• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lyric
    replied
    Re: Eye Candy For The Day

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
    I so love this quilt!! I think it would be worth the extra work to be able to have the rick rack as shown!
    Here, here, I agree SuzyQue. Finally, a quilt I want for ME (versus all the ones I know will be give-a-ways); heck, I'm worth it!! Er ah, right???? Ha ha ha.

Okay, so the ideas on the board:
    • Tack EACH edge/ridge of the ric rack
    • Finish of the ends - glue, sew . . . ?

Any other ideas for die hards that REALLY want THIS quilt?

Leave a comment:

• madampolo
    replied

Oh, no! Not another one to add to my to-do list. This quilt is absolutely adorable. I would say it is appliqued.

Leave a comment:

• lyric
    replied

Originally posted by Kateskloset View Post
    LOL Now if your sewing machine has a deco stitch that would look like rick rack....there's an idea.
    , I'm working with a 1925 Sears Handcrank machine, {bwwwahhhhh, crying like Lucy}; no decoing over here.

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

Thanks, Marilyn for the encouragement on the gingham circles! I am considering this....seriously! That was actually one of my DD's suggestions weeks ago when I was fretting about straight edges.

I have had success with rick rack by tacking each little point down.....yes, tons of work.....but it washes and looks great forever, too. On one of my DD's dresses as a little girl, I actually did some fancy little embroidery over the rick rack and it was adorable!! Too much for a quilt, probably! I so love this quilt!! I think it would be worth the extra work to be able to have the rick rack as shown!

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

Hmm, could something else, braid, petersham, SOMETHING, be used in place of rick rac then? I really like the RR though, hmmmmm????
    I really love the rick rack too, but I think that anything like braid that has that raw edge that you have to conceal is going to be a booger to finish off, and not to mention washing it. It is a pretty quilt, but not a "use and throw in the washing machine" kind of quilt. Let's just say it would be an art piece! LOL Now if your sewing machine has a deco stitch that would look like rick rack....there's an idea.

Leave a comment:

• lyric
    replied

Hmm, could something else, braid, petersham, SOMETHING, be used in place of rick rac then? I really like the RR though, hmmmmm????

Leave a comment:

• alliek
    replied

What a sweet quilt! I don't know if I have the ability to do this-but I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by Kateskloset View Post
    It is bee-uuu-tiiii-ful!! I love polka dots! I just don't know about all that rick rack. Having made children's clothes for many years, I have sewn rick rack on many things, and there's just no way of ending it in a circle that is attractive. You have to burn the ends on the newer rick rack to keep them from raveling, not attractive for a quilt. The old stuff was cotton, I don't even know if you can still find that.
    Me too on the clothes. It curls up after washing it too. I donated all mine to a member here for her dd.

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

It is bee-uuu-tiiii-ful!! I love polka dots! I just don't know about all that rick rack. Having made children's clothes for many years, I have sewn rick rack on many things, and there's just no way of ending it in a circle that is attractive. You have to burn the ends on the newer rick rack to keep them from raveling, not attractive for a quilt. The old stuff was cotton, I don't even know if you can still find that.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
    I would say it is appliqued and then rick rack sewn around the edges. I would have to do it 2 steps. VERY cute!! Wishing I had as many dots as ginghams.....I would so do this! I have a friend that would adore this quilt !!!
    Suzy, I think this would look adorable in gingham. You wouldn't have to worry about straight lines, and the circles would look great made out of the gingham. I say go for it.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

It looks adorable and fun. I pinned it in hopes of doing something like it someday and using one of my sewing machine feet.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

How fun and fresh. Can't wait to see if one you do it

Leave a comment:

• lyric
    replied
    Original Pinner Just Responded

She says:

Kathryn Chapeau • 3 minutes ago

No pattern necessary. Looks like this quilt was done with individual squares. The circles can be easily done using any of these techniques: http://jootjoot.blogspot.co... http://thehappyzombie.com/b... 2011 - Ellison Lane... Then, a rick-rack is used to border the bigger circles. I would do a solid border and place the circles as you wish. Best of luck!!

Leave a comment:

• laf512
    replied

That is a VERY cute quilt!!!

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

Shirley---please keep us posted and share your pics! I love this quilt! (I had already pinned it on pinterest)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X