My depressing sewing area...UGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My depressing sewing area...UGH!

I had fixed up an not too bad sewing area in the unfinished basement. At least it had a nice big table (my son's desk in storage...too bad kiddo, I've adopted it) for cutting and piecing, a small table for my sewing machine and room for my ironing board. Around the corner is our fitness/XBox area so there's a TV. Wasn't too bad for a basement. The my DH started staining some woodwork, we bought fixtures for a bathroom reno and all of a sudden the place is a dump. Too depressing to spend more than a couple hours at a time. I'm bummed! I hate to take over the dining room (since it's part of a great room) but I may have to.
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Re: My depressing sewing area...UGH!

It's a nice area. But I understand how you feel. Until I got my studio it was a pain trying to quilt in a family area. Hang in there.
    Suzette

Comment

Just keep those amazing sewing projects in mind - this too shall pass and your sewing space will be amazing!!

Comment

I'd ask the DH to take his painted trim and frame in a specific area for you, pain the concrete and hang some ceiling tiles. I'd bring in my radio, set it on my favorite station and crank up the volume . . . and then I'd sew away!!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

If it gets really necessary, hang up some fabric on the walls or shower curtins for color and pretend you've got a beautiful, graceful area for your personal use only. Oh yeah, don't forget the radio and a bright light.
          Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
          "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

Lights, music and some color and your sewing area would cheer you right up!!
            Love the hanging shower curtains idea...paint a rug on the cement floor, add a quilted wall hanging and you'd have yourself a wonderful little sewing space!!

I'm jealous!! I'd love to have that much open space to call my very own...even if I did have to look at some stained boards for awhile!!
            ~Mary
            As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. Here while back I got to looking at "MY" sewing room and decided it had become a dumping ground for everybody else so I got busy and insisted I would take back "MY" room. When it was all said and done my DH made about 6 trips to the garage(3 bay I might add... way bigger than my room) taking stuff where it should have landed to begin with. After I got it cleaned out and straightened up I posted pictures. I would have been embarrassed to show yall what it did look like. I only like it messy now if I make the mess. Hang in there girl!!!

Comment

I agree - hang shower curtains or go to the local goodwill and buy some colorful sheets (that's what I did). It will give you the privacy and cheer you need until you get your room renovated!

Comment

you guys are just awesome.
                  I smiled as I read how you all jumped onboard with your very creative and heart felt suggestions.

No wonder MSQC just rocks!!!!
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                  (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Mia Ithink your space is great. I Live
                    in 2bedroom unit /apartment and I sew on my coffee table........
                    "DO NOT CRITICIZE UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN MY SHOES."
                    :icon_heh::icon_wave::

Comment

Some really great suggestions to make it a happier place to work. What would be really cool is to make some pvc standing frames and enclose the whole sewing area with beautiful quilt tops you make and hang on the frames. Wow, I could really get rid of lots of stash fabric with that idea. I also like Linda's idea of buying pretty fabric shower curtains to hang up. (It might be more economical to buy yardage and make your own.) Gosh, how nice to have so much space. I like all of these ideas - painting the floor, adding light, music. I'd probably put down a rug just to soften things a bit. Not practical for a sewing room but I like a rug. How about a small TV or lap top so you could watch a movie while you're sewing?
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I agree with all the ideas above; a laptop wouldn't be too bad. Take a day of from sewing/quilting. Get on the laptop, draw your new sewing room on it, adjust all you want to have in your sewing room on the PC. That way you save time and energy. Then you can add colour to everything; wall, floor etx. You'll be amazed how much fun you'll have in your "playroom".
                        I'll keep my fingers crossed and wish you a lot of succes.

Michèle
                        sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

looks great to me. if we had a basement there is no way my hubby would let me take it over. that would be his. we are down to one child left at home so I have taken the spare bedroom for sewing and i love it
                          Patrice

Comment

I think once you have tweaked this area, it will be great, I'm very envious, I sew in my kitchen/ Diner which is a pain. If I had'nt of bought my husband a playstation 3 for christmas I would'nt get any peace to sew.

Comment

Good Morning Nancy
                              You don't want to see my sewing area in the basement. Ours is not finished off either. I always think that when we get the extra money - cough - er, hahaha, yeah right - I will get it finished off. But until then, I have painted the cinderblock walls with white waterproofing and accumulated so much junk that it is shameful. Sis has agreed to get mine organized. When, I don't know. But we are in the "envisioning" stage. I do have a tv downstairs - with cable! Can't be without some good music or flicks in the background.
                              Sewing mends the soul.
                              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                              X