOL. I simply had to put it on the antique dresser. This works as it is wireless. LOL my granddaughter visits for the summer every year. 2012 I had repainted the room, new curtains, had it fixed so nice for her. LOL 2013 she barely could get to the bed, had to put her suitcase on the cutting table
                            Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                              Our only son moved out this summer and I am taking over his room. Most of my stuff is in there now, but it is not organized. I will be finishing painting this weekend, I hope.
                              My daughter moved interstate for university last August but all her stuff is still in her room. One day ....
                              ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

Working...
                              X