• Show
Clear All

Re: Brother Scan and Cut

Double post!
    Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
      I would LOVE to know everything you find out!

I am definitely trying the freezer paper stabilizer, and since it is not permanent I am pressing it to the right side of the fabric, so I don't have to worry about reversing my patterns!

What an awesome idea!

So you do not need to use the fabric sheet with this? Good thing I got an extra mat, because I would rather cut the lawn with scissors than re-do that fabric sheet again!
      She did not specify if the high tack sheet was to be used only stated to use the standard mat. I referred to the manual and cheat sheet and they state to use the high tack sheet with "thin fabric (quilt piece)/0.25 mm and flannel (for quilt piece)/0.6mm" and "lightweight fabric (for any use other than quilt piecing)" use a stabilizer so if it were me cutting lawn applique pieces, I would not use the high tack sheet.

I used the high tack sheet once to cut wool - BIG MISTAKE! So many fibers were stuck to the sheet. You thought you had a mess applying the sheet to the mat, you should have seen and heard what was going on in my sewing room on that particular day! BTW, it was suggested that I try the freezer paper on both sides of the wool so that will be another experiment for another day.

I purchased extra mats; 2 low tack mats and marked each for a specific application and 3 standard mats which I applied the high tack sheet to one, marked one for fabric only, and the third mat for card stock/heavy paper only. I hated to spend the extra $s but it keeps me on the "straight and narrow" while cutting projects.

The Scan N Cut applique class has been rescheduled for March 17th so I will post the tips & tricks I learn that day.

Comment

If I purchased the scan and cut I would use it for emb. machine applique. Can anyone tell me how this is done. Is it first transferred to a usb and then to the scan and cut? Not sure how to do that exactly. I have a cricut which is great for paper cutting but yet to master the fabric cutting.
        Sew FAR Sew Good
        Fran

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          If I purchased the scan and cut I would use it for emb. machine applique. Can anyone tell me how this is done. Is it first transferred to a usb and then to the scan and cut? Not sure how to do that exactly. I have a cricut which is great for paper cutting but yet to master the fabric cutting.
          Basically you print the design on your printer (actual size), then scan the document into the Scan N Cut, then scan your fabric, move the image on the Scan N Cut screen to where you want to cut the design from your fabric, then select cut. The manual gives step-by-step procedures. It is really easy and I think you will enjoy having the machine.

Check this link for more info: Brother ScanNCut Material Cutter | Craft Trends, News, and More

If you do a search on YouTube, several people have done demos of the unit.

Comment

I recently bought the Silhouette Cameo and took a good look Brother Scan N'Cut before buying. What appealed to me was that the Brother product didn't have to be connected to a computer. After a quick email to Silhouette support I found out that I can put designs on an SD card and keep my Cameo in my sewing room. That made up my mind. I wanted to use my computer because I don't want to try to figure things out on a little LCD screen. ( Also one of my reasons to upgraded my sewing/embroidery machine. I have to say I love, love my Cameo. I've used it for paper and fabric and it's so easy. I went looking for a leaf pattern this week Googled and found what I wanted imported it into the free software which has been sufficient so far (no need to upgrade) and had a leaves printed out in minutes. I do have separate blades for fabric and paper.
            Sue
            "Sewing forever, housework whenever!"

Comment

Hancock Fabrics has it advertised in their sale mailer that starts tomorrow for $449.

image.jpg

Comment

I have the Brother Scan-n-Cut and am very pleased. I have recently started doing applique quilts but found all the cutting out by hand to be quite tedious and of course nothing came out looking as perfect as the pattern. Not to mention TIME CONSUMING. And in some cases, so much cutting that my hands were beginning to cramp. With the Scan-N-Cut I simply scan in the pattern (ANY pattern - even one I make) and within a matter of minutes my fabric pieces are cut out and ready. I especially love that I can also scan my fabric and then place the pattern wherever I want on the fabric (fussy cutting). I am thoroughly enjoying applique quilting now that I have the Scan-N-Cut! I bought mine on sale through the dealer and received free usage classes. Highly recommend!

Comment

Originally posted by Lovebugswoman View Post
                  I recently bought the Silhouette Cameo and took a good look Brother Scan N'Cut before buying. What appealed to me was that the Brother product didn't have to be connected to a computer. After a quick email to Silhouette support I found out that I can put designs on an SD card and keep my Cameo in my sewing room. That made up my mind. I wanted to use my computer because I don't want to try to figure things out on a little LCD screen. ( Also one of my reasons to upgraded my sewing/embroidery machine. I have to say I love, love my Cameo. I've used it for paper and fabric and it's so easy. I went looking for a leaf pattern this week Googled and found what I wanted imported it into the free software which has been sufficient so far (no need to upgrade) and had a leaves printed out in minutes. I do have separate blades for fabric and paper.
                  FYI - Brother has an on-line program for the Scan N Cut that you can create, edit, and download your completed design to a USB. I use the display on the Scan N Cut primarily to align my design where I want it to cut or draw rather it be fabric or paper.

Comment

Working...
                  X