Do You Keep a Quilting Journal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Keep a Quilting Journal?

I don't have an official quilting journal yet but I do have a ring binder where I have been keeping my notes & info about my projects. Right now they are just stuffed in a pocket folder so I do lose them. But I feel like it's time for me to get more organized & serious about keeping a history record of the quilts I make. While surfing the net to find ideas of what type of info to include.......I found this link. There are some great ideas listed...things I would not have thought to include.

Shadywood Quilts; Professional Longarm Quilting Machine Quilt Finishing

A few other ideas that I found or thought of are..........

What was inspiration for the quilt.....

What type of sewing machine was used.........

Pictures of progress

Any special threads or machine setting used......

Things you learned on this project.....

How you felt while on this project........any problems....

So do any of you keep a quilting journal or record.......if so what other info would you include?

By the way.........I have pictures & cards or notes that I have received from forum friends too........I think those will be included in my journal.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Re: Do You Keep a Quilting Journal?

Um, no, I don't, because that would require me to be organized! I just make them and am lucky to remember to take pictures.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

If a journal consists of ideas saved to Favorites of tutorials (ridiculously LONG), and commenting on posts to earmark a project AND Pininterest, that's a journal. Right?
      There surely is a more efficient way of doing it, I'm sure. I just don't know about how...
      I really need to get off the exclamation point.
      It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

nope nope and nope
        sigpic
        Hugs Ann

Comment

Originally posted by New York Sue View Post
          If a journal consists of ideas saved to Favorites of tutorials (ridiculously LONG), and commenting on posts to earmark a project AND Pininterest, that's a journal. Right?
          There surely is a more efficient way of doing it, I'm sure. I just don't know about how...
          Hey Sue.........I think that would be journal-ish!
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

my blog is my journal of sorts. I never really thought about keeping a paper one though. I also have a folder on my desktop (electronic) of all the quilt patterns that I want to make. I should live to about 100 or so at this rate...
            Kathy Crofoot
            http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

Comment

I have one that I bought from amazon a few years ago. I have put pictures of my quilts in it but haven't taken the time to write down anything about the quilts. That's something that I should make time to do.
              Gayle

Comment

This is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time but just haven't taken the time. I have pictures of all the quilts I have made and I know who I gave them to but I wish I had more info, like the fabric line I used or (since I started doing my own quilting) what thread I used, tension, what kind of batting, etc. I really need to start doing this. I consider myself to be very organized but this is one area where I'm not very organized.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyCrofoot View Post
                  my blog is my journal of sorts. I never really thought about keeping a paper one though. I also have a folder on my desktop (electronic) of all the quilt patterns that I want to make. I should live to about 100 or so at this rate...
                  Kathy........I do that to.........a folder on the desktop.....full of ideals I want to try! I need to live to about 150 years old!

Roxanne.......I think thread & machine setting info could be useful if you need to refer back to make a similar quilt.......I guess it isn't overly important as for as historical record but there have been times when I couldn't remember something small about a previous project & I wished I had written it down.

Comment

I have kept a journal for about 5 years now. Each month I take photos and record the items in my journal. Some months there might be only 1 item and others several. All of my projects go into the journal no matter what their size. I have quilt projects of all kinds from wall hangings to bed quilts. Each one has a small discription of the project along with the photo.
                    It is always nice to look back and see what I have made in the past and get inspired for future projects.

Comment

I have a desktop folder for photo's and a list of the name of the quilt, when made and pretty much that is all. I love the idea of telling what inspired it, what fabric, who it is for etc.

Someday I will become more organized. Recently someone commented that they get an 8 x 10 print of their quilt for an album. That I think is a brilliant idea to go along with the rest of the info in a little paragraph or two.
                      Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingtrish
                        The only journal I keep is a photo album with a photo of about 90% of the quilts, other projects, etc I've made. I can't see a use for me knowing in the future (or anyone else for that matter) what kind of thread I used, fabric line, etc ( no offense Roxanne - I think it's all a personal choice). I guess other than my photo album - I just don't have the desire to keep more than that.

Hugs,
                        No offense taken My reason for wanting to keep track of thread, tension, etc. would be if I am looking at a quilt I made a couple years ago and liking the effect of the thread that I used, I might want to know what it was so I could use it again. Also, recently I found some scraps from a quilt I made several years ago and I love the fabric but can't remember what the line was called. Chances are I would never find it again, but if I had the name I could do a search on ebay. But I am happy that I at least have photos and know where all my quilts ended up.

Comment

I have 3 folders on my desktop, one for all things i find i want to do whether its a picture, or full directions, one for things I want to make soon, and one for things i want to make immeadiately. I save all directions from the classes I teach and they are in 3 big zippered binders in clear page protectors
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                            Um, no, I don't, because that would require me to be organized! I just make them and am lucky to remember to take pictures.
                            Same here.
                            Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                            Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

My blog is my journal -- in terms of what I was thinking and who the quilt is for. But I LOVE the idea of a journal where I record fabric samples, sewing notes, photographs, and other details of importance. Thank you for the idea!
                              Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X