No announcement yet.

How to use quilt blocks for a curtain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use quilt blocks for a curtain?

I used a Dr. Seuss charm pack and some of the jelly roll to make disappearing nine-blocks. To make them really big, I also sashed them with jelly rolls. Now I have four big blocks that I want to put together as a valance for granddaughter's room.

Now, how should I proceed from here? I know it needs to be lined, but should I use quilt batting and quilt? And then just put on a piece for the curtain rod to go through?

Advice?

Re: How to use quilt blocks for a curtain?

Use light weight muslin or cotton for the lining, no batting. Either fold it over at the top to make a channel, or add a piece of fabric and inch or so down from the top for a rod to go thru.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Hi it sounds like a great way for a cute valence! I would use whatever color backing but no batting, it will be hanging so less weight. I'd make a sleeve for the rod first, then stitch right sides together leaving room to turn, turn and edge stitch around the whole thing except the two sleeve sides. Just my thoughts. You could also put some piping in when you do it right sides together so when you turned it, the piping would be trim on the outside.

I'd not want the batting only because of the extra weight not needed. A favorite home dec website of mine is Sew4Home. This will give you a ton of ideas also. Can't wait to see how you finish this! Good luck

Sew4Home | Transform Your Space
      Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

Do what the others say EXCEPT I like to use those decorative metal rings with the little pincher type pins. The rings go on the rod and then you just pinch the top of the fabric where you want it - every six to eight inches or more or less. I use those a lot; the fabric just swooshes across the rods. And you don't have to make the rod pocket.

Comment

It also depends on how much fabric you have. If you are putting it on with a shirr on the rod sleeve you do need fullness for it to look cute. If you are short on fabric then quilting it and hanging it on a rod more like a cornice could look very cute and show off some pretty quilting.

Comment

Oh my gosh Debbie, what a great link! Thanks so much, now what to do, hmmmmmm......
            Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.

Comment

If you live near an Ikea, they have a cool curtain system that uses a sliding rod and the clips. They were very inexpensive to buy (because I just did a couple weeks ago) and have a nice look.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
              X