Comfort zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comfort zone

It's 4 degrees here and I'm working on a cozy flannel quilt. I just finished cutting 97 strips for a log cabin. It's my all-time favorite pattern...I think I could sew one in my sleep and I've made more log cabins than any other pattern over my 10 years of quilting. Where's your comfort zone? What pattern do you make over and over?
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Re: Comfort zone

I haven't made a log cabin...YET! Lol I think the only pattern I've made twice is a herringbone quilt. I made one for my nephew for his wedding and I made one for a customer. Other than that, I try to do something different each time. I like to step out of my comfort zone a lot. I'm trying to learn so much and the different quilts is helping me do that.
    It's -2 here with a wind chill of -11! I've been hibernating. Lol I hate the cold. That flannel blanket sounds really good right now. Enjoy and don't forget to post pics!
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Cil, we're practically next door neighbors! I'm in Attleboro.
      Michele

Comment

You guys be careful! I went to college in Massachusetts but haven't been back in a while. It's pretty cold here in KS also and supposed to get much colder. Brrrrrr!

I have only made two quilts and they were both variations on the D9P. I have also made four throw pillows with the D9P pattern. Um, I would say my comfort zone is definitely D9P!
        Last edited by ozziepuppy; January 3rd, 2014, 10:18 PM.

sigpic
        Marci

Comment

Here's an interesting perspective...come Monday,it will be 105 degrees warmer in California than it will be in Wisconsin! School has already been cancelled school for Monday, so I will do what I can on 3 projects I cut before my surgery. They are all patterns I haven't done before. The only 2 patterns I've ever repeated are the JRR and the Baby Life.

Quilter's Rules:
          #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
          #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
          #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Comment

Here in our corner of New England, when there's a snow storm coming the joke is that everyone goes out to buy milk and bread; nothing else. So yesterday at work when everyone was talking about the storm, going out to buy our bread and milk, yada, yada...I pipe in and say "forget about the bread and milk. I need to make sure I have enough fabric". Nobody else got it. As quilters, isn't that our first thought? It's ok, you can say it out loud!!
            Michele

Comment

Hi all,
              We left for TX on Thursday. The low was -47 degrees in Babbitt that morning. It was a little difficult loading up the camper with necessary supplies. My sewing machine and cutting board were put inside the pickup so they wouldn't break. We are ahead of all the bad weather that is coming. I can't wait for a little warmer weather. We'll be back for the last snows in April. Sewing is a little more challenging in the camper, but it works. My DH has promised a stop at Missouri Quilt Co. on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
                It's 4 degrees here and I'm working on a cozy flannel quilt. I just finished cutting 97 strips for a log cabin. It's my all-time favorite pattern...I think I could sew one in my sleep and I've made more log cabins than any other pattern over my 10 years of quilting. Where's your comfort zone? What pattern do you make over and over?
                I too ♥ log cabin. It was the first quilt pattern I learned. For a long time my comfort zone was straight lines- log cabin, irish chain, jelly roll type strip quilts, etc. but in an effort to learn new things and push myself, the wife and I have been working through the underground railroad sampler which has plenty of triangles, applique, and lots of other technique.
                Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

My favorite go to pattern for quick quilt gifts is the tumbler. I usually don't like to repeat patterns. I've done 2 tumbler quilts so far and each one looks so different depending on the fabric choice.
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Use to be a pattern called Five is Enough cranked those out one Christmas for family and friends. Then I did several Turning Twenty. My latest love has been the Falling Charms. It seems to be different each year I think I sew one pattern, as my go to all year and then I've had enough of it for awhile. When I find a pattern I like I will cut out several quilts and have them ready for when I just want to sit and sew and kinda enter a zone.
                    sigpicAnita G.

Comment

I was out yesterday, it was soooo cold here in Michigan. I actually had several things to do, and just cut the list in half, thinking I could do the rest of the list today.
                      I wanted to drop my sewing machine off at the shop to be cleaned & checked but decided against it. It's a Husqvarna Designer SE. I had several errands to do, and the machine would have sat in the car for 2-4 hours while I ran errands here and there, the sewing machine would have been dropped off last.
                      So, today, I am going to take my "baby" out to the shop first, and then do the other errands I didn't get a chance to do yesterday. While I will miss my machine while it's at the shop for the week, I do have my Kenmore I could use.
                      DH talked to me about getting another "new" machine ....so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. My Designer SE has all the bells and whistles...and I love it. I am wondering if I should get a machine for just quilting ? I have sewn for years, but never quilted.....
                      Well, I am going to go cut out some fabric for awhile, and then do the rest of my errands !
                      Have a great week-end everyone !
                      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Log cabin was my first quilt too. I used Eleanor Burns book and I was hooked! I believe it's the best pattern and the best book for a first quilt. As Jenny would say "so fast and so easy". So for any of you newbie quilters that are struggling, put down what you're doing and try a log cabin. I'd love to see your results. As for me, I think I'll check out the underground railroad.
                        Michele

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
                          Log cabin was my first quilt too. I used Eleanor Burns book and I was hooked! I believe it's the best pattern and the best book for a first quilt. As Jenny would say "so fast and so easy". So for any of you newbie quilters that are struggling, put down what you're doing and try a log cabin. I'd love to see your results. As for me, I think I'll check out the underground railroad.
                          I agree 100%. Especially for people who are somewhat new to running a sewing machine in addition to quilting because it give many hours of sitting behind the machine practicing 1/4" seams. I have a foot with a cheater guide now but the first 2 LC quilts I made were with a 1/4" foot without the guide.

While I was in TN for Christmas I convinced my S-i-L to purchase that book and some fabric to make a small quilt. I wanted her to do that book because (A) I also own it so I can offer phone support from MD, but (B) I think it is well written and pretty easy to understand. I just finished EB's Underground Railroad Sampler blocks (although they aren't assembled into the bed runner I'm making with them yet) and it was also a great book. I think I have a crush on E.B.. ♥♥♥
                          Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
                            My favorite go to pattern for quick quilt gifts is the tumbler. I usually don't like to repeat patterns. I've done 2 tumbler quilts so far and each one looks so different depending on the fabric choice.
                            I went to your flickr page and you do beautiful work!

sigpic
                            Marci

Comment

Working...
                            X