Hi from Hungary and a Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Hungary and a Question

First let me introduce myself. I'm April and I'm a service member stationed in Hungary! I've done a few table runners and lap quilts, but am wanting to branch out--still very much a newbie. Currently my friend from back in Florida and I are doing a BOM and I'm going to start the Happy Quilting Quilt along. But, I am making the Swoon quilt from Camille Roskelly during the breaks and it is beautiful. My question is she is very specific about cutting the fat quarters precisely because there is so little waste. I haven't been able to cut a solid and get all the cuts from it for one single block. I've measured twice and cut once and I'm still short. I bought the scrumptious fat quarter bundle which I love, but I'm having to piece the last cuts together to get it to work. It's frustrating! Has anyone worked this quilt and had this problem?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
    : )april

Re: Hi from Hungary and a Question

Hello and welcome from Ohio.
    I haven't done that quilt but maybe the fat quarter isn't sized right. I seldom buy pre-cuts, but I've heard others complain the piece isn't measured or cut correctly some times. Have you checked the size of your fat quarter?
    sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

Hi! I visited Hungary in November, what a beautiful place!

image.jpg

Not all fat quarters are exactly the same, because not all fabrics start out being the same width. They can range from 41-45" wide. More and more are around 42" wide. This would definitely affect the size of your fat quarter.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us. Sorry, I haven't worked with that pattern, but it's possible that the size of your FQs are the problem. Barb
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

You could contact Camille Roskelly thru her website. Simplify: Swoonery

just look on the left side of the page and click on the envelope icon

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I think the others have hit on the problem. The length of a fat qtr. should always be 18" but many manufacturers are now making fabric 40-42 in wide instead of the 44-45 in. that it used to be. If the pattern was based on the older width you would be short.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

agreeing that it could very much be the problem of the fat quarter size.

Comment

No advice on the problem, but you mentioned you are in the service, so I would like to thank you and wish you safe journey.

Comment

Hi April! Welcome to the forum! I am sorry I have not done this quilt...and don't know how to help you out with this. I hope we can see some pictures when you are done though!
                  Tyne
                  :D:DTyne:D:D

Comment

I want to go to Hungary! Welcome to the forum April!
                    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
                    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

Ladies,
                      First, thank you for the warm welcome. I've been reading threads for a few weeks now, and finally decided to become a part of the family.
                      As suggested, the fat quarters are short. Argh. Oh well, the solids are so pretty it's now just an excuse to purchase more : )

Jean, Budapest is incredible--definately one of my favorite cities. If you get a chance to come back, Prague and Krakow are my favorites! You'll have to shot me an email first though, because it would be lovely to meet.

Again ladies, thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to becoming friends with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by April Jaehn View Post
                        Ladies,
                        First, thank you for the warm welcome. I've been reading threads for a few weeks now, and finally decided to become a part of the family.
                        As suggested, the fat quarters are short. Argh. Oh well, the solids are so pretty it's now just an excuse to purchase more : )

Jean, Budapest is incredible--definately one of my favorite cities. If you get a chance to come back, Prague and Krakow are my favorites! You'll have to shot me an email first though, because it would be lovely to meet.

Again ladies, thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to becoming friends with everyone.

April, I did visit Prague and that city was A-MA-ZING! An international visit with you would be so much fun! Do you find it easy or difficult to find quilting supplies in Hungary? I found some amazing ( and expensive!) table linens in Hungary. I did find one store in Prague that had a very smll amount of quilting fabric, I bought some beautiful fat quarters which I will use in a very special project in memory of my trip to Eastern Europe!

Comment

Hi April,

I live in Washington State but in November I will be moving to Papa Hungary, I am a little bit nervous, I have never been there before, my question is are there quilting groups there? Can you please let me know.

Thank you so much foe your help

Rosa

Comment

Rosa, I'm so glad you saw this post--I was just getting ready to find your introductory post and link it here! Nice to know there is someone who can answer your question. If there isn't a quilting group already there, maybe the two of you could start one.
                            Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi, April! First, thanks for your service. Second, welcome to the forum!
                              Third, just an fyi: I was making a little zippered bag last evening with a couple of Fat Quarters I had bought at JoAnn's. One of them has a distinctive print that is in rows (not exactly stripes); I had to lop off a good inch on the top and bottom to get the print straight. Also, the f/q tag actually admits that the piece is only 18" by 21", not 22" which would have made it much easier. So, yeah, you need to measure those pre-cuts before you begin!

Comment

Working...
                              X