• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shirley
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2010

Need your advice

Hi Everyone!
    My husband makes quilt racks for me to hang my wall hangings and quilts on. He was thinking of making some to sell but didn't know whether anyone would be interested enough to buy one. If you saw these in your LQS or at a quilt show would you buy one? I realize the price has alot to do with it, but if it was reasonably priced. We were just curious what quilters would think. I will attach a picture and you can tell me what you think. Thanks ladies!
    Attached Files
    Shirley :icon_bigsmile:
  • ginampls
    The Guild President
    • Sep 2009

Re: Need your advice

i think it looks awesome... join or call the local quilt guild in your area... find out from the guild if there is someone who sells them..if there is a a need they would let you know.... or could sell them at a church bazarrs too. craft shows.. i say just make 5 or six... go quilt shop see if you could use them on their walls... and take orders.

i like the shelf to it as well.
    all the best
    Gina

Comment

• mrswindy4
      The Guild President
      • Dec 2009

That would look real nice on my wall! If the price was reasonable enough, I would buy one from a craft show.

Love the sunflower wall hanging as well!!!
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2010

Shirley, I would buy one if, 1) my hubby wasn't a woodworker, 2) I even had wall space available, and 3) the economy wasn't so terrible right now.

DH and I both do woodworking and have a booth at an antique/craft mall - surprisingly, even though DH does meticulous and absolutely fantastic, original work, things just don't sell like you would hope. We are signed up for a craft show in May - it will be our first. DH built me a fantastic quilting frame complete with gears, bars, etc., better than I had ever seen before - but doubt he will ever sell any . . . though it would be great if he could. People just don't like to pay for quality . . . or the time and materials in quality.
        Last edited by Sandy Navas; March 7, 2011, 01:00 PM. Reason: added something
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Blondie
          Missouri Star
          • May 2010

Hi Shirley
          I have a friend locally who has a handy hubs. He makes lovely wooden things and has sold some but as Sandy said, it is the economy. we have gotten so used to purchasing inexpensive imported goods that I wonder how many of the younger generation will know what really good workmanship is?
          You may want to consider like Gina suggested and put it "out there" about your hubs considerable talent and reasonable prices. I have been needing to purchase a few ruler stands but the guy in town wants an arm and leg. I don't need burnished mahogany. Simple plywood to keep them in line would work for me. LOL. I would purchase from ebay but always worry about that and the shipping for me is always too much.
          Another thing you may want to consider since you have done shows in the past, right? Take some good photos, bring a few speculative pieces and test the waters. Perhaps some friends who work in offices would like something like this and would take orders. I have sold a lot of my dolls this way through photo albums and one sitting on the desk.
          Sure wish my hubs had been born with the handy man gene.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• Andrilla
            Honey Bun
            • Feb 2011

Oh, I would love to buy one if I was somewhere that I could put it (apartment, no holes in the wall). It is absolutely beautiful. Quilt hangers can be hard to find, at least in my area. My mom spent a good bit of time looking for one to hang my great-grandmother's quilt on. Even then, the one she got is okay, but it isn't as nice as the one that you have. (It was also larger, so multiple sizes would be awesome.)

Comment

• Lola2Ace
              The Guild President
              • Aug 2010

I love that quilt hanger/shelf and would buy one from you in a heartbeat. It matches the wood in my house almost perfectly the color may just be a tad off but it could just be my monitor, and I have the most awesome spot for it. How is the quilt connected? I can't quite tell from the pic. Your hubby did a great job, and I agree with the advice, just make a few and test the waters.
              Lola
              :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

• Shirley
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2010

Thank you Everyone for your comments. Great tips. Lola the quilt is held up by the piece of wood that goes across the front (where the knobs are) the knobs screw down and holds the quilt. They do not screw into the quilt. I make sleeve hangers and slip stitch them on the back of the wall hanging and that is what holds them up.
                Thanks again for your advice.
                Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

• debinmalaga
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2009

What a beautiful rack! He did a lovely job, and I wish you success in selling them. If I wasn't broke as a joke I'd buy one in a heartbeat :-).
                  There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

• Connie Chamberlain
                    Quilting Royalty
                    • Mar 2011

My husband makes mine.I have a couple he's made out of Oak.Connie C

Comment

Working...
                    X