Clear All

Re: Eye Candy For The Day

That is a VERY cute quilt!!!
    Lori

Comment

Original Pinner Just Responded

She says:

Kathryn Chapeau • 3 minutes ago

No pattern necessary. Looks like this quilt was done with individual squares. The circles can be easily done using any of these techniques: http://jootjoot.blogspot.co... http://thehappyzombie.com/b... 2011 - Ellison Lane... Then, a rick-rack is used to border the bigger circles. I would do a solid border and place the circles as you wish. Best of luck!!
      sigpic

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Comment

How fun and fresh. Can't wait to see if one you do it
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

It looks adorable and fun. I pinned it in hopes of doing something like it someday and using one of my sewing machine feet.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
            I would say it is appliqued and then rick rack sewn around the edges. I would have to do it 2 steps. VERY cute!! Wishing I had as many dots as ginghams.....I would so do this! I have a friend that would adore this quilt !!!
            Suzy, I think this would look adorable in gingham. You wouldn't have to worry about straight lines, and the circles would look great made out of the gingham. I say go for it.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

It is bee-uuu-tiiii-ful!! I love polka dots! I just don't know about all that rick rack. Having made children's clothes for many years, I have sewn rick rack on many things, and there's just no way of ending it in a circle that is attractive. You have to burn the ends on the newer rick rack to keep them from raveling, not attractive for a quilt. The old stuff was cotton, I don't even know if you can still find that.
              "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
              :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kateskloset View Post
                It is bee-uuu-tiiii-ful!! I love polka dots! I just don't know about all that rick rack. Having made children's clothes for many years, I have sewn rick rack on many things, and there's just no way of ending it in a circle that is attractive. You have to burn the ends on the newer rick rack to keep them from raveling, not attractive for a quilt. The old stuff was cotton, I don't even know if you can still find that.
                Me too on the clothes. It curls up after washing it too. I donated all mine to a member here for her dd.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

What a sweet quilt! I don't know if I have the ability to do this-but I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hmm, could something else, braid, petersham, SOMETHING, be used in place of rick rac then? I really like the RR though, hmmmmm????
                    sigpic

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Comment

Hmm, could something else, braid, petersham, SOMETHING, be used in place of rick rac then? I really like the RR though, hmmmmm????
                      I really love the rick rack too, but I think that anything like braid that has that raw edge that you have to conceal is going to be a booger to finish off, and not to mention washing it. It is a pretty quilt, but not a "use and throw in the washing machine" kind of quilt. Let's just say it would be an art piece! LOL Now if your sewing machine has a deco stitch that would look like rick rack....there's an idea.
                      "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                      :D

Comment

Thanks, Marilyn for the encouragement on the gingham circles! I am considering this....seriously! That was actually one of my DD's suggestions weeks ago when I was fretting about straight edges.

I have had success with rick rack by tacking each little point down.....yes, tons of work.....but it washes and looks great forever, too. On one of my DD's dresses as a little girl, I actually did some fancy little embroidery over the rick rack and it was adorable!! Too much for a quilt, probably! I so love this quilt!! I think it would be worth the extra work to be able to have the rick rack as shown!

Comment

Originally posted by Kateskloset View Post
                          LOL Now if your sewing machine has a deco stitch that would look like rick rack....there's an idea.
                          , I'm working with a 1925 Sears Handcrank machine, {bwwwahhhhh, crying like Lucy}; no decoing over here.
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh, no! Not another one to add to my to-do list. This quilt is absolutely adorable. I would say it is appliqued.
                            Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                              I so love this quilt!! I think it would be worth the extra work to be able to have the rick rack as shown!
                              Here, here, I agree SuzyQue. Finally, a quilt I want for ME (versus all the ones I know will be give-a-ways); heck, I'm worth it!! Er ah, right???? Ha ha ha.

Okay, so the ideas on the board:
                              • Tack EACH edge/ridge of the ric rack
                              • Finish of the ends - glue, sew . . . ?

Any other ideas for die hards that REALLY want THIS quilt?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X