binding and fusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

binding and fusing

I just had a quick class on binding, learning both hand stitching and machine. I finally learned how to line things up for the mitered corners. But the coolest thing was showing us to use Steam a Seam II to fuse it down to the back instead of pinning. This allows you then to just either hand stitch it to the back or machine it with stitch in the ditch. The product comes in 1/4" rolls. Just put that down and ther you have it.

Another option was using fusible thread...which I had no clue existed. After sewing the binding to the front, you go back over the edges with this fusible thread with a zigzag stitch. Then fold the binding over and press. It sticks! Then hand or machine sew to finish it up. No pins!!

I'm sure many of you know of these tecniques and products, but thought I would share. My little sample piece had such nice binding corners!

Re: binding and fusing

That is a very neat idea! I am definitely giving it a try! Thanks
    To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
    Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

Hmmm isn't that interesting. I saw a video of a person using glue to glue down the binding and then ironing it. I wondered if that wouldn't gum up your needle. Don't know. The Steam a seam II sounds like a great idea! Thanks...
      Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I think the glue would gum it up but this Steam a Seam gives it a little body and no gumming. She put it on so fast, too. Just touch it lightly with the steam iron for a second...pull off the paper and your good to go.

Comment

I've wondered about the glue, too. You see it mentioned a lot. I like the steam a seam idea but I have trouble getting it to stick all the time. might have to hunt down the fusible thread and try it.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Fusible thread...sounds really cool and will have to look for it. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Well, guess I'll have to try experimenting this weekend. Thanks for the tips.
              Susan

Comment

I have been using thr glue method latelyk and it works really great. After sewing the binding on the front you then put little dots of glue on the back, finger press the binding down and then carefully press the binding with the tip of your iron. Ironing it is what keeps the glue from getting stiff. I think sharon schamber has a you tube video showing the process.

Comment

The tv show Sewing with Nancy just did a show with fusible thread. I too had no idea this existed, but it's a cool idea!

When I bind, I sew the binding on, then iron it over to the front side. If I used fusible thread, the binding would stick on the front, and I wouldn't have to pin or clip it before sewing it down. What a cool idea!

Comment

I have never heard of either of these products. I will have to do some research and try them out. Thanks for the info. Its always great to get new ideas.
                    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....:icon_razz:

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

Comment

I use this and it's awesome!

Amazon.com: Roxanne Glue Baste-It 2 oz.: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Utahquilter View Post
                        I have been using thr glue method latelyk and it works really great. After sewing the binding on the front you then put little dots of glue on the back, finger press the binding down and then carefully press the binding with the tip of your iron. Ironing it is what keeps the glue from getting stiff. I think sharon schamber has a you tube video showing the process.

I use use the glue method also...if it does get a little stiff, it all washes out
                        :icon_wave: Lynn

Comment

Working...
                        X