How to use fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use fabric

Had an early Christmas exchange with daughters/husbands and grandkids They said they were all having trouble trying to figure out what to get me for Christmas. They knew I loved quilting so decided they would all go pick out a fabric that best represented their likes or personality. They each bought a 1/2 yard of fabric and I'M suppose to make ME (something wrong with that picture) a quilt using the fabric they purchased so I will have a memory of each one of them. Oh my OCD!!!!! So I'm going to need help trying to figure out what pattern to use that will display the fabric. 6 of them are directional. I loved the idea and the thought behind the gift but need help with a pattern.
    image.jpg

Here's the fabric, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Gotta love those kids.
    ​Janet :)

Re: How to use fabric

Oh my!!! That is a great gift, but I have no clue!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Looks like an Ispy quilt. lol I think that is such a cute idea, but I will have to think on this one. It will be a good challenge!

How about a Dresden? You know how the petals are so different, but it always seems to work?
      Last edited by Hulamoon; December 15, 2013, 02:25 PM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am happy that they put some thought into your gift. They had to come up with and idea first and then all go shopping for fabric.

I spy would work and there are several different types of them. Or how about attic windows? Each window could be a different fabric and the window part would all be the same to help unify the look.
        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I'm going to make a lattice quilt with fabrics from different countries, but my colors all blend well. The blocks are also on point, which means you'd have to cut some of your fabrics in diamonds instead of squares.
          It's an option for you to think about though.
          Personally I think the dresden would be perfect for this. You could make half of them out of browns and the rest out of blues, or have a mix in each square.

Comment

If you have an embroidery machine you could embroidery the name of the person that picked out the fabric. Then make a quilt or table runner out of it.
            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Originally posted by Genny View Post
              If you have an embroidery machine you could embroidery the name of the person that picked out the fabric. Then make a quilt or table runner out of it.
              A table runner is a great idea and with the extra fabric you could make them the boxes!

I see the friendship braid in this too.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

This link if for D9P that makes it's own sashing and corner stones http://http://www.rileyblakedesigns....pple-blossoms/ This tells you how to do a D9P with directional fabrics http://http://blocksnswaps.blogspot....g-9-patch.html
                Sometimes you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. Dr. Seuss

Comment

I don't have a clue, either! But.... They are great fabrics....

Maybe Jenny's square in a square, using a 1.5in white border between the square and the outer border of each block.... You might be able to tie all the fabrics together that way...... Just a suggestion.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

What a thoughtful and personal gift. I think the attic window idea is great, reminds me of looking into the windows/lives of each family member.
                    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I can't think of a pattern right now but what about incorporating pictures of each family member in with the fabric they gave you.
                      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

What about the falling charms pattern with either white or a solid color fabric that works with each of the fabrics. You could also make it a 2-sided pieced quilt with half the fabrics that work together on one side and the other half of the fabrics on the other side.
                        Dawn
                        A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

What an ingenious gift for a quilter! What a memory keeper you will end up with. Sorry I have no pattern suggestions, but I just wanted to make a comment.

Comment

I'm a new convert to the pieced back. You could use these fabrics, cut into large squares, and piece them hodge-podge together into the back of a quilt. The front of the quilt could be anything you want, including these prints or not.

I also like the idea of a tablerunner, so you can see these fabrics often. What a lovely, thoughtful gift!
                            Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Scrappy, scrappy, scrappy!
                              It will be lovely!
                              I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                              It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Working...
                              X