Male Quilters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Male Quilters?

Do you know any guys who quilt? My BF thinks it's fascinating , but alot of work. He did make one of those tied fleece blankets when his DGS was born, with my help of course!
    Does your significant other show an interest in your quilting or do you know any men who quilt?
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Re: Male Quilters?

My husband is very happy to see me enjoy my new found interest, but he will never, ever, be interested himself. I did tell him that I will teach him to cook when he retires. Cooking is a skill that I think all men should learn! We shall see.

Comment

Patti, Ricky Tims is a famous male quilter. He presents at lots of the major quilt shows, has won tons of awards, has his own quilting DVDs etc. You can check out his website here:

http://www.rickytims.com/quiltgaller...llery-1996-now
      Linda
      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

There is a wonderful man in our quilting guild: http://3dogdesignco.blogspot.com/
        He has a quilt in a traveling show now. I am in awe of his work. At our last meeting he did a trunk show and I was blown away.

My husband who does fantastic woodworking (furniture, boxes, etc.), bought me a digitizing program when I bought my embroidery machine. I must admit that this is something I had absolutely NO desire to pursue and he knows this (now). So he's been learning to digitize and has been to my sewing room to sew out (embroidery) several of his designs. I don't think I'll get him involved in quilting though he has built my quilting frame and is eager to help me attach quilts for hand quilting, and shows enthusiasm when I share my work with him.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

i keep telling my hubby her would be good at this. he is a very good wood worker. I think he would be good with a longarm
          Patrice

Comment

My DH does not quilt and never will. He can sew - halloween costumes! He only does those when there is prize money involved and he is feeling energetic. The last one was Elmo and Cookie Monster costumes that junked up the machine with all the fuzz resulting in a pricey cleaning. I told him the bottle of Vodka he won did not make up for the cost of the cleaning!

Comment

If he shows an interest - I would definately let him. There are lots of male quilters out there. And they are pretty good too!
              Mine doesn't but at least he does oooh and aaaah when I whip out my finished ones for him to admire. He doesn't have a choice really.

Hugs,
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

EagleFeather from Indiana is a male quilter that uses this forum. He has had several posts here.
                I think guys are naturally drawn to the strong graphic patterns of the traditional quilt blocks.
                My husband has been contemplating which design he wants to put into our next tile flooring project. He found a beautiful star medallion he is thinking about for the front entry space. I think I can get him to incorporate some designs into the decking out front when we finally replace that thing too. The composite decking comes in several shades, so he can have some fun with that.
                I don't think I'll ever see him sit and piece at the machine though.
                Mine also makes gracious comments about the quilts I finish. He wants me to start working on the one for our new bed though.
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Yes, I make quilts. I am also a male. I make my quilts for people who are on chemo. So far I have made three quilts,( twin size) but I have only been making them since April 2014. Thanks for asking

Comment

I believe there several male members of this board who quilt. And my best friend, who is male, also quilts.

Comment

Glad to see GlegB pipe in, we can't forget Ryan and Bob. There are also several other forum male quilters but I don't think they post as often as we gals do but they are out there. The 2 men who are part of My Circle of Quilters group both make several big quilts a year. They both like the mathematics of quilting and most of the blocks they make are complicated with many pieces.

My DH also does a lot of woodworking projects but the only time he touches a sewing machine is when I ask him to pick it up for me. He does help me by holding up new quilts so I can take a photo of them.
                      Last edited by MayinJerset; February 1, 2015, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                        There is a wonderful man in our quilting guild: 3 Dog Design Company
                        He has a quilt in a traveling show now. I am in awe of his work. At our last meeting he did a trunk show and I was blown away.

My husband who does fantastic woodworking (furniture, boxes, etc.), bought me a digitizing program when I bought my embroidery machine. I must admit that this is something I had absolutely NO desire to pursue and he knows this (now). So he's been learning to digitize and has been to my sewing room to sew out (embroidery) several of his designs. I don't think I'll get him involved in quilting though he has built my quilting frame and is eager to help me attach quilts for hand quilting, and shows enthusiasm when I share my work with him.
                        Sandy Navas - perhaps an update?
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                          I don't think I'll get him involved in quilting though he has built my quilting frame and is eager to help me attach quilts for hand quilting, and shows enthusiasm when I share my work with him.
                          He did a 180, didn't he LOL
                          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I was just rereading - maybe this will suffice to show that there is another male quilter out there.

Binding on finished miter SMALL.jpg
                            Purples_on-deck_small.jpg
                            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I was thinking the same thing! I even checked the date when Sandy posted that.
                              Oh my - that is gorgeous! Tell Al I said so!
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Working...
                              X