• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snowbird
    replied
    Re: Brother Scan and Cut

Originally posted by Lovebugswoman View Post
    I recently bought the Silhouette Cameo and took a good look Brother Scan N'Cut before buying. What appealed to me was that the Brother product didn't have to be connected to a computer. After a quick email to Silhouette support I found out that I can put designs on an SD card and keep my Cameo in my sewing room. That made up my mind. I wanted to use my computer because I don't want to try to figure things out on a little LCD screen. ( Also one of my reasons to upgraded my sewing/embroidery machine. I have to say I love, love my Cameo. I've used it for paper and fabric and it's so easy. I went looking for a leaf pattern this week Googled and found what I wanted imported it into the free software which has been sufficient so far (no need to upgrade) and had a leaves printed out in minutes. I do have separate blades for fabric and paper.
    FYI - Brother has an on-line program for the Scan N Cut that you can create, edit, and download your completed design to a USB. I use the display on the Scan N Cut primarily to align my design where I want it to cut or draw rather it be fabric or paper.

Leave a comment:

• icul8rg8r
    replied

I have the Brother Scan-n-Cut and am very pleased. I have recently started doing applique quilts but found all the cutting out by hand to be quite tedious and of course nothing came out looking as perfect as the pattern. Not to mention TIME CONSUMING. And in some cases, so much cutting that my hands were beginning to cramp. With the Scan-N-Cut I simply scan in the pattern (ANY pattern - even one I make) and within a matter of minutes my fabric pieces are cut out and ready. I especially love that I can also scan my fabric and then place the pattern wherever I want on the fabric (fussy cutting). I am thoroughly enjoying applique quilting now that I have the Scan-N-Cut! I bought mine on sale through the dealer and received free usage classes. Highly recommend!

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Hancock Fabrics has it advertised in their sale mailer that starts tomorrow for $449.

image.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Lovebugswoman
    replied

I recently bought the Silhouette Cameo and took a good look Brother Scan N'Cut before buying. What appealed to me was that the Brother product didn't have to be connected to a computer. After a quick email to Silhouette support I found out that I can put designs on an SD card and keep my Cameo in my sewing room. That made up my mind. I wanted to use my computer because I don't want to try to figure things out on a little LCD screen. ( Also one of my reasons to upgraded my sewing/embroidery machine. I have to say I love, love my Cameo. I've used it for paper and fabric and it's so easy. I went looking for a leaf pattern this week Googled and found what I wanted imported it into the free software which has been sufficient so far (no need to upgrade) and had a leaves printed out in minutes. I do have separate blades for fabric and paper.

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    If I purchased the scan and cut I would use it for emb. machine applique. Can anyone tell me how this is done. Is it first transferred to a usb and then to the scan and cut? Not sure how to do that exactly. I have a cricut which is great for paper cutting but yet to master the fabric cutting.
    Basically you print the design on your printer (actual size), then scan the document into the Scan N Cut, then scan your fabric, move the image on the Scan N Cut screen to where you want to cut the design from your fabric, then select cut. The manual gives step-by-step procedures. It is really easy and I think you will enjoy having the machine.

Check this link for more info: Brother ScanNCut Material Cutter | Craft Trends, News, and More

If you do a search on YouTube, several people have done demos of the unit.

Leave a comment:

• quilter@57
    replied

If I purchased the scan and cut I would use it for emb. machine applique. Can anyone tell me how this is done. Is it first transferred to a usb and then to the scan and cut? Not sure how to do that exactly. I have a cricut which is great for paper cutting but yet to master the fabric cutting.

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
    I would LOVE to know everything you find out!

I am definitely trying the freezer paper stabilizer, and since it is not permanent I am pressing it to the right side of the fabric, so I don't have to worry about reversing my patterns!

What an awesome idea!

So you do not need to use the fabric sheet with this? Good thing I got an extra mat, because I would rather cut the lawn with scissors than re-do that fabric sheet again!
    She did not specify if the high tack sheet was to be used only stated to use the standard mat. I referred to the manual and cheat sheet and they state to use the high tack sheet with "thin fabric (quilt piece)/0.25 mm and flannel (for quilt piece)/0.6mm" and "lightweight fabric (for any use other than quilt piecing)" use a stabilizer so if it were me cutting lawn applique pieces, I would not use the high tack sheet.

I used the high tack sheet once to cut wool - BIG MISTAKE! So many fibers were stuck to the sheet. You thought you had a mess applying the sheet to the mat, you should have seen and heard what was going on in my sewing room on that particular day! BTW, it was suggested that I try the freezer paper on both sides of the wool so that will be another experiment for another day.

I purchased extra mats; 2 low tack mats and marked each for a specific application and 3 standard mats which I applied the high tack sheet to one, marked one for fabric only, and the third mat for card stock/heavy paper only. I hated to spend the extra $s but it keeps me on the "straight and narrow" while cutting projects.

The Scan N Cut applique class has been rescheduled for March 17th so I will post the tips & tricks I learn that day.

Leave a comment:

• Cat n bull
    replied

Double post!

Leave a comment:

• Cat n bull
    replied

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
    I was just at my LQS yesterday and we discussed using freezer paper as a stabilizer. As another mention, just press onto the back of your fabric and place the fabric face-down with paper-side up on the standard mat. We also discussed spraying 505 on the mat and was cautioned against it because (1) it may create issues with the scanning and (2) may void out the machine warranty if issues arise. I was also told that using "baby wipes" will clean the mat of debris without removing the tackiness.

A Scan N Cut applique class was scheduled for this coming Monday but has been reschedule due to the predicted snow storm in our area. If anyone is interested in the information gathered from the class, I will be happy to share just let me know.

I would LOVE to know everything you find out!

I am definitely trying the freezer paper stabilizer, and since it is not permanent I am pressing it to the right side of the fabric, so I don't have to worry about reversing my patterns!

What an awesome idea!

So you do not need to use the fabric sheet with this? Good thing I got an extra mat, because I would rather cut the lawn with scissors than re-do that fabric sheet again!

Leave a comment:

• Lissau
    replied

the brother scan and cut is a bloody awesome machine ....

Leave a comment:

• hh677
    replied

Thank you! I would definitely like to hear about your class. I hope that it is rescheduled soon!

Leave a comment:

• hh677
    replied

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
    I wonder if her supplier is just recommending the product they sell?

The scan n cut also takes a usb, so there is a way to get a design from a computer to the machine. Not a direct connection though.

The biggest difference besides the computer one, is the scan n cut allows you to scan your fabric and fussy cut, the silhouette does not.

From my experience so far, I would not recommend ANY machine like this for cutting things like squares or strips from yardage on a large scale.

You are limited to the width of the machine, so you have to cut your fabric to fit, then prepare it, (scan n cut has a fabric mat you add to their regular mat, and starching til cripsy really helps. The fabric mat only needs to be done once, then you can leave it on until it needs to be replaced. Silhouette says to fuse interfacing to the fabric first. You would not want your quilt blocks to have that much interfacing in it!). It is much easier and way more time efficient to just cut your yardage with a rotary cutter and ruler.

I got mine for applique. I did not want to have to take my pattern, scan it into my computer, then connect my cutter to my computer to get my designs. I wanted to be able to scan the patterns, many of them hand drawn, directly into my cutter.

Scanning the fabric to fussy cut has turned out to be my favorite feature! SO COOL!!!
    Thank you for your input. I absolutely believe that the supplier was simply recommending the product that he sells - although that does not necessarliy mean that it was a bad product.

When I mentioned cutting quilt pieces, I was thinking in terms of the Bonnie Hunter quilts that I have worked on. I don't have a huge stash of yardage, so I generally end up working from fat quarters to get variety. If I buy the 12x24 mat I would only have to cut 6' off to cut shapes, especially triangles. reserving that section for strips. I would never use this machine to cut strips.

That fabric scanning capabilities sounds really cool!

I was 99% sure that I was going to buy the Brother. Now my daughter has expressed an interest in making paper flowers. When I told her about this machine she was very enthused. I'm going to the Lancaster AQS show in 2 weeks, and hope to see a demo there. Special show pricing would be even better, as I would like to come home with this new toy!

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied

Holly, I have not used the Silhouette so cannot offer a comparison between the two machines but several sales personnel at my LQS have and even though owning the Silhouette purchased the Scan N Cut. You mentioned you want to print on fabric - this can be done on the Scan N Cut BUT with only one color pen it is not a multi-color printer.

I was just at my LQS yesterday and we discussed using freezer paper as a stabilizer. As another mention, just press onto the back of your fabric and place the fabric face-down with paper-side up on the standard mat. We also discussed spraying 505 on the mat and was cautioned against it because (1) it may create issues with the scanning and (2) may void out the machine warranty if issues arise. I was also told that using "baby wipes" will clean the mat of debris without removing the tackiness.

A Scan N Cut applique class was scheduled for this coming Monday but has been reschedule due to the predicted snow storm in our area. If anyone is interested in the information gathered from the class, I will be happy to share just let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Learner quilter
    replied

Originally posted by Learner quilter View Post
    I think he put the paper on the wrong side of the fabric. Fabric side down on the scanNcut , looks like a great machine if you are into cutting shapes. This is the man who was on TV maybe you will get tips here. Gentleman Crafter
    Been on his facebook page..

Gentleman Crafter I used the Standard Mat. Just ironed the Freezer paper on the back of the fabric, put this on the mat face down (paper side up) and cut as normal. The freezer paper peels off easily and leaves no residue on the fabric. More tests to be done, but I didn't detect any issues with that simple cut.
    Like · Reply · 8 · 26 February at 19:39

Leave a comment:

• Learner quilter
    replied

I think he put the paper on the wrong side of the fabric. Fabric side down on the scanNcut , looks like a great machine if you are into cutting shapes. This is the man who was on TV maybe you will get tips here. Gentleman Crafter
    Last edited by Learner quilter; March 1, 2014, 11:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X