Brother Scan and Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brother Scan and Cut

I'm hoping they have this at Sew Expo tomorrow....I'd like to see it in action. Although I don't know why since I can't afford it right now!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
      Finally used my scan n cut!

I did not try cutting paper. I first tested on muslin.

I starched it well, then stuck it to the mat with the fabric adhesive sheet on it.

To backup a bit- OH.MY.GAWD......getting that sticky fabric sheet onto the sticky mat SUCKED. That was NOT fun in any way and the whole scan n cut almost sailed out the window at one point. It has been a few weeks now since I did it, and I am still not over it.

OK. Back to the test on muslin. I followed the test directions, and successfully cut a BITTY little square out of the muslin. YAY!

I super starched a charm square of batik fabric, the fused Misty Fuse to the back of it, and stuck that to the mat with the sticky fabric sheet on it.

I scanned a bunch of applique shapes, was able to figure that out fairly easily, then cut them out.

I LOVE!!!!! being able to scan the fabric first, then choose where on it I want the pattern cut.

The Misty Fused fabric REALLY stuck to the mat. I had to scrape carefully to get the shapes out. I did have some fraying on a few pieces at first. I cut SMALL shapes, and did get the hang of the spatula removal after a while.

Next I tried letting the Misty Fuse really cool down before putting it on the mat. PERFECT cuts and came right off the mat with the scraper! The ability to scan in ANY shape, AND scan the fabric to fussy cut them out, is awesome!

It really does make cutting multiples a breeze, especially really small, tedious to cut shapes.

So far I have not cut my mat, I followed the recommended settings for fabric and it has worked well for me.

I do NOT recommend this for cutting things like strips or squares for a whole quilt. You only have a 12" x 12" area to work in, or you can get the longer mat that's 12"x24". Still, not the best way to cut fabric yardage!

You're supposed to put fabric side DOWN to keep the paper from sticking to the mat.
      "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

When I saw the demo on this yesterday, they were using a product Brother makes for fusing the fabric and it was pretty slick. It is called PrintnFuse and comes in packs w/several sheets.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by Mchelem View Post
          You're supposed to put fabric side DOWN to keep the paper from sticking to the mat.
          Misty Fuse doesn't have paper, it is a very light, airy web. It takes about 15 minutes for it to cool down and not be tacky, and I didn't wait, I used it immediately.

After that 1st time, I DID let it cool past the tacky stage, and got perfect cuts that were very easy to get off the mat.

I LOVE Misty Fuse because I don't have to reverse my patterns, which gets very confusing for me.
          Cathryn

Comment

I'm also interested in the Brother Scan n Cut. I've discussed it with the owner of my LQS (not a Brother dealer). Her supplier is recommending the Silhouette Cameo. I think the Cameo may suit her needs better than mine, as she designs quilts for publication and kitting, and works with a graphic designer. I can see where having to scan rather than link directly to a computer may seem like a step backwards to them.

I, on the other hand, do not design quilts, or work with any designing software. I would like to be able to load a piece of fabric and cut multiple squares, triangles, bricks, etc. I would also like to be able to cut non-geometric shapes for applique, cut both fabric and cardstock hexagons for English paper piecing, fussy cut, and print on fabric either for quilt pieces or labels.

Has anyone used both the Cameo and the Brother? Which would you recommend for my purposes? Is there anything listed above that either machine cannot do?

I've been looking for info online on both machines. I think that Brother has done a better job of advertising, and I am leaning toward it, but I want to be sure that I'm buying the most suitable machine, not the better adverstised one.

Thanks for your input.

Holly

Comment

Create and craft TV have been showing scan and cut for a few week now freezer paper can be used when cutting fabric.
              sigpic Christine.

Comment

Originally posted by hh677 View Post
                I'm also interested in the Brother Scan n Cut. I've discussed it with the owner of my LQS (not a Brother dealer). Her supplier is recommending the Silhouette Cameo. I think the Cameo may suit her needs better than mine, as she designs quilts for publication and kitting, and works with a graphic designer. I can see where having to scan rather than link directly to a computer may seem like a step backwards to them.

I, on the other hand, do not design quilts, or work with any designing software. I would like to be able to load a piece of fabric and cut multiple squares, triangles, bricks, etc. I would also like to be able to cut non-geometric shapes for applique, cut both fabric and cardstock hexagons for English paper piecing, fussy cut, and print on fabric either for quilt pieces or labels.

Has anyone used both the Cameo and the Brother? Which would you recommend for my purposes? Is there anything listed above that either machine cannot do?

I've been looking for info online on both machines. I think that Brother has done a better job of advertising, and I am leaning toward it, but I want to be sure that I'm buying the most suitable machine, not the better adverstised one.

Thanks for your input.

Holly
                I wonder if her supplier is just recommending the product they sell?

The scan n cut also takes a usb, so there is a way to get a design from a computer to the machine. Not a direct connection though.

The biggest difference besides the computer one, is the scan n cut allows you to scan your fabric and fussy cut, the silhouette does not.

From my experience so far, I would not recommend ANY machine like this for cutting things like squares or strips from yardage on a large scale.

You are limited to the width of the machine, so you have to cut your fabric to fit, then prepare it, (scan n cut has a fabric mat you add to their regular mat, and starching til cripsy really helps. The fabric mat only needs to be done once, then you can leave it on until it needs to be replaced. Silhouette says to fuse interfacing to the fabric first. You would not want your quilt blocks to have that much interfacing in it!). It is much easier and way more time efficient to just cut your yardage with a rotary cutter and ruler.

I got mine for applique. I did not want to have to take my pattern, scan it into my computer, then connect my cutter to my computer to get my designs. I wanted to be able to scan the patterns, many of them hand drawn, directly into my cutter.

Scanning the fabric to fussy cut has turned out to be my favorite feature! SO COOL!!!
                Last edited by Cat n bull; March 1, 2014, 10:34 AM.
                Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Learner quilter View Post
                  Create and craft TV have been showing scan and cut for a few week now freezer paper can be used when cutting fabric.
                  Ooooo sounds like a great idea! Did they tell you how/what to do?
                  Cathryn

Comment

I think he put the paper on the wrong side of the fabric. Fabric side down on the scanNcut , looks like a great machine if you are into cutting shapes. This is the man who was on TV maybe you will get tips here. Gentleman Crafter
                    Last edited by Learner quilter; March 1, 2014, 11:18 AM.
                    sigpic Christine.

Comment

Originally posted by Learner quilter View Post
                      I think he put the paper on the wrong side of the fabric. Fabric side down on the scanNcut , looks like a great machine if you are into cutting shapes. This is the man who was on TV maybe you will get tips here. Gentleman Crafter
                      Been on his facebook page..

Gentleman Crafter I used the Standard Mat. Just ironed the Freezer paper on the back of the fabric, put this on the mat face down (paper side up) and cut as normal. The freezer paper peels off easily and leaves no residue on the fabric. More tests to be done, but I didn't detect any issues with that simple cut.
                      Like · Reply · 8 · 26 February at 19:39
                      sigpic Christine.

Comment

Holly, I have not used the Silhouette so cannot offer a comparison between the two machines but several sales personnel at my LQS have and even though owning the Silhouette purchased the Scan N Cut. You mentioned you want to print on fabric - this can be done on the Scan N Cut BUT with only one color pen it is not a multi-color printer.

I was just at my LQS yesterday and we discussed using freezer paper as a stabilizer. As another mention, just press onto the back of your fabric and place the fabric face-down with paper-side up on the standard mat. We also discussed spraying 505 on the mat and was cautioned against it because (1) it may create issues with the scanning and (2) may void out the machine warranty if issues arise. I was also told that using "baby wipes" will clean the mat of debris without removing the tackiness.

A Scan N Cut applique class was scheduled for this coming Monday but has been reschedule due to the predicted snow storm in our area. If anyone is interested in the information gathered from the class, I will be happy to share just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
                          I wonder if her supplier is just recommending the product they sell?

The scan n cut also takes a usb, so there is a way to get a design from a computer to the machine. Not a direct connection though.

The biggest difference besides the computer one, is the scan n cut allows you to scan your fabric and fussy cut, the silhouette does not.

From my experience so far, I would not recommend ANY machine like this for cutting things like squares or strips from yardage on a large scale.

You are limited to the width of the machine, so you have to cut your fabric to fit, then prepare it, (scan n cut has a fabric mat you add to their regular mat, and starching til cripsy really helps. The fabric mat only needs to be done once, then you can leave it on until it needs to be replaced. Silhouette says to fuse interfacing to the fabric first. You would not want your quilt blocks to have that much interfacing in it!). It is much easier and way more time efficient to just cut your yardage with a rotary cutter and ruler.

I got mine for applique. I did not want to have to take my pattern, scan it into my computer, then connect my cutter to my computer to get my designs. I wanted to be able to scan the patterns, many of them hand drawn, directly into my cutter.

Scanning the fabric to fussy cut has turned out to be my favorite feature! SO COOL!!!
                          Thank you for your input. I absolutely believe that the supplier was simply recommending the product that he sells - although that does not necessarliy mean that it was a bad product.

When I mentioned cutting quilt pieces, I was thinking in terms of the Bonnie Hunter quilts that I have worked on. I don't have a huge stash of yardage, so I generally end up working from fat quarters to get variety. If I buy the 12x24 mat I would only have to cut 6' off to cut shapes, especially triangles. reserving that section for strips. I would never use this machine to cut strips.

That fabric scanning capabilities sounds really cool!

I was 99% sure that I was going to buy the Brother. Now my daughter has expressed an interest in making paper flowers. When I told her about this machine she was very enthused. I'm going to the Lancaster AQS show in 2 weeks, and hope to see a demo there. Special show pricing would be even better, as I would like to come home with this new toy!

Comment

Thank you! I would definitely like to hear about your class. I hope that it is rescheduled soon!

Comment

the brother scan and cut is a bloody awesome machine ....

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                                I was just at my LQS yesterday and we discussed using freezer paper as a stabilizer. As another mention, just press onto the back of your fabric and place the fabric face-down with paper-side up on the standard mat. We also discussed spraying 505 on the mat and was cautioned against it because (1) it may create issues with the scanning and (2) may void out the machine warranty if issues arise. I was also told that using "baby wipes" will clean the mat of debris without removing the tackiness.

A Scan N Cut applique class was scheduled for this coming Monday but has been reschedule due to the predicted snow storm in our area. If anyone is interested in the information gathered from the class, I will be happy to share just let me know.

I would LOVE to know everything you find out!

I am definitely trying the freezer paper stabilizer, and since it is not permanent I am pressing it to the right side of the fabric, so I don't have to worry about reversing my patterns!

What an awesome idea!

So you do not need to use the fabric sheet with this? Good thing I got an extra mat, because I would rather cut the lawn with scissors than re-do that fabric sheet again!
                                Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                                X