I don't have to be perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have to be perfect

I've had an epiphany. My quilt blocks don't have to be perfect. I am a beginning quilter and one of the things I'm struggling with is non-perfect blocks. I have been looking at quilts on several blogs of quilters I admire. After looking closely I can see all their blocks aren't perfect either. I hope with time my blocks will be "almost perfect" but if they're not I'm not going to stress about it. I feel so much better. ;-)

Linda

Re: I don't have to be perfect

Good for you! You're absolutely right! No quilting police, as we like to say.
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Way to go Linda! It is so true! I gave up perfection a long time ago! Years ago I used to quilt with a group of ladies whose average age was about 75. They shared with me that it was considered a sin to make a perfect quilt as they thought that only God could create something perfect. That sure was a relief to me. Now I just quilt for fun!
      Patti
      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

There are no mistakes or imperfections in quilting. Everything you do is a DESIGN FEATURE!!!!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Im right with you. you would be surprised at what you see but others don't. Before I sew my blocks together I square them all up so they are all the same size. This has been wonderful for me. of course 8 inch blocks might become 7 1/2..lol
          Patrice

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
            There are no mistakes or imperfections in quilting. Everything you do is a DESIGN FEATURE!!!!
            That is SO well put!! LOL Hugs!
            Fabric purchases require no justification!
            A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

I am so glad you realized this. It was hard for me when I started quilting about 4 years ago to get over something not being perfect. I have sewn since I was around 8 or 9 years old. Enjoy. And don't worry about the quilt police.
              Suzette

Comment

The Amish ladies purposefully add a "humble block" (a block with an intentional mistake) into their quilts because they also believe that only God can create something perfect.

I add quite a few humble blocks to my quilts!!
                ~Mary
                As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Linda..... you're right. There isn't much perfection in my work but I am hoping to get better..... hoping!!!

Patrice .... I am so with you on that. I learned the hard way ... that seam consistency is much more important than the scant quarter inch. The blocks work if they are the same size....even if we have to shave them down a little bit lol.

Makes me smile to know I'm not alone.

Happy St Paddy's day to you all.
                  Hugs
                  Mia
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                  (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Marianne Fons said on one of her shows that her quilt wasn't perfect but there were some perfect spots. If she doesn't achieve perfection all the time what am I worried about???

Comment

My quilts are far from perfect but I feel like this, each one is an original, there is not another one like it in the world. A very good friend of mine told me that.
                      Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                        My quilts are far from perfect but I feel like this, each one is an original, there is not another one like it in the world. A very good friend of mine told me that.
                        I agree with you 100%. And that does not only apply to quilts, but to every project that you realize. As long as you have fun doing them.
                        sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Originally posted by lsb142 View Post
                          I've had an epiphany. My quilt blocks don't have to be perfect. I am a beginning quilter and one of the things I'm struggling with is non-perfect blocks. I have been looking at quilts on several blogs of quilters I admire. After looking closely I can see all their blocks aren't perfect either. I hope with time my blocks will be "almost perfect" but if they're not I'm not going to stress about it. I feel so much better. ;-)

Linda

GOOD FOR YOU! I was doing "wonky" before I knew it was stylish. And anyone who has ever received a block from me knows that what I lack in perfection I make up for in enthusiasm.
                          Personally, I don't like perfect. I appreciate it, feel discouraged by it most of the time. I like pretty. I like heart felt. If I wanted perfection I would purchase from the Amish or factory-made at a large chain store. And even those have some glaring imperfections to my eyes.
                          I have never had anyone I have given a quilted item to say, Oh, it looks crooked. they usually say, Oh, I can't imagine the time you took on this.
                          Stick with it, you're over half way there once you realize that perfection was perfected when God created this world. Sad that folks have been trying to improve on that one forever!
                          Sewing mends the soul.
                          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by mrswindy4 View Post
                            The Amish ladies purposefully add a "humble block" (a block with an intentional mistake) into their quilts because they also believe that only God can create something perfect.

Oh me too!

Comment

Originally posted by mrswindy4 View Post

I think my quilts are made mostly from these humble blocks! I'm not going to sweat it though. I'm getting better as time goes by, as I learn better techniques, get better tools, and practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Working...
                              X