Spoiled to Jenny's tutorials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spoiled to Jenny's tutorials?

I am definitely spoiled by Jenny's tutorials... She is such an intuitive teacher.....and genuinely warm... With a sense of humor... Yep.. I'm spoiled...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have all four Quilting Quickly magazines, too... I love going through them.... They are a great source of inspiration....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I absolutely love watching her tutorials. Even my husband knows the lady who tells me how to do stuff and has a chick that quacks like a duck!!! She is coming to The Quilt Walk, which is an awesome quilt show/celebration honoring pioneers who used their quilts to lay over the snow in order to cross a Mountain Pass to get food. I signed up for one of her classes today and I was just giddy about it. She's teaching about 5, but you can only sign up for 1. Can hardly wait!!!

Comment

Are the Quilting Quickly magazines still available or are they out of print? And are their only 4 issues? Thanks in advance!!
          ~ Connie ~

Comment

I am self taught by watching Jenny as well. I am a visual learner. I can look at the quilt and kind of figure it out. But I watch tutes and sewing shows to learn more. I buy magazines but I don't always follow their instructions either. I usually can say to myself that Jenny already did a tute on that and made it easier than that!! Lol
            :icon_wave:

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

Comment

I don't think you will be successful if you only look at Jenny's tutorials. You will need to learn how to square up your patches before you sew them into blocks. Jenny does not do that, and using her method and sewing them together without squaring will lead to disaster and frustration. I would also read about bias edges and the dangers one faces when dealing with them. So, use her videos for the overall pattern, but use them with a good overall knowledge.
              Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

When I began quilting, I always squared up my squares, I guess common sense or reading it somewhere, I don't remember where I heard it or learned it. And having been sewing professionally most of my life, I already had basic knowledge of how fabric stretches, grain, and the bias of a piece of fabric. But I do agree that someone who is new to it all should definitely read and study all they can to get educated on how fabric behaves and the dos and don'ts of quilting and not rely solely on Jenny's tutorials. For me, my mother quilted and I thought it was "too much sugar for a dime" and had no desire to take 6 months to hand quilt a blanket. I never liked her choices of fabrics, they were dark and not appealing to me. Quilting was intimidating to me....I could handsmock an elaborate baby's christening gown and bonnet that was very tedious work for days, but never thought that I could even quilt. Jenny's tutorials made me look at quilting in a new way, knowing "hey, I can do that!" And with the new fabrics, and the "Quilting Quickly" methods.... it is actually enjoyable to quilt and to be able to see a project come to light in just a couple of days.
                "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                :D

Comment

I also find her tutorials very helpful and fun.
                  bjsmith57

Comment

Originally posted by madampolo View Post
                    I don't think you will be successful if you only look at Jenny's tutorials. You will need to learn how to square up your patches before you sew them into blocks. Jenny does not do that, and using her method and sewing them together without squaring will lead to disaster and frustration. I would also read about bias edges and the dangers one faces when dealing with them. So, use her videos for the overall pattern, but use them with a good overall knowledge.
                    I fully agree with you Joyce. Jenny has wonderful ideas to make Patterns easier and quicker, but finishing the top and the complete quilt it Needs much more knowledge. There are always the same steps to finish a wonderful quilt and no one can be left.

Comment

I love Jenny's totorials ! Have a question? Is there anyplace where just Pictures of her quilts are ?
                      Like to print out to look at?
                      Jackie J
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes, her books...https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ilting+Quickly
                        sigpicMISA
                        I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

I like the tutorials a lot.

I think there can be different reasons to make quilts, and they are all valid in their own way. Some are works of art, and people actually make them to be hung on the walls and not even snuggled under. They are beautiful to look at and I am in awe of the skill and creativity in them. Some are utilitarian and are actually meant as a means of keeping warm when it is cold. Some are both meant to be used and beautiful to look at. Some are symbolic, with fabric that is representative of life stages, life events, or individual preferences for certain colors, designs, or interests (cats, music, etc.). I have one friend who does fabulous art quilts with freehand thread painting that is just gorgeous. I have another friend who leaves all of the edges raw, straight stitches around the shape edges, and hand quilts everything--most of her quilts have things like outlines of the hands of all the children in a classroom, or the hands of members of a family stitched randomly across the top of the quilt.

My personal bias is that I myself would rather receive a quilt that I know was made with love just for me than to receive an absolutely perfect quilt where, for example, someone was so stressed out about perfect points that the process itself was not enjoyable.

I think the tutorials are so valuable because they provide a way for "regular" people to create something that is made with love, is very creative, and is even beautiful--without it being a super difficult or overly stressful process.

As people gain experience, they can always progress to additional skills and techniques if the love of the process and the result are already there. Not having sewn in many years, I was so surprised at all of the precuts and all of the fabulously beautiful fabrics that are available now! I went into a quilt shop and fell in love with the charm packs--really!--42 gorgeous fabrics for that small amount of money?! I was so excited. The LQS person explained about the D9P and I thought it was magic! I bought additional fabric, pillow forms, etc., and made four throw pillows with that Batik charm pack. Just looking at the fabric made me happy!

Anyway, I am rambling. . .my POINT is (and it isn't a perfect point, LOL) that I think it is OK to start with simple techniques and "magic" patterns and enjoy the process and the result!

I recently purchased a highly rated beginning book about quilting. It has so much detail! It is daunting! I can't possibly do all of the things that book says you have to do. If I had started with that book, I would not have started at all. Because I started with a simple pattern and project, I am now absolutely hooked. The tutorials are wonderful--enjoyable, entertaining, clear, and results-oriented, and I am really, really glad we have them!

sigpic
                          Marci

Comment

You will love her. She is as friendly and down to earth as they come. Talking with her is like talking to an old friend. You will have a ball.
                            Originally posted by LaNiece View Post
                            I absolutely love watching her tutorials. Even my husband knows the lady who tells me how to do stuff and has a chick that quacks like a duck!!! She is coming to The Quilt Walk, which is an awesome quilt show/celebration honoring pioneers who used their quilts to lay over the snow in order to cross a Mountain Pass to get food. I signed up for one of her classes today and I was just giddy about it. She's teaching about 5, but you can only sign up for 1. Can hardly wait!!!
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

I have been quilting since 1998, I was taught to break down a pattern into blocks and then figure out how the block was made. Have made up my own patterns and also used some of Eleanor Burns. Then I picked up on MAQC and started watching Jenny's tutorials. She has figured out so many easy ways to make blocks. I think the first one I saw was the 3 dudes. I was blown away and had to make up a sample which I shared with my quilting group, from then on it was a new block every week. Mind you I was not impressed when a so called friend made up the disappearing nine patch and proclaimed at a meeting that she had made it up!!! I knew exactly where she had got it from. I had showed her how to do it the week before.............not amused............

I went on and watched all her tutorials, I wish I had the time and cash to make all the quilts. I would love to see her take on the double wedding ring, on a recent video I saw one on the wall behind her, its one of the quilts I really want to make.

I look forward each week to seeing the announcement for a new video. My wish list has one thing on it I doubt will ever happen and that is to attend a workshop with Jenny and visit the shop.
                              ================================================== ==============

Comment

Amen!! I am a true beginner and I never would have begun--if it weren't for Jenny!

Comment

Working...
                                X