Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How am I to quilt when...

Originally posted by Sew Perfect View Post
    the owner of a nearby quilt shop was telling me the other day about how he was bitten by a Copperhead snake in his basement. He had no idea how it got there, but he and his wife were able to sever the heard. He was in ICU for sometime.
    IN THE BASEMENT OF A QUILT SHOP????????????????????? OH HELL, I'D GIVE UP QUILTING!!!!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I don't like any of these, mice, bugs, snakes.......bats are ok outside because they eat the bugs. Here is my snake story. My family was having a clean up day. I had been after dh to clean out his side of the closet. I had cleaned my side earlier in the week and kept smelling a musty smell. I asked DH to clean his side and check in case there was a leak or something causing the smell. DD and I were working in the livingroom. DH called to me to bring the broom to him please, I was doing something and waited like 5 minutes. I hear him say I need the broom NOW. I'm like ok, grabbing the broom I was using thinking all the while, what a crab ass. I hand him the broom and go back to the LR with DD. I'm sorting magazines with my back to the dining room. DD is facing me ( and the DR). I see this look of horror cross DD face. She could have earned a Oscar for, spin around just in time to see DH carrying a dead EIGHT foot long black snake. DH later said the musty smell was the snake warning me when I cleaned out the closet. If I had seen this snake, DH would be a wealthy man from my life insurance. DH found a hole a mouse had chewed a little bigger then a quarter, and that has to be where it came in. Hole was fixed immediately, DH went through the entire house with a fine tooth comb, and I still refuse to go into that closet. I hang clothes in the dining room and DH puts them away........and this was ten years ago
      Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

And you didn't move???????????? To another state?????????? They have no snakes in Hawaii or New Zealand!!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Remember, to get rid of mice, you need a snake! Cats and dogs think mice are toys, they do catch and release! I think some nice traps are the way to go. We used the spring and glue traps, both were effective. But the snake was the best exterminator!

Comment

ixnay on the snakeay.......I'd rather have mice!!!!!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

I feel nauseas... this thread is making me ill just thinking about all the possibilities ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                Remember, to get rid of mice, you need a snake! Cats and dogs think mice are toys, they do catch and release! I think some nice traps are the way to go. We used the spring and glue traps, both were effective. But the snake was the best exterminator!
                I was going to say - if you find a snake in your house, a mouse was there first.

We had a cat, Bear, that was a great mouser and ate everything he caught. He would go under the house and hunt as long as the crawl space entry was left open a bit. We never had any mice in that rental house (we had been warned there was a mouse problem) until a repairman closed the entry. I figured out what happened, went back out and opened it a few inches and the mouse problem went away again.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

C'mon over. I'm only about an hour away. My mice stay in the attic, they're afraid of Patrick (squirrel eating dog).
                  My friends call me Peggy
                  The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
                    I would rather have a snake than mice! At least snakes don't crap in your cupboards and eat your food!
                    They eat your food and leave droppings in your cupboards AND.....the way they find their way in and out? They leave a tiny drop of PEE with every step and that helps them find their way back. True story, pest guy told me when we had a RAT (BIG one!) in our office.
                    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                      IN THE BASEMENT OF A QUILT SHOP????????????????????? OH HELL, I'D GIVE UP QUILTING!!!!!!
                      Bubba (Pat), not at the quilt shop, AT HIS HOUSE.
                      sigpicMISA
                      I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

Our last house dog weighed 60 pounds. Every so often he would leave us a present - a dead mouse! He would not eat them but he would catch them and never tore up the house. We tried to figure out how he did it but we never caught him in the act of mouse catching. I'm wondering if they died of heart failure seeing something that big coming after them.

He passed away several years ago, still miss him, he was my quilting buddy.

A few months ago we noticed a field mouse racing across our floor so DH set several traps. One snapped in the morning before DH left for work. He said, "You have got to see this!" Turned out to be a small snake. It was about a foot long and about as big around as a drinking straw. DH assured me it was not a poisonous snake but boy did I stare at the floor for several days while walking on it. It was not enough to make me wear shoes though! LOL Every once in a while we will see tiny lizards. We catch them and put them outside.

The absolute worse critter in our house? A chipmunk. Had to buy a special trap for it. Took 3 days of having that animal running crazy through the house. Finally caught it and took it several miles away to release it in a huge field with plenty of trees. We figured it knew how to get in the house so just letting it go would not work. Still don't know how it got in.
                        Vonnie

Comment

Sorry, ladies and gents, I started to read this post but had to stop. This is a horror story and if I continue reading this, I will be up all night "scared to death"! LOL Don't like critters only cats and dogs - they are large enough to see coming!

Comment

Tomcat brand mouse traps. Much improved over the old wood and wire ones. Then all you need is toothpicks (for dipping into the peanut butter jar) and peanut butter. Works great. Remember they reproduce and spread like mad, so it's best to get right after them. Good luck. oldsewer

Comment

I HATE mice! I would not be sewing nor quilting if I had a mouse in the basement! I wouldn't even go down there. I would be having someone tote up stuff to work on upstairs or I would be quilt shopping!

Comment

When we were on vacation, the house sitter saw Oscar, the weiner dog sneak in the house. Figuring he was up to no good since he was supposed to be outside doing his business, she went in search of him. His kennel inside is weiner dog size......normal length, but not as tall. He was in there WITH A LIVE POSSUM!!!!! I have no clue how she got the dog out w/out either her or him getting injured, but she put the dog out back and the kennel out front and slammed and locked the door! Took her an hour to get up the nerve to go look if it had left or not.....
                                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X