Just Curious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Curious?

How many of you do not quilt your quilts, but have someone else do it for you?
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Just Curious?

I have only quilted my own at this point.
    I've tossed around the idea of sending one out, but I love seeing the transformation from flat sandwiched fabric to yummy textured quilt!
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I usually quilt my own. I have done a few table runners and my Dad's humungeous quilt on a longarm which I rented out. And I did send out my sister's humungeous quilt to a shop but waited a year (won't do that again). Guess I would rather do it myself and save the money - I like seeing the transformation too while it's being done. I can machine quilt on my small home sewing machine - it's a struggle sometimes with the thread and the space I have, but as long as I am not frustrated, it usually works out. I also don't do any fancy pantographs or designs - happy with the all over stippling. Not going for any prizes so it works for me.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Me too, but I really want to make a queen size quilt--but it just seems so daunting to try and quilt on my domestic sewing machine. If I can find someone to quilt it at a reasonable price I may do it. I think I need to just make a practice queen size quilt. I would hate to ruin my quilt top with my crappy machine quilting.
        Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

I have always quilted my own. I always felt if someone else does it its not completely from me. I have been tempted to take one down because im getting behind..lol. I have one to donate so maybe I will take that one. I have been looking at frames to get my own but don't know which one to get and the cheapest
          Patrice

Comment

I do both. I quilt smaller things like tablerunners & lap quilts myself. Anything bigger I send out to a longarm quilter. I have tried bigger things but was not happy with my results. I just can't seem to manage getting a large quilt through my machine without making a mess of it,

Comment

I quilt my own - and you're right, managing a queen size on a home machine can be tricky, but it can be done if you take your time and accept that the middle area is going to be cumbersome to do.
              There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

I've been having lots of fun using my embroidery machine to do the quilting. The embroidery designs for quilting are expanding on-line so there are lots of choices. I've figured out a way to hoop the quilt using binder clips. I discovered pretty quickly that trying to put 2 layers of fabric and a layer of batting into the hoop the typical way doesn't work very well. I figured out that if I just use the lower part of the hoop under the quilt, then use binder clips and clip the quilt taught with those instead of the top part of the hoop it's works. It makes the process fairly simple. I have a contraption that I bought from my sewing machine dealer that helps me with placement. I also use my walking foot for the straight line quilting. Of course I could buy the $500 acufil upgrade for my machine that comes with a quilting hoop and lots of other goodies, but that would require me to stop buying the "Daily Deal!!!"
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Newbie with just a couple of tops done, but not quilted. I really planned on sending them out, but I can't part with them, even for just a little while. I am currently practicing and learning to quilt on an older style inherited quilting machine. Won't touch those pieced tops for awhile, but that will be the plan......eventually. I do machine quilt smaller projects on my sewing machine, but these two tops are kings! So much to learn and practice!!! SuzyQue

Comment

I quilt my own and do for the larger ones, do them with hand stitching. I am just not good at machine quilting - it is perhaps my machines. I do enjoy the peaceful feeling when I am hand stitching. Very relaxing.
                    Sewing mends the soul.
                    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                    X