Buying Fabric Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Fabric Online

Can the wonderful women who order fabric (yardage) online, please share their experiences? I have been ordering a good amount online. To be honest, haven't really paid much attention to whether or not I was getting the amount I ordered. . . my bad I guess. Sometimes I order stuff without a specific project in mind. I have only been quilting since May so I am building my stash Anyway, I dipped into a recent order from a shop (definitely NOT M*!!) and EVERY piece was short! I ordered 10 different 1 yard cuts - each was two inches short (and not from crooked cutting, ends were pretty straight but 2 inches short and I don't pre-wash) and I had ordered a 5 yard piece and it was 5 inches short! I went back to another rather large order from the same place and every piece was short

Do you measure your fabric when you get it? Do you just assume (as I always have) that you are getting what you ordered? Have you notified the online shop if you were shorted?

I did send an email today. I am interested to see the response. I was curious to see if this is common place with other online shops that you ladies have used - I have ordered a good amount from M* and I ALWAYS get more than what I ordered. I don't expect that - but I do appreciate it!!! Thank you M* for being AWESOME!
    Murphy :icon_wave:

www.quiltparadigm.blogspot.com

Quilting forever, housework - whenever!

Re: Buying Fabric Online

Yikes, never had that problem that I KNOW of. I did find that another company actually gave me 40" for a yard - that was nice. I know it wasn't a mistake, because, I accidentally double clicked the submit button and got two identical orders. I decided it would cost to much to return, so kept them both. When I then decided to make the quilt larger and measured the two pieces, they were 40" - so I checked to see how much I had ordered and it was a yard.

Be sure and let us know what the say....
    Donna

Comment

I order from M* for pre-cuts and coordinating yardage.

Thousandsofbolts.com for yardage at amazing prices and the shipping is wonderful and I have never had a problem and they sell the same top brands they do at M* and Local shops.

I also order form marshalldrygoods.com

I have never had a problem being shorted from any of those 3.

I do measure it occasionally when I get it because I am just curious sometimes.
      Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I know Fabric.com says they give a 37" yard, and they do or even a bit more. I've not noticed any short yards from other places I've ordered from, but then I don't measure everything, but I would have noticed if I didn't have enough fabric because a lot of the time I don't order much extra.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I order from a variety of places online. I have never had that problem. In my experience most online shops give you an extra inch or 2
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I also order from Thousandsofbolts.com and connecttheblocks.com - have never been shorted by either. I would most definitely let them know and depending on their response, go from there.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've ordered from fabric.com, Fabric Depot, M*, Thousands of Bolts, and Bear Paw Quilt Co and haven't been slighted by either of them. I haven't ordered individual yards from Bear Paw though so can't comment on that, but so far so good!
              *Dee*
              Believe
              There Is
              Good In The World

Comment

Hey Dee, how are the orders from Fabric Depot now? I've not ordered from them since I had to replace my credit card twice last Christmas. Used to love some of their stuff, but got sort of leery of them after that.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

I'm w/you there on Fabric Depot! I have not ordered online w/them since that happened. I have, however, gone to their store and had no problem. They are the nicest people for such a big store, and more than helpful when you have questions!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                    I also order from Thousandsofbolts.com and connecttheblocks.com - have never been shorted by either. I would most definitely let them know and depending on their response, go from there.
                    Just checked those sites out...pretty decent pricing!
                    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I've ordered from many online shops and have never had any problem. They have been measured correctly or have given me an inch or two more. Any correspondence that I've had with them have been very positive. The last one even sent me a Thank You card with several lines of handwriting in it. All, well...almost all, have gotten the orders out the next day and I received the orders within 3-5 days even when they are clear across the country. Guess I've been lucky.

Sorry you came up short. Hope you can get more if you need it.
                      Bec

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                        Hey Dee, how are the orders from Fabric Depot now? I've not ordered from them since I had to replace my credit card twice last Christmas. Used to love some of their stuff, but got sort of leery of them after that.
                        I placed my last order in April-ish? Just after the whole card fiasco because I wanted to take advantage of the discount and the free FQ's lol It was great! I had to call in my card number though, not sure if they have that fixed up since then. But no stolen card info since! In situations like that, at first I'm a little iffy on ordering again too. But then I think that getting burned like that has got to be hard on their reputation, so now they're going to go above and beyond to make sure they don't have to take another hit like that. Maybe now they're the safest store to order from lol
                        *Dee*
                        Believe
                        There Is
                        Good In The World

Comment

I have only bought a few times onlne.... my problem being.. the colors. What is shown on the PC monitor is not necessarily the color you get. Many times the site will say something like "colors on screen are not always matching to actual color" or something like that. I ordered some cherry red fabric from Connecting Threads. I wanted just that..cherry red as it showed in the image. I got an orangish red. I contacted them and they said that colors don't always match and sent me (at no charge) another shade of red...tomato red I think it was. Well...it was more of a red, but not the "cherry red" I wanted... cherries are a dark red but not quite maroon. I appreciate their effort and I still purchase from them, but on solids, I won't buy on line because of this. Plus often, they are $10 a yard.. I can't afford that. I have to use the coupons at Joann's for 50% off or I can't sew! But I will splurge sometimes for a particular print or pattern. But.. i never thought about measuring it to make sure it is a yard... I'l have to remember to do that next time.
                          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Fabric.com has always given me at least one inch extra. Connecting Threads has been on the mark or a little over on my yardage.
                            Be who you are and say what you feel
                            because those who mind don't matter,
                            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Never even occurred to me to check! My bad, I'll have to pay attention, but I do purchase from most of the places noted above. Curious, who did you buy your yardage from?

Comment

Working...
                              X