Joining a Guild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining a Guild

I've decided to join our local quilt guild. Each month they do a specific block with one of the base materials provided; your provide the rest. You bring it in next month and they do a drawing to see who gets them all. Sounds fun - just picked up my block kit and materials and hope I can get it together before the meeting on Tuesday. I'll be away Fri eveining - Sun night and have a meeting on Thurs.

This month they are also getting back their "round robin" quilts. Each member provides a quilt center that gets passed around and each member adds a border. They will be seeing their finished quilt tops for the first time at the meeting. Cool!

What do your guilds do?
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Re: Joining a Guild

You Ladies are my guild group hugs!!
    Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
    hugs, Suzi
    http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
    it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun, Nancy! Enjoy! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you win the drawing!
      Originally posted by Loonwatcher View Post
      I've decided to join our local quilt guild. Each month they do a specific block with one of the base materials provided; your provide the rest. You bring it in next month and they do a drawing to see who gets them all. Sounds fun - just picked up my block kit and materials and hope I can get it together before the meeting on Tuesday. I'll be away Fri eveining - Sun night and have a meeting on Thurs.

This month they are also getting back their "round robin" quilts. Each member provides a quilt center that gets passed around and each member adds a border. They will be seeing their finished quilt tops for the first time at the meeting. Cool!

What do your guilds do?
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

This is more like a quilt guild to me as well. I work during the day and most of the guilds in my area meet during the day. Sounds like fun and hope you win the drawing.

Lynne

Comment

I'm thinking about joining the Red Rose Quilt Guild in Lancaster but haven't decided yet for sure. It's kind of hard in the spring/summer the way I work but it's something I may do later in the summer.
          Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
          "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

This one meets Tuesdays evenings so, even though I'm gone every weekend in summer, I can still make it.

Here's my first block....kinda wonky...but the lady tells me it's a very forgiving group.
            ;)Nancy

Comment

Very nice. At first I questioned the larger blocks at the edges and then I realized, duh . ... the seam. Sometimes, I'm just so blonde. But I use age as the excuse. LOL!
              Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
              "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

Originally posted by llm161 View Post
                Very nice. At first I questioned the larger blocks at the edges and then I realized, duh . ... the seam. Sometimes, I'm just so blonde. But I use age as the excuse. LOL!
                LOL! My son said the same thing until I explained about the seams. But, unfortunately, there's plenty of unevenness throughout the block. If I have time (unlikely) before Tuesday I'm going to rip some of it out and do over.
                ;)Nancy

Comment

I belong to a quilt guild and it is a blast. Learn something new every month. Sometimes from the program, other times from members. It is nice to be with people who have the same interest. Hope you report back that you had a wonderful time at your meeting. (Your colors are wonderful in your block.)

Comment

I belong to two guilds, one is only 50 members and the second one has 300. I like the smaller guild because you get to know everyone and they you. We do block of the month, project of the month, mystery quilt one year and round robin the other year, we do a challenge, we have a library full of quilt books you can borrow, we do charity sewing (placemats for meals on wheels, lap quilts for seniors in wheel chairs, preemie quilts for our neo-natal unit. etc.) We have draws for quilt related items and a 50/50 draw, We have guest speakers and trunk shows and put on a quilt show every two years. This year we did a nine patch exchange too. The larger group also organizes bus tours to big events and they can bring in well known speakers like this year they had Patrick Lose. It is really a great way to meet fellow quilters and share ideas.

Comment

I joined one right after Thanksgiving last year. We have 2 charities that we make things for. One is baby quilts for a home for unwed moms and the other is "Pit Pillows" for breast cancer patients. They also have seminars on various techniques. And they go on field trips to local shows, etc. I love it.
                      Suzette

Comment

Have fun Nancy. I like your block, too. If you rip it apart just starch the snot out of it until it is board stiff. It's amazing how many little stitching sins a good starching can hide.
                        Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                        X