Farmers wife progress so far....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmers wife progress so far....

Well I've just finished my third block, number 1 I'm happy with, number 2 I'm not so I want to redo and number 3 is okish! Only problem I have they should measure 6.5 .....mine are 6 and I don't know what I've done wrong, I've measured twice before cutting and been so careful!

I guess as they are all coming out at 6 I will just carry on and leave be....unless I can figure out what's gone wrong!

Re: Farmers wife progress so far....

Do you have pictures ? Would love to see what you got so far.

Maybe you had a bit of a fat 1/4" seam on the block that turned out 6" instead of 6 1/2" ?
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

As long as you are the only one putting blocks in that quilt, you will be fine. The over all top will be smaller, but whatever you are doing wrong (and I think it is a fat 1/4 " seam) , you will continue and all the blocks will come out the same.

If you want to start again and learn from your mistake, practice your 1/4" seams on graph paper or measure and reset that stitch width till you have a perfect 1/4 ". I know even with my 1/4" foot, if I don't reset my stitch width.....markedly....it is not a true 1/4" seam. It is not too late to fix this and start again.....but you will have to remake all 3 blocks as they will now be closer to the 6.5 inch size. Remember on the pattern, if it says 6 " block.....you must look to see if that is finished or not. It would be 6.5 if not the finished size, but if it states the finished size block, it would be 6 inches. I hope I didn't confuse you!

Comment

Also, make sure that you are approaching and sitting at your machine the same way each time. A 1/4" is a tiny seam that can be off by just sitting in a different position in relation to the needle. You want to be looking at the needle and the edge of the foot the same each seam! It sounds picky, but over the course of a large quilt with many seams......a tiny little error is multiplied many times and adds up to inches wrong!

Comment

I know when I started my Farmers Wife my blocks were also coming out at 6". I was a bit puzzled so checked the templates and the printer setting. It seems that I hadn't set the printer to 100% so they were printing out slightly less. I then figured that as long as all of them are roughly the same size there's nothing that a bit of "squidging" won't fix and after sashing is added the man on the galloping horse will be happy. There are lots of tiny pieces but it's very easy to get hooked on the whole project. Good luck with it - let's know how you are getting on with it.

Comment

Working...
          X