FMQ--Stopping and Startinng?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ--Stopping and Startinng?

I am gradually working my way up to stippling a full size quilt on my Singer 15-91. I did a baby quilt yesterday and I'm getting a little better with the stitching, the problem is right about the time I get a good rhythm going, I have to stop and rearrange the quilt. My machine is in a table. When I started quilting yesterday, I felt like the excess was falling off the back of the table, so I pushed it against the wall. then it bunched up on me. I feel like I need another table in the back of the machine. If I'm having this much trouble with a baby quilt, I cannot imagine a full/queen quilt. Does anyone else have an extra table in the back of their machine or anyother creative solution to this problem?
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: FMQ--Stopping and Startinng?

I just finished a full size quilt and I know what you mean about it falling off the machine table. I had my hubby put together another table"from an old door" that I put behind my machine table and up against the wall. I worked out pretty good. Still had to rearrange the bunching when I got to the front end though. Good Luck.

Comment

Yeah I used to get a folding table behind my Singer 201-2 to hold the quilt up so it didn't pull away from the machine as I was FMQ. Can definitely be frustrating. Keep practicing!
      Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
      Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
      Pinterest

Comment

I am so jealous. I want to do FMQ and just not having any good results.
        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
        Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
        (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I'm still too scared to even try it!
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

A folding table behind the machine table is definitely a good way to go, that's what I have. the bonus is that when you are not doing a FMQ project you can take it away and store it...of course that was the plan but mine seems to accumulated a pile or two of 'stuff'.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I found one at Target for 30 bucks. It's 20"x48", I think that might work out just fine.
              Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

jrchapman and Mia--Don't be scared to FMQ--it's very forgiving--once you've quilted the entire top, it's almost impossible to find your goof ups.
                Lisa

Comment

I'm still with Jill on this one. I have no confidence!! I have a hard time piecing correctly, let alone FMQ. I'm still working on hand quilting! lol
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Thanks Lisa........ your confidence is appreciated. truly .....
                    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                    Mia

Comment

To all the FMQ virgins
                      I am a newbie too, and first tried it on a practice quilt sandwich. I watched some You Tubes and figured I could do it too - but I was nervous too! It did feel a little strange, but I jumped in and did a table runner. I just slowed the machine down and meandered around. I tried not to overlap, but a few times I did. I did end up ripping out some since my backing bunched up, but after that it was smooth sailing. Just try it! Make some practice quilt sandwiches (I used hubby's old shirt) and practiced on it.

I haven't done anything else yet, but will soon. The table runner looked great and after I washed it, it looked even better! I was hard to see my flub-ups.

I also use a table behind and beside my sewing machine - so far so good.
                      Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

I've only started FMQ after a lot of practicing. i still didn't care fo my practice pieces but finally decided to go for it. glad i did! It really does get better when you take a deep breathe and jump right in. I could see abig difference in my first and latest. Still not great, but I improve each time. My biggest issue is I tend to hunch up my shoulders and get tense. Next time I'm going to drop the height of my table and see if it helps keep my shoulders down.
                        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Those of you who do FMQ..... do you have a stitch regulator on your machine and do you think it is absolutely necessary?
                          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                          Mia

Comment

I'd like to know this too, maybe this is my problem.
                            To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
                            Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

I, like a lot of you, have wanted to tackle a full/queen quilt and have yet to take the plunge. I've done a couple of baby quilts, but like bakermom my shoulders get tense and hurt like the dickens...but will keep trying. I really find it hard to maneuver the quilt around, especially when it all gets bunched up in the "neck" of my machine. I am currently hand quilting a queen sized quilt and I get bored with it. I love to piece them, but the handquilting gets old! Maybe, since finding this site and knowing there are experts on here that can answer questions, I won't be so reluctant to try again.

Pat (Mimi)
                              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X