Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you get into the random mode for a LO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you get into the random mode for a LO?

I confess that I am so bad at making my quilts look charmingly spur of the moment,
    - my eyes have a very bad tendency to spot patterns....

Today I feel I managed better than usual but of course I have a long way to go...

I always take a picture of the planned quilt - and then I mess up/change my mind.
    Here is what I did today: had to try out the charm pack table runner tut
    but of course had no pack so rummaged through my remnants and cut away..

Sadly discovered that I didn't have enough of neither batting nor backing fabric,
    - so another UFO... But will finish it this weekend - promise!

Any tip for this newbie how YOU conquered patternmania?

Hugs from Eva Mari

PS: Only made 4 rows of 5.
    Last edited by Emmari; March 14, 2011, 12:00 PM.
    Fabric purchases require no justification!
    A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Re: How did you get into the random mode for a LO?

Well I think it looks great! The beauty of this craft is that iit is whatever you want it to be - if it pleases you go with it, especially when we are new and just learning! Hope you get your backing and batting and move it out of the UFO pile!

Comment

I think it looks great too.. such a fun pattern for a table runner. I spend so much time moving fabrics around.. trying to get them just right. Hopefully that will get easier with more experience. be proud of your accomplishments and what you finish.

Comment

I think you did great - three! Look random to me and I think all those colors look terrific together - you used up some stuff in your stash and didn't have to spend any extra money. I think doing things 'spur of the moment' ends up in how new patterns or colors together are created for all to see. Keep on showing us your beauties - it keeps the rest of us going.

Hugs,
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I don't have any advice other than to enjoy your time playing around. I spend hours swapping my blocks around until I'm happy, when you get it right you'll know. When it comes down to it, if it feels right when you look at it who cares if there are patterns or not!

I think your runners look like they'll be gorgeous x
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, ladies. This forum is really uncommonly warm and enthusiastic. Loving it!

Hugs from Eva Mari
            A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

I think it looks great Eva.... I really like it !

Kelley

Comment

I love your pattern here! A hint I heard along time ago it to squint when looking at your set up to see if anything stands out that you don't like. I know what you mean, I am constantly moving squares or blocks around until I am pleased.
                Have fun!
                Patti
                "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Thank you so much, ladies! Hugs!
                  I read somewhere that "...value does all the work and color gets all the credit...", so the squinting tip is really good, - and one more is to do this somewhere not too light: the old "All cats are grey at night..." = easier to see past the color(s) and really see the values.

Comment

The only advice I have is to try a charm pack (at least once...don't not use your stash) The reason I say that is because some (most) lines of fabric have patterns or colors we would never pick ourselves. Sometimes it's good to force ourselves to add something that might not be our favorite. It is amazing how it can turn out. Just a thought.
                    However, I think your table runner turned out gorgeous! I love the combination and think you will love it even more when it's quilted!!

Comment

Thank you so much, sewhot! What a great screen name! LOL
                      And I will def try this with a charm pack, - as you say it will do most of us good to be forced to think outside the box/comfort zone!

Hugs from Eva Mari

Comment

Working...
                      X