Brother Scan and Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brother Scan and Cut

I have seen a bunch of Scan & Cut tutorials on a blog I follow, its mixed media though, not a quilting blog:

Balzer Designs: Scan N Cut

Looks like a cool machine, I don't have any kind of die cutter though so I can't say with experience.
    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

I have the Silhouette Cameo. Haven't tried fabric yet, but since most of the applique stuff I've done so far are those animal woodland scenes where you HAVE to cut the appliqued animal yourself. This is where a cutter that lets you scan in designs is more useful than traditional. I've used it for sketching, cutting stamps, and if they make a permanent lettering pen, it would be great.

I also have the Sizzix Big Mouth. Have not bought any dies as I haven't needed any.

Comment

Has anyone tried this machine yet? I just saw it advertised again and thought of this thread. Just curious if it does all it says and if it gives a nice clean cut.
        Cil
        A quilt is a blanket of love
        http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
        http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I think we are all curious, but so far no one has one. Several have the Silhouette machines. My sewing machine dealer has a Zing machine, I need to check that out also.

Comment

This has me very curious though. It's so hard for me to make a decision because so many people rave about the Accuquilt, yet, I know no one who has this particular item by Brother. I love Brother products too. We need a guinea pig!
            sigpicMISA
            I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
              I know a lot of you use the Accuquilt cutting systems. I've resisted so far. But have any of you seen or bought the Brother Scan and cut machine? My daughters use Cricut machines, one for papercraft and one for cake decorating. But when I saw this, I really got interested in acquiring one because you can draw a picture, scan it and then it cuts it out. It is designed for particularily cutting fabrics. No dies, no computer needed, it works as a stand alone cutter. It is a little mire than an Accuquilt, but by the time you add the dies, you are running the bill uo with every die set you buy.

Anybody have interest in this?

ScanNCut Exclusive TV Offer | Home & Hobby Cutting Machine with Built in Scanner
              I've seen a few videos on this and I'm interested in it but I'm going to have do some more research on it.
              TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I have no info to share, but I would be interested in hearing what you find out.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

oi Mrs! you are meant to be having a mental block!!
                  Blog
                  http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Am I understanding the T.V. advertisement? We would not need to buy any dye-cuts? It seems like we would actually save money in the long run.
                    sigpicMISA
                    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sew Perfect View Post
                      Am I understanding the T.V. advertisement? We would not need to buy any dye-cuts? It seems like we would actually save money in the long run.
                      There are no dies. It is like a Cricut paper cutter, but you don't need cartridges, you insert your pattern to be cut by scanning it in. The difference would be that you could cut a square space, not a long pattern like jelly roll strips. I know there are also machines called Silhouette and Zing that do similar cutting, but you design on a computer. The Scan and Cut is a stand alone machine.

Comment

I purchased the Scan N Cut last October or November. I love this machine!!! So far I have found this machine does everything it promises but IMHO if you are planning on cutting a large quantity of fabric block segments, purchase an AccuQuilt or the June Tailor Shape Cut Rulers.

There is a definite learning curve as far as blade settings. I purchased a feeler gauge to assist in the depth settings. I would also suggest having a supply of duck tape during the learning curve to repair the underside of the mats (I promise you, you will cut thru mats until you master the blade settings). Purchase extra mats.

Also, if you plan on scanning, I highly suggest purchasing the scanning mat. The scanner picks up everything! If you scan an hand-drawn document, use a fine-tipped Sharpie - do not draw the lines too heavy.

Learn the icons and procedures before using the machine.

The machine is such a useful tool for machine embroidery applique, re-sizing custom artwork, paper crafting, drawing designs onto background fabric for needle punch and needle crafts, fussy cutting fabric. Re-sizing is a biggie for me - love the feature.

I actually can go on-and-on with endless praises but, again, I would not purchase the machine for the sole purpose of cutting large quantities of quilt blocks.

Now with all of the above said, I purchased the machine to cut wool applique shapes and it works beautifully with their fusible backing but I ended up purchasing an AccuQuilt Go for cutting the wool pennies. Of course, one thing leads to another and purchased more dies for the Go. (I've discovered I'm just a salesman's dream! LOL)

I hope my comments help with your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Daisy View Post
                          oi Mrs! you are meant to be having a mental block!!
                          Have kept my wits about me so far, but the mental block is right there on the horizon!

Comment

I have one and its AMAZING!!!

As Snowbird mentioned, if you're wanting a machine to cut large numbers of large pieces, buy an accuquilt go (which I also use). They Are really different machines. Great advice Snowbird!

I'm using mine mostly for designing my own appliqu├ęs, which I can then resize and multiply to cover a whole piece of fabric to cut. Also I use it to scan my stitchery designs and print them on fabric to embroider. Cheaper than a bubble jet printer and specialty sheets.

Think hard what you want to use it for and decide which machine suits you better. I'm a designer so this is ME.

Cheers Pami

Comment

Finally used my scan n cut!

I did not try cutting paper. I first tested on muslin.

I starched it well, then stuck it to the mat with the fabric adhesive sheet on it.

To backup a bit- OH.MY.GAWD......getting that sticky fabric sheet onto the sticky mat SUCKED. That was NOT fun in any way and the whole scan n cut almost sailed out the window at one point. It has been a few weeks now since I did it, and I am still not over it.

OK. Back to the test on muslin. I followed the test directions, and successfully cut a BITTY little square out of the muslin. YAY!

I super starched a charm square of batik fabric, the fused Misty Fuse to the back of it, and stuck that to the mat with the sticky fabric sheet on it.

I scanned a bunch of applique shapes, was able to figure that out fairly easily, then cut them out.

I LOVE!!!!! being able to scan the fabric first, then choose where on it I want the pattern cut.

The Misty Fused fabric REALLY stuck to the mat. I had to scrape carefully to get the shapes out. I did have some fraying on a few pieces at first. I cut SMALL shapes, and did get the hang of the spatula removal after a while.

Next I tried letting the Misty Fuse really cool down before putting it on the mat. PERFECT cuts and came right off the mat with the scraper! The ability to scan in ANY shape, AND scan the fabric to fussy cut them out, is awesome!

It really does make cutting multiples a breeze, especially really small, tedious to cut shapes.

So far I have not cut my mat, I followed the recommended settings for fabric and it has worked well for me.

I do NOT recommend this for cutting things like strips or squares for a whole quilt. You only have a 12" x 12" area to work in, or you can get the longer mat that's 12"x24". Still, not the best way to cut fabric yardage!
                              Cathryn

Comment

Sounds cool, it is still on my wish list! Along with my Gammill with Statler Stitcher! Wonder which one I'll get first?

Comment

Working...
                                X